Microwave or water heater over sized rocker switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillH52

Didn't find a topic to ask this question on, so will do it here. 

Our 5th wheel has an over sized rocker switch which directs the electrical power to either the microwave or the water heater.  Lately, seems when flipping it to the water heater position, the contact isn't being completed.  After a period of time, we discover we have no hot water.  ARRRGGGHHH.  Cold shower time again!!

Pushing the "water heater" side of the rocker to make double sure it is in the correct position doesn't really seem to move anything at all, but in a little while it is obvious the water is heating.  Thinking the switch is wearing out and needs replacement; however, haven't been able to pull up this type of switch. 

Anybody have the correct name for this type switch?  The names I've tried are obviously not correct.  Thanks for your input.

It would really help Bill if you could put up a pic of it with the make and model of the RV that it is in. Someone here on the forum probably has a similar model.  BTW, welcome to the forum!

We have an oversized rocker switch to turn our hot water tank to the electric position. However, ours is just a plain household type. Does yours look like something you would find in the electrical section of Home Depot or similar? Some household light switches are made in that style of an oversized rocker.

Looks like a "deco" style light switch such as used in homes and offices. Readily available at Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware store.

Sure looks a lot like this.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Decora-15-Amp-3-Way-Switch-White-R62-05603-2WS/100078412?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204397451-_-100078412-_-N

BillH52 said:

Yep, as I thought.  As kbdgoat says, they are readily available in pretty much any hardware store.  Standard house wiring type switch, but this one will be a 'single pole double throw' type.  Just remove the one you have and take it with you as a sample.  Unplug your unit from the shore power before removing the faceplace and switch.  Take a picture of the wiring before you disconnect anything, or maybe even tape some small tags on them to identify them.  Then take the defective switch to your local hardware store, and they will match it for you.

You don't have to use the exact same style if you don't mind changing the faceplate as well.

Step one: UNPLUG
Step two: Flip that switch 50-100 times both ways
Step Three: plug back in

NOW: I can not guarantee this procedure beyond the ultimate MONEY BACK guarantee (your Free is already refunded).

But sometimes a switch needs a bit of cleaning

IF that don't work. I see others have made excellent suggestions.

I have a similar "conventional" looking switch in my FW with a center OFF.  It powers either the living room fireplace OR the bedroom fireplace.  In your case, you do not need the center off.  What you need is a SPDT switch - single pole (one wire on) double throw (one wire out from each position).  This is  a standard 3 way light switch.  Pick one up anywhere that sells light switches in the style and color of your choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom