Motorhome Carpet Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

washtubman

I live in central Indiana and was wondering if anyone knows of a reasonably close place that installs carpet in motorhomes.  I'd like a place that either specializes in that or at least has considerable experience in doing it. Thanks. :)

Many RV shops and even Carpet stores have people installing that have done them.  Just ask

I just received some samples from Bradd and Hall out of Elkhart, IN.  Have been thinking of having them do mine this fall. 

We are not reasonably close to you but we are sitting in the parking lot of Countryside Interior in Junction City Oregon,  awaiting our new carpet appointment in the morning.  I wanted someone who specializes in Motorhomes as the slide is carpeted and will be tricky.  There are some mighty tight spots to get into and around and I wanted someone who knew how it went to gether in the first place so they could put it back the way I want it.  They told me it would take almost a week and that I could not stay inside it.  I am not thrilled about the prospect of sleeping in a motel, but I wasn't willing to cancel the job having just driven 570 miles to get here. 
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Betty

Brad and Hall in Elkhart sells and installs carpet plus all kinds of furniture for RV's. Since Elkhart is the location for Fleetwood motorhomes and a couple of other RV manufacturers there are all kinds of support and supplier companies in the area. Shipshewanna (Amish community) is just down the road too.
The area is well worth the trip just to browse around the related stores. The restaurant across the road from Camping World in Elkhart serves the biggest and best breakfast you've ever had.

Thanks for the replies.  I will check with the Elkhart people.  By the way, Betty, why would it take a week to install your carpet?  Custom job?

We recently installed new carpeting in our MH.  It took me a day to remove the existing carpet and a couple of days for the installer to do the job.  It did actually take longer because we were interrupted and also did some extra things but the actual time was about 3 1/2 days of work on the carpet.

washtubman said:
  By the way, Betty, why would it take a week to install your carpet?  Custom job?

I'm not sure how long it will take.  They did let us sleep in the rig overnight and for the first day, they have removed all of the carpet and installed most of carpet on bedroom floor.  I  think there is lots of fine tuning and finish work, under the slide, behind the driver's foot pedals.  I also think they give a longer time  estimate to allow for any contingencies and not have impatient clients.  I'm very happy with the color of the bedroom floor so far.  I'll let you know how long it finally takes.

Betty

Our Carpeting is finished.  (well almost)  The carpet  took 3 days to remove and install the new.  The only glitch was that when we brought in  the slide, it drug along the new carpet.  Seems the height of old and new carept was different. They will be fixing that issue for us this morning.  As we were out of the coach during installation they had no opportunity to work slide during install.  One might note this if doing carpet in the future.

A breakdown on costs reflected LABOR to be the biggest cost.  It was $75 per  hour.  We had a Berber type carpet installed which they say is very difficult to work with.  We also have carpet up the side of walls 18 inches high in bedroom and up around the bed pedestal so it was much labor. We paid for the carpet to be shipped and for the pad and shop supplies. The actual amount of carpet material was 12 x 16  and it cost $599.  Just to give you some cost ideas.  I was glad we used an outfit that knew RV interiors.

The color is wonderful and the style really updates the look of the rig.  It was MUCH less expensive than a new motorhome.  Ok ,  next I will replace the beveled glass mirror backsplash in galley with an updated tile.  But that project is for another year.

I continue to recommend Countryside Interiors in Junction City, Oregon.  (541) 998-6541. They exceeded the schedule they  promised and did let us sleep in the rig nights during the construction.  The actual cost was less than estimated which always makes us feel good!
Betty

I'm looking for carpet replacement for our 36' motorhome down in central Florida.  I saw an ad in one of my magazines for Lakeland (or Lake City) FL, but now I can't find it.

As Jim Godward stated, it takes quite a while to PROPERLY remove and to install new flooring. If you full time, it may take longer. Installing on  a slide out is no big deal, right Jim?  Ernie Ekberg -in the flooring bidness since 1972

Ernie Ekberg said:
As Jim Godward stated, it takes quite a while to PROPERLY remove and to install new flooring. If you full time, it may take longer.

Ernie,

We did anticipate having to  remove all things from storage cabinets that would be moved.  I spent the better part of 1/2 day off loading  stuff from rig so I did not have to move it when carpet was being installed.  It's amazing how many little piles of clutter were all over the floor.  It looks so nice without that clutter that I am going so see how I can junk most of it and not haul it back in.  After all how many canned goods do I really need under the couch? 
Betty

Uli621 said:
I'm looking for carpet replacement for our 36' motorhome down in central Florida.  I saw an ad in one of my magazines for Lakeland (or Lake City) FL, but now I can't find it.

Please report back if you find a good place.  I'd be interested...

The biggest problems in doing the slide were removing and installing the couch, I did that.  The carpet was a piece of cake, I just stood and watched!!  Actually, the slide was very easy even for Ernie!!  Then there was the firewall, the step insulation and the pedal area!!

BTW, for comparison purposes the carpet Betty had installed was 192 sq ft for $599 and ours was 276 sq ft for $1099 so there can be a big spread in material cost.  I think the labor hours came out about the same but I can't break out the labor cost for carpet install as the flooring was done at the same time and was included in the total.

We had no problem with the slideout. Our pad and carpet is over 1/4" thicker than the stock material.  We did not have to tip out the slide as some have told us we would need to do.  Thank you Newmar!!

We installed insulation under the carpet on the firewall and that has made a big difference in road noise and we found the driver's feet stayed cooler when driving to Gillette in July.

Ernie, BTW, the insulation under the steps came loose and I'll be reinstalling it next week. 

Betty, I like your idea of carpeting part of the walls in the bedroom.  I may attack that as we do have some pieces left as more was sent than charged for.  G  Got to think about it though.  We did that in the driver's area.

Jim, the insulation that came loose should be under warranty from the installer. Since I'm leaving Monday for a real job In Texas, please feel free to drive the 1500 miles for that free waranty work!! VBG- I got a job in my hometown and will be seeing my wife for the first time in months. After 35 and a half years instaling, I'm going to be in management. A big change. Ernie- getting ready to buy a grand worth of fuel- YIKES!!

Ernie,

Have a good trip home even if it is EXPENSIVE!!

Be careful, we would come south via TX IF I could get Pat to leave in November.  Fat Chance, Dr appointments in December.  :-((

washtubman said:
I live in central Indiana and was wondering if anyone knows of a reasonably close place that installs carpet in motorhomes.  I'd like a place that either specializes in that or at least has considerable experience in doing it. Thanks. :)

Sullivan's RV in Decatur has done a number of installs and been reported good.    http://www.sullivanrv.com/

Back
Top Bottom