Mile Zero to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you make fun of my fishing hero Ardra. Anyway, I can see that henry and Margaret have really great time with family. All the photos you are posting here Henry makes me wanting to go to Alaska. Thanks for sharing mate.

No, he's not quiet ready to teach me because he needs a few more years under is belt. Jan are you back home now?
    Heading out today on a river raft trip with camera in hand.

If you don't buy that shinny red 4 dr. jeep you might get more than a goofy award.
  "What Momma Wants Momma Gets".

Went on the RUN Wild River Adventures Raft ride 13 mile down the Kenai River. We saw about 6 bald eagles, bear and lots of fish being caught. Attached is a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Kenia River Raft Ride 003-001.JPG
    Kenia River Raft Ride 003-001.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 49
  • Kenia River Raft Ride 034.JPG
    Kenia River Raft Ride 034.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Kenia River Raft Ride 048-001.JPG
    Kenia River Raft Ride 048-001.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Kenia River Raft Ride 060.JPG
    Kenia River Raft Ride 060.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 44
Fantastic looking pictures Henry,  thanks for posting them.  It looks like you and Margaret are having a great time by the smiles on your faces.

Mike.

Henry:
  Great pics.  So glad you are having a great time and sharing it with all of us. I'm making my list of all the places I want ot visit once I get a chance to go.  I saw you asked if Jan was home yet?  They are not, but going soon.  I know because they are coming to our house tomorrow  ;D  We are going to have a mini rally while they are on their way to put their MH back in storage here in CA.  We are really excited to have them to our house and hear all about their adventures.  I will try to post something after we get together.  I just can't wait to see monkey again  :eek:  Hope the rest of your trip is teriffic.  Keep the pics coming!

Steve 

Yep Henry, as Steve saying, still here in U S and A. I will see them tomorrow and we will be planning next year. I can't see anything about Texas rally, so we will book Moab and maybe some other places. I wander if you and Margaret will be joining the group next year and what will be your plans for next season. I am missing you Texans and Monkey do as well. Olga just said to me that she is really looking forward to see Margaret again.
The stuff you are doing over there is just so fantastic. Can't wait to open good bottle of Australian wine with you and have a good chat about all of this.
Or maybe you guys can have extra mini holiday at our place in Sydney this year. That would be super. You can fish from my jetty, But I doubt that salmons or Halibut will be there. Just bream or flatheads.
Cheers for now and enjoy Alaska and mainly your family.
Jan

Henry Wishard said:
  Bears were all over the Russian river today. My son was staying in a tent at Russian River Campground and awoke with a bear outside of his tent. We went fishing and you could hear the sound of gunshots all morning. People were trying the scare the bears away. Sure wish I could have brought my pistol with me.
Warning shots are worthless and do no good.  Simply fish with the bears and if the approach to close simply move as they pass by.
Kinda Funny.  The locals will fish with the bears but give more than ample space to a momma moose to ensure they don't end up between a momma and her calf knowing that the results of that could be catastrophic.  Tourists all run from the bears but have no fear of the pretty moose's.....lol
If only they knew..... ;)

Thanks for all the reply's. We have been very busy with the grand kids up and down the Kenai  Peninsula. Went to the Sea lift center in Seward and also visited the Exit Glacier while we were there. Saturday was their last day in Alaska and on the way to the airport we stopped in to the Wildlife Refuge Center. Linda we didn't forget out Tour saver books, Yes we have 2 of them. 
  Today is another day and I am back to fishing. Drove down to Sterling and met up with Gary. We ended up fishing out of Soldotna and happy to report we caught our limit of 6 salmon each. Both of us landed a king salmon and released it back into the Kenai River since the season on kings is closed. Pictures to follow.

Here are a few pics taken Friday and a couple from today's fishing. 

Attachments

• Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 005.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 005.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 014.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 014.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 028.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 028.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 034.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 034.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 038.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 038.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 061.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 061.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 068.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 068.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 071.JPG
    Exit Glacier and Alaskian Sea Life Center 071.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Fishing the Kenai 003.JPG
    Fishing the Kenai 003.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Fishing the Kenai 002.JPG
    Fishing the Kenai 002.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 33
Henry Wishard said:
  Both of us landed a king salmon and released it back into the Kenai River since the season on kings is closed. Pictures to follow.
Henry, glad you saved money.  I'm willing to spend to get what I want, but I love a good deal.  Now, with all your fishing success, I assume you've had an opportunity to eat all the different kinds.  What do you think has the best taste?  I'm so glad you're hitting the fish jackpot.  You definitely have the right technique.

Wow Henry, what a catch!!!

This is fun, because I know right where you are.  Have you filled your freezer yet?  We saw lots of people with little freezers sitting in the back of their trucks or inside the RV bays with long plugs going back to the campsite post or to a generator.  I still have a couple pieces of salmon in my freezer at home from our fishing trip out of Seward last year. 

Keep the photos and log coming.

Marsha~

Henry,
  STOP, right now--just STOP. ;)  Those fish are headed to the Russian river for me to catch the first week of Aug....lol
Nice catch.  Definately a solid run this year.
I haven't made it down yet, nor heard about the size of fish, but your pics lead me to beleive the fish are pretty good size this year too. :)

The Halibut is definitely great fish but I like Salmon just as much. We are trying it fried tonight. I ate Salmon on the way up here at all the suggested spots but none of it compared to what I have caught. I want waste my time or money on any Salmon bake the next trip. " That's just my opinion' .
  Marsha, I did buy a freeze in Soldotna and it's almost full. We filled the freeze in the coach and had no room for other items so we went for the freezer. I am so glad I brought my small generator.
  On the Russian river the fishing is great and the limit have been increased from 3 to 6 per day. The bears are a little troublesome on the river and a few fishermen have lost their catch to them. Yesterdays catch was caught on the Kenai and the fish or running from 7 to 13 lbs.

Henry Wishard said:
  On the Russian river the fishing is great and the limit have been increased from 3 to 6 per day. The bears are a little troublesome on the river and a few fishermen have lost their catch to them. Yesterdays catch was caught on the Kenai and the fish or running from 7 to 13 lbs.

No, the Russian Limit is back to 3 fish.  It went to 6 for the first (early) sockeye run.  You are fishing the second (late) run now.  If the second run hits the Russian hard and they suspect no issues of meeting/exceeding escapment goals then they may again increase the limit to 6 fish.
I can't remember the last time they upped the limit on the Russian for the second run.  Seem alot of the fish hole up in Skilak lake and never make it to the Russian River.
We did GREAT last year the first week of Aug and expect to again this year!

Not sure about the Russian but the Kenai is 6 fish. I was increased a few days ago because of the large amount of fish enter the river. When I was fishing the Russian on the late fish run it was 6 fish per special order posted all up and down the boardwalk. I brought 5 out 2 weeks ago.

On 15 July the Upper Kenai and Russian rivers went back to 3 fish.
On 20 July the limit from Skilak Lake to the Kenai Mouth (Lower Kenai) went to 6 Fish limit and 12 in Posession.

Only posting so no one makes a mistake.  Emergency Orders (EO's) run rampid up here and are hard to keep up with.... ;)

I tell everyone you have to be a "Philadelphia Lawyer" to fish in Alaska. You can be fishing on one side of the river and the other side has different regulations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom