More New Guy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bogview

More New Guy Questions.

Our new RV is a 98 Winnebago Adventurer with 18000 miles. Everything works. Everything is in incredibly perfect shape.

Couple RVs for Dummies questions if you don't mind.

If I run the coach batteries down or kill them, Will the engine battery be unaffected and be able to start the engine?

Will the engine generator charge the coach batteries if dead? Could I use the engine battery to start the generator? (I believe we have an auto transfer switch).

This MH has the original tires with only 18000 miles on them. There is no fatigue evident. Searching "Tire", "Age", "Safety" together have convinced me that most RV tires die of old age rather than tread wear. I've been looking at Cooper and Continental tires because a high mileage tire doesn't make sense here. Any ideas on this?

What is the bottom line on bubbling on the fiberglass siding. I've noticed many larger RVs get some. Is this a problem? Can it be fixed?

Has anyone tried using a projector for TV or the Weingard carryout?

Thanks Very Much
Curtis

Curtis:

To answer your questions on battery charging IF you have an emergency start switch (Button) you can run either set of your batteries down and use either the truck generator or RV generator started with the start button drawing power from your chassis batteries. The transfer switch will charge the RV deep cell  batteries off of the truck, generator, or shore power. The truck (chassis batteries will only charge of the chassis generator.

Delamination of the exterior walls of a RV is not generally repairable except by replacement although some try. It is caused either by manufacturing defects or more commonly by water leaks from the roof or windows.

I have heard of projectors being used in RVs but have only seen one in a demo Prevost conversion.

If I run the coach batteries down or kill them, Will the engine battery  be unaffected and be able to start the engine?
Yes. The house battery system is isolated from the chassis (engine) battery, so running down one does not affect the other.
Will the engine  generator charge the coach batteries if dead?
Yes it will, but it takes a fair amount of driving. Idling for 15 minutes won't do much.

Could I use the engine  battery to start the generator? (I believe we have an auto transfer  switch).
Typically the generator starts off the engine battery rather than the house. That's so you can still start the generator if the house batteries run down.

This MH has the original tires with only 18000 miles on  them. There is no fatigue evident. Searching "Tire", "Age", "Safety"  together have convinced me that most RV tires die of old age rather than  tread wear. I've been looking at Cooper and Continental tires because a  high mileage tire doesn't make sense here. Any ideas on this?
Yikes - at 12 years of age those tires will be lucky to go another mile!
Continental makes good tires. Cooper is probably ok too. Also Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokahoma. Some people are now using Hankook, a worldwide brand from Korea.

What  is the bottom line on bubbling on the fiberglass siding. I've noticed  many larger RVs get some. Is this a problem? Can it be fixed?
Small bubbles, sort of a sandpaper feel, or big raised areas? Big areas are called delamination, while small pits of roughness is a different problem. Repairs are expensive.

Has  anyone tried using a projector for TV or the Weingard carryout?

Projection tv? I've heard of a few form several years ago, but big LCDs have pretty much made projection not worth bothering with anymore.
The Winegard Carryout works ok, but you need to chain it down so it doesn't walk away on you. Plus you need both signal and power wires to it.

Our Winnebago has a tube tv forward center windshield with connections / sat in a cupboard to the right. One of those 1080p computer projectors would fit in there easily. Two cup hooks could be used to hang a screen across the aft main cabin when the pull out is extended. The projectors are getting reasonable, and it might be an easy way to get big screen movies.

Projector bulbs need to be replaced every 1000-2000 viewing hours.  They cost usually cost $200-400.  They also don't do too well with movement while hot, or with heat in general.  Might not be worth it unless you really want one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom