More AZ hummingbird and landscape photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GregScott

I have many photos from my camping/photo adventures at http://gregscott.artistwebsites.com.
Visit for amazing hummingbird photos, and good landscape photos mostly around AZ and UT, and a few from New England and GA.

Attachments

• 20090422_2036_100_6478_lucifer_hummingbird.jpg
    20090422_2036_100_6478_lucifer_hummingbird.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20060407_crw_6657_gjs_thm.jpg
    20060407_crw_6657_gjs_thm.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 54
Great picture!  I love hummingbirds, but have only seen one here in east central Florida in the 37 years I've lived here.  :'(

If you hang a hummingbird feeder, and change the nectar every two days, you should see them. There are lots of hummers in Florida. Be sure you keep the feeders very clean. Any mold in them will hurt the birds, and they will definitely stop coming back, for quite a while. In warm weather, you'll see it on the 3rd day, even if you clean the mold out of the feeder pretty well. The nectar formula is 4 cups water, 1 cup sugar. It will spoil in the refrigerator, too, after about a week, so be careful of that too. You can mix it cold, if you let the sugar dissolve for a few minutes. It may take up to a year for them to find it, but usually they will find it much sooner than that.

GregScott said:
If you hang a hummingbird feeder, and change the nectar every two days, you should see them. There are lots of hummers in Florida. Be sure you keep the feeders very clean. Any mold in them will hurt the birds, and they will definitely stop coming back, for quite a while. In warm weather, you'll see it on the 3rd day, even if you clean the mold out of the feeder pretty well. The nectar formula is 4 cups water, 1 cup sugar. It will spoil in the refrigerator, too, after about a week, so be careful of that too. You can mix it cold, if you let the sugar dissolve for a few minutes. It may take up to a year for them to find it, but usually they will find it much sooner than that.
Can you use tap water or does it need to be distilled water?

Tap water is fine, except perhaps if it stinks from a bad well, maybe. Then anything you use for drinking water should do.
You don't need to boil it, either. Just shake the mixture well, and you can use it immediately, even if there is a little undissolved sugar on the bottom.
They enjoy it cold, so keeping it in your refrigerator is good, and that also slows down spoilage a couple of days. Don't keep it if any visible mold develops

Back
Top Bottom