MOAB Pre-Rally 2014, Zion and Bryce (Hop-Skip)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We left Zion unusually early for us and had some sprinkles but no snow on the way here.  It's now 4:25 and everything is white.  And the sun just came out!

ArdraF

I say again, glad we decided to stick around here in St Petes.  It is 6 PM, and 92 F, we spent the day at the beach, the gulf is now around 80 F, almost too hot to swim in, but we suffered through it.  Now we're back at the house, the BBQ is fired up and we are having chicken for supper, NO SOUP here! 
    I won't crush the ice for Donna's Margarita, she wants to know if you'd send her some of that fresh white stuff.
    Oh well hope all goes well, and that there are no problems getting there, or with the cold ruining activities.

Ed

Well, while we were in Zion, the much asked question about "Where's Marty" was answered.  He was right where we left him!

Guess we are SOL 'cause we don't have a FRS radio either.  To be honest, not even sure what one is so I'm pretty sure we don't have one. 

We left Zion late, thinking this would be a nice, pretty pull, and we needed to stop in Hurricane for more drugs. Well, there was a tree encroaching my site and a Dodge Ram encroaching the road, so I had to back out of my site which I never do. I should have know that would not be the last of it.

Had a nice ten minute delay north of Kanab for road construction, no prob, Christi loves running barrels when she drives. She thinks there's a big belt buckle if she wins her division.

Closing in on the turn to Hwy 12 to Bryce things got pretty interesting as the road was already covered in snow and we still had 20 miles or so to go, still climbing.

All in all, it WAS a pretty drive, sometimes pretty nerve wracking, but here we are, warming nicely while the temps drop.

Good times!

Attachments

• IMG_1812_540.jpg
    IMG_1812_540.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0001_540.jpg
    DSC_0001_540.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1813_540.jpg
    IMG_1813_540.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 28
Since it was snowing SJ got on the CB and invited any souls who wanted to brave the snow to come over for Happy Hour. We ended up with 13 - actually worked well.

Attachments

• P1030173.JPG
    P1030173.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P1030174.JPG
    P1030174.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 38
  • P1030177.JPG
    P1030177.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 48
  • P1030178.JPG
    P1030178.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 38
  • P1030170.JPG
    P1030170.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 27
  • P1030172.JPG
    P1030172.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 27
Jerry took me to the Bryce Canyon Lodge for dinner.  We both really enjoyed a good meal.  In case you're interested in a nice dinner out, they make most of their food using their own recipes.  Jerry had a carrot orange soup and we both had a wonderful vermicelli dish, Jerry's with chicken and mine with prawns.  They make all their own desserts.  The cr?me brulee was lovely and the chocolate fudge brownie with ice cream was yummy.  Their prices are reasonable.  We went fairly early and most tables in the dining room were full when we left.  We would recommend it.

ArdraF

Thanks for the info John. I guess the next rally/hop/skip/jump we will be better prepared comm wise.

Dave - when you get to Moab you can borrow one of mine.

Bill

Thanks Bill, but we are going to make it to the Moab Rally. We just made it to the hop/skip. Thanks very much for the offer though.

Wow.  Now I'm really jealous we are not there.  Native southern Californians who rarely/never get to see snow, especially in their motorhomes, truly wish they were there.  Although I'd probably make a fool of myself acting like a little kid playing in the snow  :eek:  Looking forward to seeing all of you on Monday in Moab!

Stay warm,

Steve & Dee

Steve N Dee said:
Wow.  Now I'm really jealous we are not there.  Stay warm,
Steve & Dee

Me too, that's the stuff good stories and memories are made.

Steve N Dee said:
Wow.  Now I'm really jealous we are not there.  Native southern Californians who rarely/never get to see snow, especially in their motorhomes, truly wish they were there.  Although I'd probably make a fool of myself acting like a little kid playing in the snow  :eek:  Looking forward to seeing all of you on Monday in Moab!

Stay warm,

Steve & Dee

And I was just thinking the opposite.  Glad we are not there in the snow.  We've had enough of that crap and ready for summer. ;D

We too are looking forward to seeing everyone in Moab.  Today and tomorrow of work is all and then get the coach, trailer and Jeep washed and we are ready to head out. 8)

Be safe traveling everyone and we will see you in a few days.

Mike.

See you soon. Larry is on his way also. Looks like we will have another great group this year and looking at the 15 day forecast for Moab some great weather. Henry

We thought we were bad off because it's a little cold to go swimming; at least we can still wear shorts inMoab ;D ;D This week end looks promising though!  Sending sympathetic thoughts to those who do this to avoid long pants weather as we do.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Sending sympathetic thoughts to those who do this to avoid long pants weather as we do.
Ernie

Being from Las Vegas we are on the lookout for long pants weather when we leave here. 300+ days of sunshine with somewhere around 100 of those days at 100+ degrees and we are always happy with cooler weather. Especially this time of year when it will go to 100 degrees and stay there for the rest of the season; any day now.

Here are a few pics of Bryce Canyon. Will make a few more Friday or Saturday.

Attachments

• Bryce Canyon 006.JPG
    Bryce Canyon 006.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 24
  • Bryce Canyon 009.JPG
    Bryce Canyon 009.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Bryce Canyon 012.JPG
    Bryce Canyon 012.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Bryce Canyon 018.JPG
    Bryce Canyon 018.JPG