Microsoft Streets and Trips Being Discontinued :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

S&T Web Site:

"Today we announce the end of another era, the discontinuation of Microsoft Streets & Trips. We so appreciate the support of our dedicated users over the years.

This retirement will not affect software already installed. Current users may continue to use Streets & Trips to plan their travel adventures and will have online support until July 14, 2015. Streets & Trips 2013 will be available for purchase until December 31, 2014. "

Have awhile to find a new map program but am looking for recommendations.  We travel with S&T on a front area laptop with GPS active.  Have always liked have a big display screen.  In city driving w also activate our Garmin for street by street voice driving directions. 

Those that use a laptop for trip planning navigation with other than S&T, what is your favorite program??

I've use the DeLorme products for many years, the current one being Street Atlas USA USA.  With the many available draw files (points of interest) for it, there is no other program that can offer as much power and flexibility today.  For even more capabilities, DeLorme also has their Topo product, but that's more than most people really need.

Wow!! I didn't know they even made that product anymore.  I haven't seen it since they were bought out by Microsoft.  I've used Street Atlas with a USB GPS for years, and also have Topo maps from Delorme.  I have two separate mapping/gps apps in my Smartphone, and two separate mapping/gps apps on my Ipad.  I have a TomTom in my LT Serenity, and I just bought a Garmin 760 RV model GPS standalone and I have a Garmin Etrex handheld.  I guess you could say I like maps and technology.
But as Nick said, Street Atlas is the way to go if you are replacing it on yer laptop.  I update about every 3rd year with SA.  Haven't upgraded Topo USA for 6 years as I figure the mountains don't change much.

Chip

Thanks Ned

Googling reviews and comparisons in general leads to:  S&T is (was) easier for 1st time users and Street Atlas USA has better features for those that learn how to use it.  Looks like for people who own both programs that they are both held in good regard with Street Atlas USA winning out about 60/40. 

I will continue to use S&T for at least another year or two but will probably get Street Atlas USA in the future and start getting familiar with it and ramp up its use.

Thanks again

I used Street Atlas for years but switched to S&T 5 years ago because it was easier to use for simple things like verifying a street location or checking what's in the immediate area of a destination. Now I tend to use Google maps more, whether on PC or tablet or phone, but I'm still gonna miss S&T when it finally becomes obsolete. For me, it's still the best & easiest way to get an idea about alternate routes and see what's along the way.  But I figure my 2013 edition will be usable for at least 5 years more and who know what will come along? Or whether I will even need a map program then.

Because I use a pad so much I can't remember the last time I used our S&t 2011. Guess I will always keep a copy installed in case.

I keep asking myself whether or not it is worthwhile buying the latest version since it contains 2013 maps, soon to be 2 years out of date. The version on my computers I currently use from time to time is quite a bit older though. My GPS, which is used most often, has the so-called "lifetime" maps (Garmin's definition of lifetime, not mine!!)... but I still like the easy to use S&T version on the big screen of the computers. I did use it with a GPS connection while I had the appropriate GPS from my boat but no longer have that GPS (or the boat!!).

I used to regularly use Camground Navigator which provided me with both routing information and details about campgrounds along the route. I found the program really helpful but the mapping business must have become very competitive because Campground Navigator went out of business about 2 years ago. I still use it since the maps were up to date and roads don't change that frequently but each year the campground information gets older and older.

I would like to find a good mapping program that does not require internet access so I could use it while traveling. For now I am using my Rand McNally 7720 RV GPS.

MikeFromMesa said:
I used to regularly use Camground Navigator which provided me with both routing information and details about campgrounds along the route. I found the program really helpful but the mapping business must have become very competitive because Campground Navigator went out of business about 2 years ago. I still use it since the maps were up to date and roads don't change that frequently but each year the campground information gets older and older.

I would like to find a good mapping program that does not require internet access so I could use it while traveling. For now I am using my Rand McNally 7720 RV GPS.
I, too, use Road Trip navigator 2012.  I bought 2013 version, but since Good Sam dumped it, the campground database sucks.  Now I depend a great deal on campground POIs plus the old data in RTN2012.  Still works reasonably well.

I don't believe so, no.  And the help doesn't address exporting of routes, just draw files and tracks.

Well that's pretty disappointing, I really liked S&T. Like Len I use it up front on my laptop for turn by turn with my gps receiver. Guess if I upgrade to 2013 I can use it and the POI files for another 5 yrs or so. Thx for the head's up.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
for those of you using Street Atlas,can you create routes and upload to a GPS? Specifically a Garmin Nuvi 760?

That's one of the reasons I purchased my Garmin 760 as they have a program included that you put on your laptop called BaseCamp.  The idear is you make up your itinerary and routes on the laptop, and then you can sync it with the Garmin.  It's a good theory anyways. 
In practicality, Street Atlas is so much better and more intuitive than BaseCamp.  And in practicality when on the road, I just use the Garmin with the voice recognition software which works really really well. 

What I really really wish is that Delorme would release an Android/Ipad version of Street Atlas.  I - who have about upteen thousand GPS and mapping probrams - would pay $100.00 for it.  That would be way cool.  One app on either my Android phone or Ipad or Windows laptop.  Kinda like how Kindle works.  Yes I have CoPilot and MapDroyd and they are all junk compared to Street Atlas.
Ok, back to work.
Chip D

Chip D said:
That's one of the reasons I purchased my Garmin 760 as they have a program included that you put on your laptop called BaseCamp.  The idear is you make up your itinerary and routes on the laptop, and then you can sync it with the Garmin.  It's a good theory anyways. 
In practicality, Street Atlas is so much better and more intuitive than BaseCamp.  And in practicality when on the road, I just use the Garmin with the voice recognition software which works really really well. 

What I really really wish is that Delorme would release an Android/Ipad version of Street Atlas.  I - who have about upteen thousand GPS and mapping probrams - would pay $100.00 for it.  That would be way cool.  One app on either my Android phone or Ipad or Windows laptop.  Kinda like how Kindle works.  Yes I have CoPilot and MapDroyd and they are all junk compared to Street Atlas.
Ok, back to work.
Chip D

The problem I've found with Base Camp is that you have to have the GPS connected to be able to use the maps.
And I've found it a bit more difficult to use than when I was using Mapsource with earlier GPS.

I have read that Streets and Trips had the capability to export to the GPS and have been considering purchasing, but now having second thoughts if it is being discontinued.

Len and Jo said:
...Those that use a laptop for trip planning navigation with other than S&T, what is your favorite program??
I've used S&T for years to do pre-trip planning and bought a new version every other year, too bad they are discontinuing the product.  With the proliferation of smartphones, tablets, etc and free mapping, the discrete product navigation market has collapsed.  Garmin realized they have to include free map updates on a GPS because of Google Maps always being current.

I've used CoPilot Live on a laptop for navigation for years and wouldn't use anything else at this point in time.  The user interface is simple, effective and intuitive and you can specify height limitations.

Molaker said:
I, too, use Road Trip navigator 2012.  I bought 2013 version, but since Good Sam dumped it, the campground database sucks.  Now I depend a great deal on campground POIs plus the old data in RTN2012.  Still works reasonably well.

I downloaded a large number of POIs from www.Poi-Factory.com to store on my RV GPS. They are mostly user compiled and hence there are a lot of problems, but after massaging them a bit they all work. While it does not let me plan out an RV trip in advance the fact is that our trips almost never end up being what we thought they would be. Typically we get someplace, see something that looks interesting and head in a new direction. When that happens the custom POIs are really, really helpful.

I use the Combined US Campgrounds POI file from POI-Factory and import it into Street Atlas.  It has a lot more campgrounds in it than SA does in its database.  This site has many POI files for Street Atlas and other mapping programs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom