Monaco Throttle system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbstewart

I purchased 1994 Monaco Executive with 300 Cummins about week ago, flew down to Dallas and drove it back to Ohio, unit drives and handles very good. Temperature is in mid 20's here know. My question is unit starts easy, but there is no response from foot throttle until engine idles/warms up for a while (mechanical fuel system) is this normal? and what connects foot throttle from front to engine in back (cables, air line) there seems to be some type of small hose connected to actuator on engine.

You have an air throttle, you need to build air for it to operate.(try this, start the engine cold, then depress the foot pedal and hold it down, as the air pressure builds the RPM will increase as long as you have the pedal down.>>>Dan

If you want to increase the engine speed to around 1000 rpms to warm up and build pressure faster, turn on your cruse control and press the set button and hold it down. This will bypass the air throttle and raise the idle rpms. When the tach reaches 1000 release the set button.

Thanks for your reply, I had wondered if there was some way to set up a fast idle short of cutting of a piece of my wife's broom handle to use.

Using the cruise to speed up the process is definitely easier.  Just remember to turn off the cruise control when the air is up.

If you have an air system you want your gauge to get to about 120-130 psi.  You'll know you're there because you'll hear a pzzz or spitter valve sound from the rear.  That means your air is up and you're ready to travel.

ArdraF

My fuel system is mechanical type, can't get the cruise control to increase rpm by selecting on and holding resume or set.

Depending on the system. it might be the throttle is a cable system back to the fuel valve at the engine. Should be on the top of the engine, passenger side. It could be the throttle valve is sticking until it warms up. If I'm right you should be able to manually activate the throttle on the engine. See if it is stiff. Might just need a little cleaning.

I had a system like this on my 94 HR Imperial (8.3 Cummins). I had the cruise freeze ON at 55mph on a four lane road with stoplights. Fortunately it had excellent brakes. I got it off the road and disconnected the cruise at the throttle on the engine and drove home. 

ken

I personally would not be a big fan of raising rpms to build air pressure faster to activate a throttle.  If you dont even have enough air for the throttle to work, I would have to doubt you have warmed up your oil enough to begin to lubricate correctly.  I would opt for getting a tad bit of heat in the motor and get the oil flowing to being in a hurry to save a few minutes by raising rpm.  JMHO

I would have to doubt you have warmed up your oil enough to begin to lubricate correctly.  I would opt for getting a tad bit of heat in the motor and get the oil flowing

If you have an engine block heater or some other preheating to warm it up, this isn't an issue.  We learned to do it at Monaco I think (maybe from the techs).  I know Jerry wouldn't do it if he thought there was any chance at all that it might harm the engine.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
If you have an engine block heater or some other preheating to warm it up, this isn't an issue.  We learned to do it at Monaco I think (maybe from the techs).  I know Jerry wouldn't do it if he thought there was any chance at all that it might harm the engine.

ArdraF

I agree, an engine heating system would keep the oil a little warmer so its not a jelly depending on outside temps and the type of oil.  I was just trying to offer a thought to some one new.  In real life, what are we talking about?  A couple of minutes before there is enough air pressure to activate the throttle?  In very cold temps, even with a heater, I might opt to let the motor idle at a low speed to get things as warm as reasonable before raising the rpms.  I never meant to imply that anyone would purposly want to raise rpms and damage the engine. 

dave

Dave Stringham said:
I personally would not be a big fan of raising rpms to build air pressure faster to activate a throttle.  If you dont even have enough air for the throttle to work, I would have to doubt you have warmed up your oil enough to begin to lubricate correctly.  I would opt for getting a tad bit of heat in the motor and get the oil flowing to being in a hurry to save a few minutes by raising rpm.  JMHO

I remember hearing a Cummins seminar presenter indicate that you could increase the RPMs from idle to 1k after the oil pressure indicator goes above 60psi

Back
Top Bottom