Might buy this RV- but rubber roof needs re-coating???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stella

It has no leaks. The white is all chalky and wearing thin. Is this something I can do myself? The shop repair quote for $5k might be a deal breaker. :(

Please advise.

Many thanks!
This will be our first RV

From my understanding, as long as the rubber is in good shape, you should be ok.

Mine was chalky too.  What I did, was clean the heck out of it with simple green, to remove the chalkiness.  I then put two coats of henry's solarflex 287.  I've been very happy since doing this.  The roof is a nice white color, also the solarflex stuff keeps the inside a lot more cooler now.  I noticed a big temp difference.  I bought the gallon bucket for around $60.  I used maybe 1/4 of it.  I plan on adding more coats as needed during my roof maintenance checks. 

Also, you could use the 5K shop repair quote, which is ridiculous, as a bargaining tool to lower the price of the RV. 

chaulky is normal on a EPDM roof and the membrane is very thin. unless you see patches of fabric through the rubber it prob. does not need replacement. there are recoating product available fairly cheap. use the search fuction above look for kool seal rv.

steve

Even if you see the fabric structure, if it is not torn or punctured, you can re-coat it with Liquid EPDM and have a very strong and durable roof.

You guys are so awesome!!!!

I am totally game to do it myself and really appreciate the confirmation that I can.

Barring anything else major from the inspection I will buy it!

Just wanted to follow up and say the rest of the Gulfstream checked out great and I bought it. Thank you all for truly being the friendliest and most informative place on the Internet !

Congrats SMV*****! Hope you have loads of fun in it! Don't sweat the small stuff and we are here for help!

BTW, put your first name in your profile. It makes for a more friendly atmosphere and makes it easier to remember who you are for continuing threads.

Steve

You could call Minnesota Roofing and RV.  320-763-7100.  They have a product you use a long knap roller to apply.  I've used it and it was easy to apply and work with.

kjansen said:
You could call Minnesota Roofing and RV.  320-763-7100.  They have a product you use a long knap roller to apply.  I've used it and it was easy to apply and work with.

I have not used it myself but a shop I use in southern CA uses it for coating roofs.  I saw them applying it one time and it looked like it could be a D_I_Y project.  See http://www.rvroofmn.com/

The finished product was awesome.  It made a big difference on the inside temperature also.

Wow! It looks fantastic!

Sounds like I can do it for sure. I would like to get rid of the chalky streaks on the windows after rain and dew too....

Thanks so much! As soon as I can afford it I am getting some!

I have a 1991 Tioga with a rubber roof also, search this forum for more topics regarding EPDM roof coatings. I coated our roof a number of years ago, after a through cleaning. seems i remember the 5 gallon bucket costing about $160, I used about half, and gave my brother thenrest for his his Jamboree. roof still looks pretty good. messy, and be sure to wait until roof is COMPLETELY dry/cured before attempting second coat - I didn't, and my footsteps the next day stuck and started to pull coating up. I waited a few days later, then applied coat #2. good luck and welcome.

Great advice, I would have been impatient to add the second coat too!

Hello Group,
I'm finding this discussion very interesting and pertinent to my situation. My wife and I just bought a 2003 Coachmen travel trailer and I've been wondering if what we have is a rubber roof. I believe it is. Can anyone confirm that? It is dirty and dingy looking and I've wondered about it's overall condition allthough it doesn't seem to leak. I would welcome any advice on how to care for this roof as I strongly believe in preventive maintenance.
Thanks,
Richard Pittenger
Troy, Ohio

Hi Richard,

Welcome to RVing! We are newbs together!

I am sure someone can answer this better but I will be happy to take photos of my roof and post them tomorrow for you here. I will be sure to shoot the areas that my mechanic pointed out to me where the black rubber is showing through the chalky white coat.

Nice to not be the only new person here. :)

Stella

I took the gamble and the twilight photos turned out pretty good.

In the case of my RV the rubber patches that are beginning to show are around the edges.

Does this look like your roof?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 45
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 41
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 36
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
Stella,

From looking at your pictures, the first thing you need to do is get some rubber roof cleaner. Follow the directions to a tee and it will take care of 90% of the dark spots and remove a lot of the chalking.

Step 2 will be to get several tubes of self leveling EPDM caulk and reseal your seams. Remove any old caulk that is loose and apply a new bead, coat over any that is cracked but firm. pay special attention to areas around vents and front cap seam.

Once all that is done you may well decide that you do not need to recoat the roof. it really does not look too bad from the pics.

Steve

For a lot of good tips and in your case the roof caulking, try here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RVgeeks

You will have to search a little but it will be worth it.  I ahve copied a number of the tips, etc. so I will have them onmy compputer for when I need them.  Typically that would be during our stay at QZ when there is lots of help around.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom