Mobile satellite radio question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FISHnCAMP

Okay I have a pop-up not a motor coach.  I have sirrus satellite radio in my jeep.  So if I want that same luxury when I am camping out I am contemplating the purchase of a  mobile hand-held(looks like an mp3 or an ipod).  Anyway I see they have indoor/outdoor antennas available with a docking station.  Will this get me music?  Am I missing any other device I would need?  How is the reception in the state parks for example, you know somewhere there are lots of trees?  any info would be appreciated.

Indoor will likely work.. Depends on the construction of the PUP. Most are canvas with fiberglass roofs. and that is more or less transparent to radio

Canvas and fibreglass are not transparent to satellite radio. If you have a Starmate or similar unit with a docking station, you can get a boombox that comes with a decent antenna you can run outside. Gets great reception and the sound from the boombox is very good. I have the unit in my motorhome and found that even placing my hand over the antenna will cut signal, so I installed the antenna in my skylight. Full bars, great sound.

I have the SIRIUS STILETTO .  The cradle for indoor listening, has a LOOOOOOOOONG antenna cable.  The thing about it, you need to have a radio near by to "broadcast" to an FM station.

If I were to buy it over again, I would have bought the boombox so I can slide the STILETTO into it.  Either way, I love it.

Edit: Reception in a park i am not sure.  Although, the STILETTO has a built-in visual "Antenna Aiming" indicator.  Its prety cool since you move the antenna around while watching the bars go up and down for the best reception.

My limited experience with the satellite radio in my coach indicates that even modest tree cover blocks the signal. Seems to be very sensitive to interference from overhead objects. I have a roof mount antenna and have also tried a portable one on the dash.

One of the more interesting things about satellite radio is that folks keep telling me it's really cell phone radio (that is the sat's broadcast to cell towers which in turn broadcast to your radio)

I'm inclined to dis-believe these folks, though in truth I've not studied enough to be sure

Roamer's statement.. Supports my view.. that it really is satellite radio.

John In Detroit said:
One of the more interesting things about satellite radio is that folks keep telling me it's really cell phone radio (that is the sat's broadcast to cell towers which in turn broadcast to your radio)

I'm inclined to dis-believe these folks, though in truth I've not studied enough to be sure

Roamer's statement.. Supports my view.. that it really is satellite radio.

Your friends are pulling your leg or are misinformed.

I am most concerned with listening to the satellite radio when outdoors.  You know the Margaritaville station softly playing while sipping on a cold adult beverage.  I have speakers.  I just wish there was a way to  get reception to the speakers from my jeep radio & antenna.

To Kodial.. It would be more correct to say they are ATTEMPTING to pull my leg... Their success has  been minimal on this issue.

To Fish & Camp.  There are several ways to do that.. Assuming the radio works

However, I'm not sure which "That" you are trying to do

Are you saying you have XM or Sirus on the Jeep and wish to get it to speaker inside the RV or that you wish to get the AM/FM on the jeep to speakers inside the RV

Or, change "inside the RV" to "Outside the RV"

And I can tell you what's needed

<<I am most concerned with listening to the satellite radio when outdoors.  You know the Margaritaville station softly playing while sipping on a cold adult beverage.  I have speakers.  I just wish there was a way to  get reception to the speakers from my jeep radio & antenna.>>

I reiterate: get the boombox. You can take it outside, it runs on 110v or D cell batteries, or off an inverter. It comes with its own antenna, its own speakers, and you dock the unit you already have into it. Problem solved. Margaritaville and sunshine.

Okay, I am very bad at transferring what is in my brain to actual text.  I will try again, guys be patient with me...  I am already a sirius subscriber through the radio in my Jeep.  The radio can NOT be removed from the Jeep.  I want the most inexpensive way to listen to sirrius while sitting outside the camper, hopefully figuring out a way to utilize the signal in the Jeep.  I do not want nor care about listening to sirrius inside the camper.  It is just the antennas I have seen on the website say inside/outside on them.  Even I can't use the signal from the Jeep, I would be willing to purchase one of the small mobile "looks like an mp3 player" & an antenna if needed.  I already have auxillary external speakers I would be using.  The speakers are the ones I use with my mp3 player inside the camper.  You just plug them in to the earphone jack and they are powered by batteries.  So what are my options?  And if I buy a handheld/mobile sirrius radio, will my current contract cover this radio also or will I have to pay for each?  thanks

Might be worth looking into the type of radio you have and whether you have premium sound or not. Most radios today have extra connectors on the back for additional speakers. If so, you could connect a wire and have it handy to run outside of the Jeep. An alternative would be to tap the rear speakers (usually the easiest to access). Just a thought. I know that my Dakota and my wifes Jeep have the extra wires. Mine is premium sound and has extra wires for the model of vehicle Chrysler sells that has speakers on the rear door (hatch-back).... I think it is the Liberty?? If you are concerned about leaving the key in the ignition, there is a simple modification (actually a few... one to use the aux on the remote and another , power stays on until you open the door )on the site 12v.com or it might be 12volt.com it has been awhile since I actually saw the link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom