Military Ship & Aircraft pictures & stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a great place to visit. Great stories Fast Eagle,, I can remember as good as today when the men were released from captivity. That was a memory etched in the mind forever.
Yes Sir, I remember that day well. I was still in the Tonkin Gulf, USS America. Watched the news coverage of the POW release in the squadron ready room, black and white TV. And then we flew combat missions into Laos for 2 weeks after the cease fire ;)

Sorry if ive already posted this one. Teton Aviation, at the airport, Driggs, ID. A very nice warbird museum. There is a T2 Buckeye that is in my Navy flight logbook, by serial number. I flew it on a solo gunnery training flight, my birthday, 1969. The airplane is still flown.

USS Independence (CVA-62)

During the Vietnam years I made three long deployments to areas in the South China Sea. The first was a bit historical because it was aboard the Indy which was at that time home ported at Norfolk, VA. The year was 1965 and I was with Navy Fighter Squadron 41 (F-4B aircraft). The Indy was the first carrier deployed from the 6th fleet in the Atlantic Ocean to deploy to the 7th fleet in the Pacific Ocean since WWII. For that deployment the Indy had the first all jet powered air wing aboard.

Because of low level bombing missions, the air wing lost a number of aircraft and those crew members that survived ejections over Vietnam were captures. One of those captured was RADM Jeremiah Denton who became well known for his determination to honorably survive his nearly 8 years in the “Hanoi Hilton”.

As a member of VF-41 I worked as an airframes flight deck troubleshooter – later years known as “final checker”. I worked in that position for the entire cruise.
I flew with these guys in Vietnam:

87BCC54B-4C30-4324-937A-9047948D19EE.jpeg

We were a team, for sure. Can’t tell you how many times the final checkers saved my butt! We ”Got ‘Er Done”.
I have great respect for flight deck guys!

jflight: I was an airwing flight deck coordinator aboard the USS Nimitz, 77-80. The "snakes" were aboard with that very popular paint scheme.

Attachments

• VA-86.jpg
    VA-86.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5
Iran Hostages

Early in 1980 I was an air wing flight deck aircraft coordinator aboard the USS Nimitz in the Indian Ocean. I worked in flight deck control with the ship’s aircraft handler. It was my responsibility to keep the handler informed of all air wing aircraft maintenance needs and those on each launch and recovery cycle. The handler informed me of all spotting locations, and I would relay them to each squadron maintenance control coordinator.

A decision had been made for an attempt at rescuing the American hostages held prisoner in Iran. The USS Nimitz was chosen as the launching platform for the huge H-53 helicopters chosen to make the attempt to rescue the prisoners.

The H-53s were flown to Diego Garcia – a small atoll out in the middle of the IO – and then assembled and flown to the Nimitz. Because of the security of the mission, the H-53s were always secluded in the daytime and only flown when there was heavy overcast or rain. Aboard the Nimitz they were a number 1 priority aircraft, and their movements and flight schedules were controlled by the battle group commander.

In the picture the first one had been received and was being moved to a spot in the hangar bay. The yellow shirts are aircraft movement spotters and directors and are all observing the shipboard movement capabilities for the large H-53s. When there were conditions where the H-53s could not be detected by satellites, they were taken to the flight deck and launched for practicing in low flight conditions and capabilities with huge amounts of extra fuel and passengers/cargo weights.

When looking back at their cause for failure, it should have been obvious that sandy conditions over land in Oman could hinder their performance. At a hundred miles off the coast of Oman there was sand dust on the Nimitz flight deck every day.

Sometimes the military makes decisions that are a little difficult to understand their reasoning. I was do for transfer to shore duty before the Nimitz was scheduled to leave the IO. I was told by my CO that I would not be released for transfer until the hostage mission was complete. My orders arrived. I was to report to the Commander in Chief United States Atlantic Fleet Staff with a report not later than addendum. That’s a four-star Admiral Command. The Air Wing Commander called me to his state room to inform me that there would be no attempt to request a modification to my priority 2 orders. He asked for my input for my replacement from within his jurisdiction. A few days later I packed a travel bag (everything else would be shipped to me) and headed for Diego Garcia. The Nimitz was too far away for launching aircraft to Diego Garcia so I would have to ride the oiler Roanoke for the 7-day1200px-RH-53D_on_elevator_of_USS_Nimitz_(CVN-68)_off_Iran_1980.jpg trip.1280px-USS_ROANOKE_(AOR-7)_underway_off_the_coast_of_Guantanamo_Bay,_Cuba.jpg

I served 31 years in the USN. My primary classification was Aviation Structural Mechanic (Hydraulics).

My first and only duty as part of the ship’s company was aboard the USS Boxer (LPH-4). The Boxer had been converted from its Korean was designation as an attack aircraft carrier (CVA-21) to a helicopter carrier. My assignment on the Boxer was with the AIMD department where the ship provided intermediate maintenance functions for assigned and temp assigned aircraft.

The Boxer was a wooden decked ship with roll-up hangar doors that had to be shored-up when in high winds and heavy seas. It operated mostly in the Caribbean seas area of the Atlantic Ocean until Vietnam. It did not have an angle deck and could transit the Panama Canal to provide replacement US Marines and their aircraft to those serving in Vietnam.

There are many places for RV travelers to visit that have military displays and museums. I'll show you a lot of them in this thread.
I am planning a trip down to Baton Rouge. The last of the Fletcher Class destroyers is on display there. My dad was assigned to the USS Bullard during WWII in the South Pacific, which was a Fletcher Class. I would love to see what he went through to a small extent. I'd also like to see the Sub they have in Muskogee Oklahoma. I've seen the Bowfish in Pearl, and also the Iowa in San Pedro. Love going on Navy vessels.

The one I want to see is the one in Freedom Park in Omaha. It has a single tube and a crew of like 8. It was built just to train ships crews for ASW. Unfortunately, when I tried to get there Iowa and Nebraska were in the midst of a boundry pissing match and the access roads were closed.
Matt

Fighter Squadron 151 USS Midway 1970 – 1973

From July of 1970 to September of 1973 I served with VF-151 (home base, NAS Miramar, CA). During that time we made three deployments to Vietnam aboard the USS Midway (CVA-41) home ported at Alameda, CA. The deployments were 7 mo, 7 mo & 11 mo.

For my first 5 months with VF-151 I was the Line Division’s day time supervisor. After that I worked the rest of my time in the squadron as the periodic aircraft supervisor (X/C). I was one of the few Aviation Structural Mechanics with experience and seniority.

Because of all the time spent at sea with VF-151 I have a lot of pictures. In the late 1960s we were allowed to take operational pictures. Most of mine were taken with a Yashica 35 mm camera.

To keep these posts short I’ll try to use 250 words or less.

The USS Midway only had two catapults, both on the bow. They were completely overhauled before the 1970 deployment and proved to be exceptionally durable.

The nose of the Phantom II is raised for shipboard launching by extending the nose landing gear. The aircraft had an onboard air compressor that provided the pressurized air to extend the nose gear. The minimum was 2200# and the switch was in the port wheel well and actuated by the airframe's troubleshooter.

Attachments

• 1 VF-151 launch USS Midway .jpg
    1 VF-151 launch USS Midway .jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1a VF-151 Line Div Super - 1970 - 1971.jpg
    1a VF-151 Line Div Super - 1970 - 1971.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 1b Phantom in cat extension for launch .jpg
    1b Phantom in cat extension for launch .jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1c VF-151 combat configured art .jpg
    1c VF-151 combat configured art .jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
Fighter Squadron 151 USS Midway 1970 – 1973

From July of 1970 to September of 1973 I served with VF-151 (home base, NAS Miramar, CA). During that time we made three deployments to Vietnam aboard the USS Midway (CVA-41) home ported at Alameda, CA. The deployments were 7 mo, 7 mo & 11 mo.
My bro-in-law was aboard the Midway. I'll have to ask him exactly what year. He was what we call in the Air Force a crew chief. I think the Navy calls it a plane captain?

I spent my time in the AF as a crew chief on F-4's. I've worked C's, D's and E models. Any time a Navy F4 would land at our base I always thought they looked funny with the tall struts. I always understood it was because of the shock of the carrier landings but didn't know about the system to pump up the struts for launch. AF birds didn't have that.

fighter1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom