Modular Aliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Runny_Yokes

What I really want is an off-road Aliner that is EMPTY. I would modify it to fit my changing needs. Make it modular to swap stuff out according to the season, where I'm going, and whether my wife wants to come along. Why be stuck with one configuration?

You might have to purchase a used Aliner and gut it. You could possibly put taller tires on it to give you more clearance.
Here are some off road campers but I would think none of them are modular like want. They are probably expensive too.

Last edited:
What do you feel is so much different about the layout or configuration of a camper for winter or summer or other camping modes?

The Youtuber Slim Potatohead used an Aliner up until about 4 years ago, when he switched to a fiberglass egg Outback brand. You might want to watch some of his early videos to see what he did to the Aliner, which was quite a lot .

You also might consider a small cargo trailer to build out, as that way you are not investing in something you and then gutting it out. The Youtubers Gonagain travel out west in a converted cargo trailer and have a series of videos on a cargo trailer build out. Much of their travels is dirt or gravel roads or two rut tracks.

Charles

I'm curious what you might swap out? Shower & toilet? Fridge? Stove?

The Aliner Ranger model comes as a relatively minimal configuration and you could may make or buy add-ons to have more amenities when family is along.

What I really want is an off-road Aliner that is EMPTY. I would modify it to fit my changing needs. Make it modular to swap stuff out according to the season, where I'm going, and whether my wife wants to come along. Why be stuck with one configuration?
I like your idea. Start with an RV that is wired and has lighting installed, plumbing and HVAC in place; then the modular idea for cabinets, beds and furniture. Going with the spouse? Floor plan A. Going alone? Floor plan B. With or without the dog could be A1 and A2 or B1 and B2. With a buddy, boondocking or with hookups can all be variants.

I’ve read many accounts here of folks building out a delivery van, an ambulance, a school bus, a cargo trailer.. and often speculated the difficulty in wiring from scratch the house (12 and 120 volt) and charging system, the plumbing (gray, black, and pressurized fresh), HVAC. Your idea of something with all those things in place makes a TON more sense to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom