More poop talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyjigsaw

Well, not really, but just a simple question:  My toilet bowl won't hold water any more.  It doesn't "drain" quickly, but if we fill up the bowl to look like it would back home in our regular house, it will surely be dry by morning.  Thoughts?  There is obviously something that is not sealing, right?  I've got the "icks" thinking about how to fix this.  Someone walk me through it.  We're in Mexico so I'm thinking of a DIY solution.

Janina

My advise is to replace the entire toilet. You can replace just the valve, but if it is bad that means the rest of the toilet isn't long for the world. A new toilet doesn't cost that much more than just the valve. Adventure.net is good place to find replacement toilets. http://www.adventurerv.net/thetford-bravura-toilet-high-white-p-8753.html

Fill the bowl half full with water, then add  1 to 1.5 cups of what ever toilet chemical you use and let stand. Many times crud will stick to the seal at the ball and allow leakage, it needs to be removed chemically.>>>Dan

If the water is particularly hard, calcium deposits can build up on the seal.  Put some CLR in the bowl to dissolve them.  It may take several treatments.

jennyjigsaw said:
Well, not really, but just a simple question:  My toilet bowl won't hold water any more.  It doesn't "drain" quickly, but if we fill up the bowl to look like it would back home in our regular house, it will surely be dry by morning.  Thoughts?  There is obviously something that is not sealing, right?  I've got the "icks" thinking about how to fix this.  Someone walk me through it.  We're in Mexico so I'm thinking of a DIY solution.

Janina

Ours does that every once in awhile. I shut the water off and stand on the pedal to keep the valve open then run the toilet brush around the seal real good. That usually gets rid of whatever is causing the leak.

Ned said:
If the water is particularly hard, calcium deposits can build up on the seal.  Put some CLR in the bowl to dissolve them.  It may take several treatments.
Careful - depending on the materials used in manufacturing the stool, CLR might damage plastic and/or seals.  Best to use it as a last resort.  If there is a buildup of calcium, I'd recommend using white vinegar.  Pour in a cup or two and let it sit until it seeps out.  Flush by operating the flush lever several times.  It may take several rounds.

Crud around the seal, as Don and the others have said. We keep a little L-shaped hook to run around the edge of the seal on our Sealand commode and that always solves the problem if brushing it does not.

You can rebuild the seal or even replace the seal and flusher together if you like.

My bet is that a good cleaning will solve the problem.  You're right to be "feeling the icks" about fixing it but it's not really that bad.  Rubber gloves, a brush, some sort of a bent or hooked screwdriver type piece of metal to clean the rubber grooves and you'll be on your way.  Turn off your water and use a good flashlight to really clean the seals and the down tube.  THEN... apply either a coating of petroleum jelley or plumbers lube to the ball and seals.

Good luck.... the toilet needs to work flawlessly when in Mexico! ;)

Rick

Another vote for cleaning the seal.  I have had the same problem and have always found cleaning the seal and around the seal will solve the problem.

Jerry just changed our toilet seal.  We had been losing water for a while and it was really worse last month at Quartzsite and Death Valley.  Cleaning no longer helped.  Jerry ordered new parts which came last week, took the toilet apart, and installed the new ring.  The old one definitely had deteriorated.  Guess that's not surprising after eight years.  We had been noticing more odors over the last few trips, so the deterioration probably was just getting worse.  It wasn't all that difficult to change the seal, just icky as mentioned.  It gave us a good chance to take the toilet outside and really give it a good cleaning, not to mention scrubbing the floor in the toilet room.  ;D

By the way, we have one of the fancy electronic toilets and they cost $1,100 new so it's MUCH less expensive to change the seal.  You may have to wait until you get back to the U.S. to order the new parts - not sure they'd get to you in Mexico!  Meanwhile do the cleaning routine and add enough water to maybe keep it from leaking out.

ArdraF

The thing that I've found works well is a good cleaning, then a finger with some type of grease (I've used petroleum jelly, chassis grease, waterproof grease and all work about as well as another) reach in the hole and wipe it around the seal area (with the water turned off of course). Work the ball back and forth a number of times before you turn the water on. You'll notice an easier smoother action opening/flushing and the seal will hold water again. This lasts 3-4 weeks of fulltiming if the SO doesn't put the brush down the hole and clean the grease off. My hands have been in a lot worse places than my toilet. A disposable glove makes it easy.

I used a section of a heavy gauge coat hanger.  Bent it into a 'z' shape.  Filed the ends nice and round and very smooth, so they could not damage a rubber seal.  To make sure I always hold the clean end added an extra bend at that end.  Works fine, store under sink in zip lock.  Fairly 'clean' job but do wear rubber gloves most the time.  Happy cleaning!

Thank you so much, everyone!  I will give the cleaning and probably the vinegar soak a try.  The water is awful here.  I am thinking a new seal will be good after we get home.  The motorhome is 7 years old and a previous rental, so I'm sure it's due.

Now here's another somewhat related question, if anyone is still out there....When I flush, water does not run down all around under the edge of the toilet bowl, do you know what I mean?  The little holes on part of the right side must be clogged up with something, but how to unclog these?  I have scrubbed with toilet brush like crazy to no avail.  Am I looking at toothpicks or a tiny brush and more rubber gloves?

Janina

That's a common problem, mostly the pump does not produce enough volume to send water all the way around the rim and will go to the path of least resistance. All RV flush systems Ive seen tend to do this, mine like others has a spray wand that rinses nicely.>>>Dan

ArdraF said:
By the way, we have one of the fancy electronic toilets and they cost $1,100 new so it's MUCH less expensive to change the seal.

AN $1100 TOILET???????????

I bought a set of six tires for this motorhome and I replace the toilet with a new one and all totalled it didn't come to $1100.

The toilet must be trimmed in gold.

jennyjigsaw said:
Thank you so much, everyone!  I will give the cleaning and probably the vinegar soak a try.  The water is awful here.  I am thinking a new seal will be good after we get home.  The motorhome is 7 years old and a previous rental, so I'm sure it's due.

Now here's another somewhat related question, if anyone is still out there....When I flush, water does not run down all around under the edge of the toilet bowl, do you know what I mean?  The little holes on part of the right side must be clogged up with something, but how to unclog these?  I have scrubbed with toilet brush like crazy to no avail.  Am I looking at toothpicks or a tiny brush and more rubber gloves?

Janina
I am still voting for a new toilet. That will solve your flushing problem. And the new ones are more water efficient.

Wish I could get tires and a toilet for that price, Seilerbird. I need four new tires for the back and the cheapest I can find is $2250 for the set. But I can get a new toilet for about $235, so maybe I should replace that instead?  :-\

You can get 6 new tires for $900 if you would be driving a 1985 Allegro instead of a 2004 American Tradition.

The tires I got are Pathfinder All Terrain 235/85/16. $126 per tire. They have gone up to $129 since I got them in 2009. 6 new ones will cost $958 total now.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/cart/updateCart.do?r=NVLINT|pc|89107&quantity=6&shadowQuantity=4&cartItemId=-1487857685&x=18&y=6

The toilet I got was $129 plus shipping.

Back
Top Bottom