Microwave questions - needing a new one for my old 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mijdeets

We have a 1994 Travelair Rustler and I'm assuming the microwave is just as old ha ha.  Right now it only works for either 22 seconds or 2:22 seconds so we have managed but would really like a working one.  On the front it says RV Microwave.  Do I need to specifically buy an RV microwave or can I buy anything  from Walmart or otherwise as long as it fits the hole?  I'm really a newby to this kind of stuff so I'm not sure if the microwave must meet RV specifications or code?  Also, are there trims I can buy from somewhere to go around the microwave or am I just going to have to make something myself?  I have measured the hole so I at least have that info!  Thanks in advance!

Anything that will fit should be just fine. But be sure that mounting it will work, too, even though it may be the right dimensions otherwise. I don't know of any trims available, but others may know more about that.

Measure the opening, take your tape measure to the store and start measureing.  Pick one with features you like that fits yoir measurements.

When the original Sharp microwave in our motorhome died I found a Hamilton Beach at Walmart that was a perfect fit in the ventilated trim from the Sharp. The only mods I had to make were gluing down small spacers for the feet to get the height right, and a couple of minor bends on the original trim mounting straps before attaching them to the microwave with small sheet metal screws. The cost was $77 about 4 years ago...

Attachments

• 2015-11-16 09.29.27.jpg
    2015-11-16 09.29.27.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 14
I've replaced a number of microwaves but it been a long time since messing with one that old.  You may have to get creative in mounting it.  But you should be able to find a close enough fit.

I suggest you take the old one out and measure it, find what style of venting it uses and so on before looking for a replacement.  Once you know those things you can likely pick one that will fit 'on the first try'.

Or if you're really adventurous take the cover off it and find the control and display boards and see if you can get replacement(s).  Not much chance but it'll be fun.  Be aware that there is high voltage in there even when unplugged.

On the other hand a microwave that old is probably worn out and not producing much cooking power.

I don't know about a very old rv, but all of the ones for the past twenty years or longer have regular microwaves, that just plug into a normal 120 volt receptacle behind them.
I replaced one in one of my trailers. Just make sure you secure it properly.

jack L

In my motor home the Microwave says DOMETIC a common RV brand but if you open the door and look at the info tag it says LG. that's Luck Goldstar and I've never been Lucky with goldstar products..  Mine works and works as it should.. because I'm trained in electronics and engineering (One part had to be re-machined and another is a GE part that is a superior replacement for the LG Part)

What I'm saying is this.
RV microwaves come in two types. and the type is determined by the MOUNTING

One is a common countertop device  Any counter type will do you may need to "mount" it however

The other is mounted in an enclosed cabinet. These may need some special venting (mine does) and as a result Dometic put some sheet metal to vent the exhaust (high mositure air) to the front .. Some Microwaves are designed to do that out of the box but on mine they put some sheet metal. You may need to do likewise.

These are all great comments!  Thanks so much.  My brand is also a Dometic brand and it does just plug into a regular 120v outlet.  It slides into a "hole" made for the microwave.  I don't think there is too much for me to worry about for the mounting?  Basically I will just be sliding it back in and securing it down somehow.  I never thought much about the venting.  I will need to look at it closer.  I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of the venting is.  What kind of danger would there be if I didn't get the venting correct?  I've been looking at some microwaves online and just can't seem to find one yet that fits my hole properly. Most of them are much smaller than my hole or stick out a couple inches more.  I have some trim on the current microwave but it's not enough to fill the gaps around the microwaves I'm finding.  I may need to try and create my own trim but I will keep looking at the various sizes!

Microwave Ovens, by design, are supposed to make heat. They all have fans to exhaust excess heat and especially for its internal electronics (which is what makes them work).

So, if the heat can?t exhaust, then the electronics can overheat and either fail outright or have a much shorter life.

Another issue with venting is the moisture released when defrosting and cooking food.  Unless it is directed out of the cabinet the microwave is mounted in you'll have a perfect environment for mold and mildew growth.

Excuse me, my RV does not have a pre-installed microwave. Can I use home microwave or should I buy a new one for my RV? Do you have some advices for me? Thanks!

You can use any microwave that fits - there is no such things as an "RV" microwave.  However, be aware that a microwave is a high power consumer, similar to a toaster or hair dryer.  Take care to avoid overloading the branch circuit and don't be surprised if a breaker trips wen using the microwave.  Including the main breaker at the campsite power pedeatal.

Emma21 said:
Excuse me, my RV does not have a pre-installed microwave. Can I use home microwave or should I buy a new one for my RV? Do you have some advices for me? Thanks!

Not knowing your RV, if it were me, buy one or take your home unit, but I?d get a heavy duty extension cord and run it separately to the campground post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom