Moth Balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OKBecky

We just purchased a 5th wheel (Montana) a neighbor used at job sites.  It has set for the last few years at his home before selling it to us.  He said he had problems with mice in the past and started putting moth balls throughout the camper because it was suppose to deter them.  Now that we have it, I'm cleaning thoroughly and wonder if I should leave the moth balls in it.  I don't particularly like that smell.  We will not be retiring for another couple of years, so it will sit more than it will be used for a while.  Any opinions out there?

Guess I got in a hurry asking my question.  I entered mothball and moth ball in the search feature and there is a ton of discussions which I will check into. 

I've tried mothballs, cotton moistened with peppermint oil, Bounce sheets and nothing worked. In fact the mice used the bounce sheets as their bathroom on our bedspread. The only thing that has worked are good old fashion mouse traps. If you're a little squeamish about touching a dead mouse in a trap, build yourself a bucket trap. Put about 3" of antifreeze in the bucket if you live in a cold climate. Keep it away from pets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47P1TgZ7ZE

Rene T said:
The only thing that has worked are good old fashion mouse traps.
I have three cats living with me in my RV and I have never once seen a mouse. ;D

Attachments

• Cleo Jane and Tarzan on the stove.jpg
    Cleo Jane and Tarzan on the stove.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 17
The moth balls need to go outside, underneath the rig. Take them out of the box, but not out of the inside packaging. Use at least 4 of them.

My Aunt and Uncle used to have a Motorhome while hosting National Forest Campgrounds.  They found that the mice would climb up the tires to get into the vehicle.  They used the moth balls on the inside with questionable results.  What my Aunt told me later was they put small chunks of Ex-Lax chocolate on the tops of the tire tread.  Started finding dead mice on a regular basis.  Not exactly the way I would want to go..... :eek:, but I guess it worked.

SeilerBird said:
I have three cats living with me in my RV and I have never once seen a mouse. ;D

We have two cats.  On our last trip we saw two dead mice lying on the kitchen floor.  I think they work better than mothballs. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom