Montana to Idaho: I-90 or MT-200?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KM83

Recently purchased a Forest River Puma 32-foot trailer located in Montana. I was wondering if anyone has any experience driving on MT-200 from Montana to Idaho.

First time to tow a camper trailer. I'm mostly wondering if there's less of a grade on MT-200 compared to Lookout Pass on I-90. Less traffic is also a bonus. I don't mind the extra 40 minutes MT-200 will add to the trip.

If anyone has any info, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!

I've driven that stretch of 200 many times. Extremely beautiful at the right time of the year.

It's mostly 2-lane and is slow-going when you're towing. Not much room on the shoulders in a lot of parts, and if you drop a wheel over you're in for some damage. Drainage ditches and such along the road. Lots of up and down rolling, and passing through small towns where the speed limit drops to 25. People get impatient with slower traffic like they do everywhere, so that ups the risk of an incident.

I recall it does have less of a grade. That said, Lookout Pass really isn't untenable, but you do need to really downshift and be mindful of your brakes especially Westbound. IMO I-90 is the safer route for an RV/tow combination. I'll take 200 if I'm not towing, not in our motorhome.

I would not trust Google if it's saying 200 adds 40 minutes. You're towing and cannot/should not maintain posted speeds in certain sections. It's calculating like a passenger car flies, not an RV.

I agree with the above. We are in Coeur d Alene with a class A and have traveled that area extensively, route 200 and I 90.

I’d pick I 90, stay in the right lane and enjoy the trip. The mountain passes are fine, like the previous poster said, watch your downhill speed and you should be fine.

Thanks for the insight Skookum and Let's Roll, this is exactly the info I was looking for!

True about Google maps ETA. I've got the whole day set aside for the return trip.

We like to stop at Minnie's in Thompson Falls off of 200. Decent street parking off the highway. 921 W Main St. Usually we do breakfast because we're headed out of Sandpoint, ID early in the morning headed East. Breakfast is fantastic, big portions, probably where the Brawny Man eats, if he goes out to eat. We're usually full all day after eating there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom