Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope you get a good guide in Jefferson City with lots of useful info. Looking forward to hearing about what's interesting to see there. My cousin lives there but all she showed us when we were there was Walmart :) (which, BTW, is where stayed overnight).

Wendy

Chet18013 said:
Hi Linda & Dean,

As always your posts are great. I'm originally from Nebraska and I've sure learned a lot about my home state from you.You have given me a list of places for us to visit next time we're there. If you get near the south east part of NE, be sure and stop in Brownville and visit the old Corps of Engineer's side wheeler river dredge they have there. My uncle was the last working captain on it.  Also a stop at the Brownville Milling Co store. They have an exhibit of indian chefs photos that is really great, however the last two times we were there, it wasn't open - don't know why. Also in Nebraska City they have a great display of turn of the century life at the Morton estate, called Arbor Lodge (Morton Salt Mortons and founder of Arbor Day).

Chet

Thanks for the kind words, Chet & Betty.  You guys made my day!  There are 2 primary reasons I write.  The first is to share to help guide others, especially since RVForumers have given me such great guidance.  The other is self-centered.  As we go along, it triggers people's responses, and they give me good tips on where to go/not go and what to see.  It takes me a while to get back in the groove, and for the first time today I remembered to add the "Preview".  Unfortunately, we are past Nebraska now and not returning on this trip, but I have added your info to my Nebraska file for the next time.

Hi Linda,

You have done a much better job of describing the state capitols than I did and have enjoyed them very much.  In Jefferson City I think there is an Elk's Club there that we stayed at.  If you are a member Elk's Clubs are always an option. 

In Kansas you missed an excellent space museum in Hutchinson.  We have been there twice.

October 5, 2011 Day 15 Jefferson City, MO

We were all very relaxed this morning (Picture 1) and got out a little before noon.  I am still working on getting my 200+ e-mails sorted out, and Dean had some paperwork.  We drove 160 miles and missed the campground road, called the wrong RV park (my second choice) for directions, which they gave us, discovered that we were at the wrong place, drove back across town to the right area, called the right phone number, and breathed a sigh of relief when we finally arrived.  Binder Park is just beautiful?trees (but we have great TV and Motosat reception), birds, and we stumbled into an Airstream (our brand of motorhome) group from our area of California.  What luck!  We are going to have a great time here.

Binder Park Campground?FHU with 50 amps, $15 (Can you believe that???) 

Weather?88?, beautiful day, a nice little breeze  My arthritis loves this weather.

Attachments

• IMG_6776.jpg
    IMG_6776.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 11
Lorna said:
Hi Linda,

You have done a much better job of describing the state capitols than I did and have enjoyed them very much.  In Jefferson City I think there is an Elk's Club there that we stayed at.  If you are a member Elk's Clubs are always an option. 

In Kansas you missed an excellent space museum in Hutchinson.  We have been there twice.

Thanks for the kind words.  I didn't get a chance to read your reports.  I wish I had.  I guess I still don't know how to get everything from the Forum.  I would highly recommend that if you come this way again that you try Binder Park Campground.  It is wonderful, and so cheap!

We didn't really go to Kansas.  It was just a side trip from Kansas City to Topeka to see the capitol.  Then I discovered the State Museum, and Dean wasn't excited about making the 2+ hour roundtrip again, but he did it.  He's a good guy!  Kansas will be a future trip, and we'll add that space museum to my state files.  I really appreciate your tips and your knowledge of history.

Hope you are getting some gentle rain and the drought is easing up.

Linda

October 6, 2011 Day 16 Jefferson City, MO

We wakened to beautifully colored leaves blowing past our windshield.  We called the capitol and decided to go on their 2:00 tour (lots of kids on field trips before that).  We had previously driven by the capitol.  It stands out because it is on top of a hill and has a high dome.  I was unimpressed because it was made of limestone and had aged.  Was I wrong!

Our very knowledgeable guide, Ann, was a teacher/librarian before she retired, and she used those skills to good advantage.  We chatted at the desk while waiting for others, and we learned that Missouri?s population (6 million) is less than LA?s (7 million without including any of its suburbs).  Car registration?any year, any make?is $28/year.  The St. Louis Zoo and a state-run farm are free.  A reasonable house here costs $80,000.

Our first stop was an awesome 3-story rotunda, with interesting sayings all around the perimeter of the 1st floor top.  They have relevance today, especially ?Party honesty is party expediency,? and ?Ideas control the world,?  (RIP, Steve Jobs).

Above the rotunda is a dome, and an 8600 pound chandelier with a 90? cable hangs overhead.  Once a year, they lower it to clean it and check the cable, but they keep the date a secret.  It is called The Whispering Gallery because it was designed to allow the tiniest whisper to be heard to the opposite side of the dome.

In the center of the rotunda floor was a bronze state seal (Picture 1).  There was lots of  symbolism:
o The grizzly bears stand for strength and courage.  There are no grizzlies in Missouri or Louisiana.
o The baby bear stands for the hardiness of the pioneers on the plains and their hope to grow their fortunes.
o The crescent moon stands for the hope of a good future and it becoming full.
o I think the 1822 is the year the seal was designed.  In 1821, it was admitted to the Union as a slave state.  At the same time, Maine came in as a free state.
o The eagle stands for might.
o The Latin translates as, ?Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law.?
o The knight?s helmet stands for the military and honoring Missouri?s servicemen.
o The one large star in the middle stands for Missouri, and the 24 small stars stand for the states that entered the Union before them.  However, since Missouri was the 24th state, there should have been only 23 small stars.  Oops!  But, it was already made, expensive, costly to replace, so it has stayed.  Maybe it is symbolic of the fact that everyone makes mistakes.

The entire first and second floors of the rotunda are covered with beautiful murals (Pictures 2 & 3) depicting the elements of nature?water, earth, fire, and air, the people of Missouri, and the history.  These are exquisite, and the artist painted all of them in London.  He never came here before he painted them, and they are all on curved surfaces.  He didn?t even come over here to supervise their installation, but they all fit perfectly.  How did he paint a canvas for a curved wall?  Two of the paintings glow when the sunlight is reflected onto them .  How could he have known?

The first permanent capital was in St. Charles from 1821-1826.  They decided to move the capital to the center of the state so it would be more equidistant for people to get to and so they could use the Osage River and Missouri River for transportation.  Those 2 rivers converge just 12 miles from here.  That second capital burned down in 1837 because of an accident with a fireplace.  The next capital burned down in 1911 after being hit by lightning. 

In a special election, Missourians voted to build a new capitol for $3.5 million. They had to raise money, so they sold bonds.  The people bought $4.5 million worth, so a committee with no politicians on it, picked artists to decorate their new building and the grounds.  This million paid for fountains, statues, and murals.  41 half-moon shaped paintings called lunettes about Missouri?s resources and history decorate the capitol, the Senate and the House. We took the bronze elevator to the 2nd floor.  I liked the bears on top and the use of Roman numerals for the floors? numbers.  (Picture 4)

There are 16 lunettes in the 2nd floor hallway?all have 3-point perspective.  They seem to change size, shape, or they move with you as you walk along.  You really need the guide to be able to see it.  Dean tried to capture it on film.  Look at the bridge opening in Picture 5 when we were on the left, and that same bridge opening in Picture 6.  I loved the picture of the beautiful fall colors of Ha-Ha-Tanka, and I am going to plot it into our itinerary so I can see them in person.  High on one wall was this bronze sculpture.  The big star representing Missouri is obscured, but the 6 little stars represent 6 of the states that the pioneers settled in?Missouri was a ?passing-through? state. (Picture 7)

Jefferson was president when the Louisiana Purchase was made, and Missouri was part of it, so he is honored everywhere.  There are 500,000 square feet in the capitol, and it is all made of Missouri stone, except the columns in the Senate and the House, which are made of solid granite from Vermont and New Hampshire.

Each year they have a golf tournament, which raises money for statues in The Hall of Famous Missourians on the 3rd floor.  So far they have Stan ?The Man? Musial, Walt Disney, Sacajawea, Walter Cronkite, Harry S. Truman, Mark Twain, and J. C. Penney, who I recognized, and 31 others.

We came to the Grand Staircase, and it is amazingly steep and 30? wide.  It is 79 steps long, goes from the first floor to the third floor and the entrance to the governor?s office, which we didn?t get to see.  It is the largest indoor to outdoor staircase in the world.  It is made of limestone, and there are no handrails.  I stayed FAR away from it, although it was magnificent.  I had the same feeling as when I looked down into the Grand Canyon.  Bronze front doors?each 13? x 18?, are the largest cast since the Roman era. 

We enjoyed the House Lounge.  It is a room that would seat about 50, and it has gorgeous walls which tell the history of Missouri until 1931 when it was painted.  It cost $16,000, and the people were enraged that politicians would spend this hard-earned tax money during the Depression.  And the theme of the whole timeline is How the Work of the People Has Changed.  I would have been irate, too!  Under the major paintings are small sub-paintings.  The one depicting the Eradication Order of 1838 was most surprising to me.  The Mormons befriended the Negroes, so the people burned their homes and beat them up.  The politicians didn?t want this violence to continue, SO THEY KICKED THE MORMONS OUT OF MISSOURI!  They went to Illinois, where they were subsequently kicked out of there, too.  This ?Eradication Order? stood in Missouri until 1976, and the one in Illinois was law until 2004!  I asked about one picture, and it is of a Mormon being tarred and feathered. 

I had to ask about women?s rights.  Women first got to vote for President here in 1920.  There has never been a woman candidate for governor.

Benton was considered  the most talented muralist in the United States, but he irritated almost everyone with what he painted.  There is a picture of a baby, Harold Brown, Jr., whose mother is cleaning his bare bottom.  This was just not proper!  He depicted the fighting of the Civil War because Missouri had the 3rd highest number of engagements.  Missourians didn?t want to be reminded of losing the Civil War!  How could he paint a lynching and the destruction done by both sides during the Civil War.  Both sides stole grain, food, and clothing or burned those items if they couldn?t take them with them because they didn?t want them to fall into enemy hands.

We got to see the House of Representatives,, but not the Senate.  Usually, visitors only get to go to the visitors? gallery, but because of my scooter, we got to go into the actual room.  Beautiful stained glass windows surround it.

A bell sounds when it is time for the 163 representatives to come vote electronically.  In the Senate, the 34 senators vote by voice vote.  Representatives may serve 4 2-year terms; senators may serve 2 4-year terms; governors may serve 2 4-year terms.  They earn $38,000 per year + per diem + mileage + medical benefits + retirement.  Usually they meet from January-May, and they have a 1-day session in September to override the governor?s vetoes.  However, they are now in the 5th week of a special session which has dealt with economic issues and teacher-student electronic communications.  They elected a Democratic governor, Republican Senate, and a Republican Assembly.  The other state officers are split about 50-50.

Inside the House is the largest single canvas mural in the world, and it depicts the glory of Missouri.

We had to go outside and see the statues that $16 million bought.  Ceres, Roman goddess of grain, is on top of the capitol dome.  The statues outside were pleasing and full of symbols.  My favorite of the 13 was the Fountain of the Centaurs.  It had 2 centaurs, one wrestling with a serpent, and the other wrestling with a giant fish, which represent the wildness of the West.  There are two boys on each side of each centaur, spraying water on the centaurs to help them, and the fish represent the playfulness of the many small animals in the West. 

I?m not even a novice art critic, but I really liked the art in this capitol.  Of all the capitols we?ve seen (about 30), this is the one which most requires a guide to even begin to realize what you are seeing.  If you go, be sure to get a pamphlet from the Visitors? Desk and see all the statues.

Another pretty day?high 80?s?the wind picked up some today

Attachments

• IMG_6777.jpg
    IMG_6777.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6778.jpg
    IMG_6778.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6779.jpg
    IMG_6779.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6781.jpg
    IMG_6781.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6782.jpg
    IMG_6782.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6783.jpg
    IMG_6783.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6784.jpg
    IMG_6784.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 4
We sure have a lot of neat state capitols!  Thanks for helping bring some of them to life for us.  You amaze me with the details!

ArdraF

October 6, 2011 Day 16 Jefferson City, MO

We got up early ? again ? because I wanted to see the wildlife at Runge Conservation Nature Center, which opens at 8:00.  They have a wonderful museum/visitor center with many exhibits from the area?both dead (big guys like bobcats and many birds) and live (little guys like snakes and fish).  They have a wonderful observation window that looks out on many bird feeders.  I saw 2 cardinals (picture 1), 1 hummingbird who stayed in the shadows, 1 red-headed woodpecker, 6 squirrels, 1 bluebird, and numerous LBBs (little baby birds).  Their staff was knowledgeable and eager to help.

We took the long outside loop trail (they have several paved trails) and immediately met a runner.  I asked him what he?d seen, and he replied, ?About 6 wild turkeys in a tree.  You always see lots of wildlife, usually deer and turkeys.?  Well, we saw about a dozen different species of butterflies, a couple of squirrels, and heard dragonflies. 

The people at the museum said the bluebirds are here year-round.  The trail had two ponds, lots of trees, and the day was gorgeous, and we were there EARLY.  So, where was the wildlife????  Bummer!  I really think we must have just mistimed our visit.

We decided to drive around Binder Lake and look for wood ducks, which are supposed to be here.  We found lots of pretty homes, a dozen Canadian geese, and 1 big white goose. 

I really liked Doorly Zoo, but I am yearning for animals in their native habitat.  It?s looking more and more likely that we will save Iowa for another trip and head south?maybe Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas.  When we were in Iowa, they told us they usually get their first snow in mid-October, and I am snow-averse.

We then came back and cleaned, as we will be seeing good friends tomorrow.  We got a lot done, which feels good.

Attachments

• IMG_6800.jpg
    IMG_6800.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6
ArdraF said:
We sure have a lot of neat state capitols!  Thanks for helping bring some of them to life for us.  You amaze me with the details!

ArdraF

I am glad you are enjoying.  I'm doing this as a record for me to help me remember what we saw, also.  This last guide was so knowledgeable that I reverted to my shorthand (from 2 years of classes in '60 and '61--50 years ago).  I was amazed that it all came back and it was so easy to write down what she was saying.  But....then I had to transcribe it--not nearly as easy, but I figured out every scribble.  I try to only write down what is interesting, but the problem is that it is almost all very interesting to me.

So that's how you do it!  I take notes so I can write about things to the family, but nothing like you.  Never learned shorthand.  Guess that's my problem.  The other day I was looking at some wills from the 1800s and Jerry was trying to help me decipher some of the words in that beautiful flowing cursive they used to write when penmanship was important.  I can't imagine how these kids today who aren't learning cursive are going to take notes when they get to college.  Printing is soooo much slower!  Anyway, Linda, you do a really good job and we're all enjoying both the narratives and the photos.

ArdraF

October 7, 2011 Day 17 Lebanon, MO

Today as Dean hooked up the Jeep, a pretty bluebird flew from limb to limb in front of me, and I knew it was going to be a happy day!  Not just for me?for any spelunkers or geology aficionados out there.  We drove about 3 hours to Jacob?s Cave in Versailles (they pronounce it ver?sales, and it just sounded so wrong?and I heard 3 people say it).  It not only is amazing, but it is fully handicapped-accessible! Jacob was a lead miner, and he saw a small animal dart into a hole.  He followed where it had disappeared and discovered 1/8 miles of tunnels by crawling on his belly through a small opening.  Imagine if he had run into a room with a wild animal in it or it rock had fallen behind him, blocking his path back out!

The cave is mainly bauxite with galena, with some calcite.  If the galena content is sufficient, it could be melted down, and then it would be lead, which could be used to make bullets. If not, the rock could be crushed and become the base for lead-based paint.  However, there was not a sufficient percentage of galena (Picture 1) to be worthwhile.  Jacob found lots of iron ore (Picture 2), but it was such a low grade that it doesn?t even react to a magnet, so the cave couldn?t be mined (Thank you, God!)  He died when he was 51, and he donated it to a boys? orphanage.  In 1950 the cave was dug out further and commercialized.

There are 3 springs which collect into 2 pools (Picture 3).  When it rains, the water flows in through the entrance into the pools, but they are always being fed by the springs, even in drought.  These pools reflect the ceiling, and it looks like there?s a Grand Canyon below.  Rivers of water formed all of the cave?s tunnels.

It?s something you have to see.  If you come, be sure to ask for the guide, Shakola Makalake (blond woman with a drop of Cherokee blood).  She showed us the fossils they have found?peccary bones, elk antlers, bison teeth and bones, a horse?s tooth, and a mastodon tooth and piece of his tusk. (Picture 4)  So this cave has to be ancient.  From right outside the cave, they found Indian artifacts--two sledgehammer heads and a stone ball used for an Indian game similar to lacrosse.

Three earthquakes have affected the cave.  The most recent occurred in December, 1811 and January, 1812.  Both were huge, and the second, called the New Madrid Earthquake, was the largest recorded earthquake on the North American continent.  There was no Richter Scale then, but the Mississippi River ran backwards for 2 days, and it rang church bells all the way on the East Coast.  An earthquake like this is due every 200 years, so as we walked into the cave, we knew it was overdue.  Scary!

As we entered the cave, she showed us two areas that geologists think may have been bear dens.  They are very certain that they have found claw scraping marks and pawprints.  There are two bears on the Missouri flag, and our Capitol guide said there are no bears here and never have been.  But?there is evidence of bears living in this cave.  And?this guide says that black bears are still spotted around here occasionally.  Who is right?

We saw six layers of stalactites which geologists say is evidence of 6 Ice Ages.  We saw cave bacon (Picture 5), streams of calcite.  There are many forms that resemble real-life animals, like this elephant head (Pict. 6), an eagle, and an owl.

Over the years we?ve been in several caves, including most of the well-known ones, but I?ve never seen ?stalacflats? before.  These were the floor of the cave before a flood caused a big river of water to rush down deeper and create new tunnels (Pictures 7 & 8).  The Whale Tail is the largest stalacflat we saw.

We saw the cutest little 2?-3? white fuzzy ball with teeny ears, called a pipistrelle bat.  Yesterday was the first time our guide had seen one in the cave.  We took 2 pictures of him, one with flash, and one without.  That should have made him easy to find.  Not!  Dean and I have each spent an hour trying to find him?I?m almost positive that I know what 2 pictures he is in, and Dean always centers his pics, but we can?t find him. As it gets colder, the Ozark Brown Bat comes into the cave. 

Next, we came to the Cave Garden?formations that looked like corn, pepper, a head of lettuce, pecan, and a walnut.  The formations in the Children?s Zoo (Pict. 9) resembled Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs, a frog, a bunny, Mickey Mouse, Dumbo, and a zookeeper with a dinner bell.

Then we saw evidence of the first earthquake, many centuries ago (Pict. 10).  These fractured stalactites have been there so long, they have had time to heal and re-connect. 

This is an unusual situation. (Pict. 11  & 12)  Every 2 seconds a drop of water hits this stalactite.  This happens whether it rains a lot or if there is a drought.  The water comes from an underground spring.

Sometimes water shoots out of soda straws, making these weird branch-like things.(Pict. 13)

The ?rhinestone dam? made of calcite continues ?cave pearls?.  (Pict. 14) These are calcite and are round.  They continue to grow, but they never fuse together.  They are extremely rare in caving, and these are 40 years old. 

At the end of part of the cave that has been excavated, there is another room that they have crawled back into.  There is an 8? waterfall that runs until the second week of June, and the guide has to yell to be heard because of its roar.  At this point we were 50? underground.

As we made the return trip, we saw a salamander, and this tiny frog (Pict.15)  He sat and posed for the picture, then hopped off.  This has been my favorite day of this trip!

The temperature was a steady 52?.  Admission was $15 each, and it was so worth it!  If RVers want to come in, if you call they will let you boondock at the Swap Meet, which is at the entry of Jacob Cave?s driveway.  They say they have electricity, but Dean isn?t sure if it would work for RVs.

