Mobile Hotspot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As a follow up to the above:  If I watch one hour of Netflix, how many GB is that?  (I have a flip phone and am not technologically savvy). 

As low as 0.3 GB per hour for low quality video.  SD quality video (480p) uses about 0.7 GB per hour. 

HD video (720p and above) is more complicated because the stream often varies the resolution to fit the available bandwidth, but ranges from about 1 to 2 GB per hour unless you choose to stream in Ultra High Definition.

Netflix lets you control how much data it uses to stream it's video to your device:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Streaming audio also varies according to the quality, often you can select the quality vs the amount of data used here as well:

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-much-data-does-streaming-media-use

We changed our phone service to Visible.  They give truly unlimited, unthrottled phone, text, and data with one hotspot on each line.  Visible uses Verizon towers so coverage is excellent.  The best part is each line is $40 dollars a month TOTAL.  No hidden fees, no contract.

We are currently in very rural Wyoming and have great service, including internet via the hotspot that is fast enough to stream videos without difficulty. 

We are VERY happy with Visible and highly recommend it!  Go to Visible dot com and see for yourself...

Just curious, which part of very rural Wyoming is that? We have VZW phones and JetPack, but speed is not that good in Star Valley, WY. So I leased a DSL line from the local communications company. FWIW AT&T Mobley service here is worse than VZW.

We use a Verizon 8800L MiFi hotspot on a grandfathered $65 a month unlimited 4G/LTE data plan, and an AT&T - Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router on an AT&T grandfathered $23 a month Connected Car (Mobley Sim card) unlimited 4G/LTE plan.
We also use a Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna that fits on both devices. Both devices and the antenna work great!

Unfortunately, both of these plans are not available anymore but the devices are and I would recommend them.

Tom said:
Just curious, which part of very rural Wyoming is that? We have VZW phones and JetPack, but speed is not that good in Star Valley, WY. So I leased a DSL line from the local communications company. FWIW AT&T Mobley service here is worse than VZW.

We are in Boulder,WY.  Of course, you must have some cell service.  But we are getting great speed (streaming) with 1-2 bars of service here.

We tried Visible after reading a post from a techie sort of person that was using Visible for his work.  He also preferred using a cell booster to be sure he got as strong a signal as possible, since it was his livelyhood (and he likes to camp way out in the back of beyond).  We have NOT needed a cell booster at any location that had even one bar of service. (We have travelled the northern tier states from Indiana to Wyoming since getting our phone.)

I would say it would be worth a try for you;  there is no long term contract, and if you have a compatible phone (which Visible will help you determine), all you have to do is switch out the SIM card and give it a try for a month.

Back
Top Bottom