There is a large Mennonite/Amish community in Versailles.  We passed a horse and buggy.  Mennonites drive cars and SUVs, but they are all black.  Lehman?s was recommended as a great place to eat Amish.

Stayed at Walmart in Lebanon.  Reservations in state parks need to be made 2 days ahead, and we aren?t allowed to go in until 3:00.  Check-out time is 2:00.

Weather:  High of  85?, but with the gentle breeze, it is just perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_6842.jpg
    IMG_6842.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6808.jpg
    IMG_6808.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6812.jpg
    IMG_6812.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6815.jpg
    IMG_6815.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6816.jpg
    IMG_6816.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6817.jpg
    IMG_6817.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 8
More cave pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6824.jpg
    IMG_6824.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6828.jpg
    IMG_6828.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6829.jpg
    IMG_6829.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6830.jpg
    IMG_6830.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6838.jpg
    IMG_6838.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6842.jpg
    IMG_6842.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6840.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
I'll have to put this cave on my list of places to visit. We love caves even tho I'm claustrophobic. If you enjoy caves, be sure to put Jewel Cave in S.D. on your list to visit some day.

Wendy
Farmington NM, Rocky Mountain Ramble

You must have been one heck of a good teacher, Linda!  I've learned so much just reading your travel posts.  Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into sharing your travels with us.

Margi

October 8, 2011 Day 18 Lebanon, MO

We were supposed to wait until 3:00 to come into the new campground, but Dean decided to try to get in an hour-and-a-half early.  The family in our space was all ready to leave, but there was a domino chain?they had to move to the space next door, and he wasn?t ready to move?in fact, he wanted to stay late.  So the guy in our future space told him that if he had wanted to stay late, he should have paid for another day.  Oops!  We started a problem by not following the rules.  Eventually we got settled in.

We were anxious to go to Conroy, where our best friends have bought a lovely 3-bedroom home with 31-acres and a fishing lake.  We enjoyed being in the Ozark forest and listening to the wildlife.  We had the BEST barbecued chicken that my friend, Carol, had bought at the local grocery store.  Twice a year a man with a smoker comes and sells barbecued meats there.

Life in this part of Missouri is different.  We had the noisiest night in a Wal-Mart parking lot that we?ve ever had.  Most of the customers have pick-ups, and they haven?t heard of the latest invention?mufflers.  In California, it?s not unusual to see a crucifix hanging from the rear view mirror.  Here, they sport full-sized handcuffs!  Most of the  people smoke?a lot.  They won?t let me change lanes on the highway, no matter how long my blinker is on and it?s obvious I?m trying to move over.  However, when you meet them one-on-one, they are really nice.  Churches here are huge?both in size and importance.  But, I saw a pickup truck (which I guessed was a Chevy) with a bunch of profanity on its back window saying how it was so much more powerful that it could do awful things to a Ford (I cleaned that one up a lot!). Then they make me smile, when I see one guy who apparently doesn?t like raking up the leaves.  He put his ingenuity to work and put a sign in his yard saying, ?Free leaves.  Bag your own.?  We had lunch at a Burger King, and as we exited, we saw a machine that dispenses numbers, like at a Baskin-Robbins, only this one was to take information to apply for a job at Burger King. They?re having an Apple Fair this Saturday.  I hope we are still near enough to come.

I?m waiting until tomorrow to tell the story of Red, a red-boned hounddog because the conclusion of the story should happen tomorrow.

Weather:  High of  80?, but with a very gentle breeze.  When we came home at 9:30, it was 55?.

Staying at Bennett Spring State Park Campground, FHU, 50 amps, perimeter surrounded by beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, $30

Wendy said:
I'll have to put this cave on my list of places to visit. We love caves even tho I'm claustrophobic. If you enjoy caves, be sure to put Jewel Cave in S.D. on your list to visit some day.

Wendy

I do love caves.  I hope you get to visit Jacob's Cave, both for you and for them.  They say they usually have a lot more customers, but there was one family exiting as we entered.  This was on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend, which should have been a busy time.  Our campground at Bennett Springs is completely full, and there are about 160 sites.  The guide spent about 2 hours with us, and we were the only ones in our group.  I enjoyed our guide so much, and I didn't figure she'd have many opportunities to earn a good tip, so I gave her a very generous tip.  That's when she gave me the info on parking--I think she wanted us to come back soon.

Is Jewel Cave handicapped-accessible?  I am trying to talk Dean into doing one LONG trip next year instead of two 3-monthers.  It is still in very primitive planning stages, but I'm thinking about going to Alaska and piggy-backing a fall trip to Michigan for the fall colors.  This would take us through South Dakota, and we could see Jewel Cave.  Thanks for the tip!

Tom and Margi said:
You must have been one heck of a good teacher, Linda!  I've learned so much just reading your travel posts.  Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into sharing your travels with us.

Margi

Margi and Betty, you make me blush.  I loved teaching, and I really enjoy writing the travel posts and reading others' posts.  They enable me to enjoy places I wouldn't have otherwise discovered, like the Jewel Cave Wendy told me about today.  Thanks! 

I believe Jewel Cave has one tour that is handicapped accessible. We did a tour that definitely was not H/C, lots of stairs. But even without the cave, the Black Hills is a beautiful place to visit.

Wendy

October 10, 2011 (somehow, I wrote Oct. 6 logs twice) Day 20 Lebanon, MO

The story of Red, a female, 1-year-old red-boned hounddog, starts 3 weeks ago when my friends Rick & Carol moved into their vacation home in Conway, MO.  They saw Red here and there, and noticed how skinny she was.  They asked their neighbor about her. They said that they don?t have money for extra food, so they fed her whenever they had scraps, and they believed she was a stray.  Rick and Carol knew they would only be here for a month, and they didn?t want her to depend on them for food.  They were hopeful she?d go home.

Fast forward to last Wednesday when Carol heard whimpers in the ?pasture? (the grass area beyond her huge garden).  She found 9 newborn puppies laying on dirt that the mother had cleared of all the grass.  Rick and Carol brought the pups into the barn/shed and put them on a blanket.  They started feeding Red good quality dog food 4-5 times a day.  Red is a wonderful mother, even though she is young.  She nurses her pups and bathes them often.  Her tail wags vigorously non-stop.  She loves to be stroked. 

Rick and Carol have 2 dogs already, and they knew they couldn?t care for 10 new dogs.  So, they feverishly started looking for a no-kill shelter. They talked to neighbors and shopkeepers?anyone who might give them a lead.  On Friday, they found a rescue group, and the lady came out and saw the dogs.  She says that Red is a purebred, and they will find homes for all of them in New York.  She said she would return on Monday to pick them up.

We met Red on Sunday, and I fell in love with her.  She is so gentle, loving, and would be a perfect companion.  If she didn?t have puppies, I would have tried her out with Sherlock to see if they would get along together.  I haven?t ever been so attracted to a dog before.  It wasn?t her beauty; it was her personality, her total joy, that captured me.  I couldn?t believe I was so totally in love with a dog! 

The rescue lady came today and picked up her 9 puppies, and she gently followed them into the crate.  Tears streamed down Rick?s face, and he is a man?s man.  But, we know that she will have a good home.  She is going to St. Louis where a foster family awaits her and the puppies.  We all know it is for the best, but we all miss her.

We spent the day socializing with our friends and eating bar-b-q from the smoker at the local store.  It only comes to town twice a year, and the meat is wonderful.  Carol?s brother came in tonight from their summer home in Canada, heading to their winter home in Arizona, so now we are 6.  We were elated to see them as it?s been a couple of years, and we will start our adventures together tomorrow.

Weather: WIERD!  High of  70?, with clouds. We were outside, apparently sitting  at the edge of a cloud.  Raindrops fell in a 3 foot  swath from the house, and we stayed perfectly dry.  It only lasted a couple of minutes.  The men had gone to the store 2 miles away, and they said it had really poured on them.  We came home about 10:00, and the heavens opened up for about 5 minutes.  Low tonight is supposed to be a balmy 59?.

Staying at Bennett Spring State Park Campground, FHU, 50 amps, perimeter surrounded by beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, $30

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom