Motorhome Ran into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdietz18d

Last Thursday I received a phone call from the police department.  My 2000 Brave SE 29a was run into from behind while it was sitting in front of my house!  Not exactly sure how this could have happened, the road is plenty wide and it isn't hard to see.  The other insurance company has taken full responsibility, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?  Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated!  Pictures attached!

Attachments

• 1926877_10204260040597767_46599771561555243_n.jpg
    1926877_10204260040597767_46599771561555243_n.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 63717_10204260039957751_9170803170271048873_n.jpg
    63717_10204260039957751_9170803170271048873_n.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 227
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 221
I haven't driven it yet.  I just want it fixed correct.  I don't want anything just "patched".  Adjuster suppose to be out this week.  The rear is one piece fiberglass, and there is a crack in it.  I just couldn't believe it when I got the call.

Wonder if the cops checked the drivers cellphones logs?

Not to worry.  Fiberglass is one of the easiest materials to repair.  Done properly it will be stronger than before. 

Someone drove a sailboat mast through the front cap of our first motorhome.  We were amazed at how well the repairs were done.  Looked brand new.

8Muddypaws said:
Wonder if the cops checked the drivers cellphones logs?

yeah, never mind about any of the other multitude of potential distractions we face every day......

I was rear ended once, and the guy freely admitted that he was reaching to the floor board for his dropped hair brush.  Nope not electronic.
& I rear ended someone once when I was reaching for something in my center console..... and no, it wasn't electronic either

I live directly across the street from our local Municipal Building.  The guy that hit my motorhome was a constable that was transporting a prisoner for a district court hearing.  Thank goodness no one was hurt.  In the end, I just want the thing fixed correctly and not to have issues in the future.  Thankfully for my sake it happened at the end of the summer and not the beginning.  My kids would have a melt down if we didn't have it over the summer!

Let me tell you the story of two Denalli class Pickups (Full size monster pickups)  both totaled in the crash.

One was legally parked.

The other had a sign in the window
"What America Needs is Wider Roads and More BEER!"

Suffice to say the driver of that one had had more than enough beer (Arrested for drunk driving he was).

He came to the tow lot to retrieve his sign.

Perhaps the at-fault driver (the only driver in this case) was like him. Skunked, Plastered, Wasted, 3-sheets to the wind (the list of synonyms goes on quiet a while but it all adds up to DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

In this case. Be glad no innocents were injured/killed and if he was drunk or texting be sure to get the very best repair you can.. After all, There is one thing you need to check out.

IN some of the No-Fault states where you are expected to pay your deductible no matter.  (I call them your-fault states cause the law says "it is your fault, if you did not own the vehicle it would not have been involved")

Well, turns out it does not apply if the vehicle is LEGALLY PARKED.  If it's LEGALLY PARKED, then it is treated as a vehicle/house accident and the at-fault (There can only be one) pays for ALL OF IT.

The difference is that in all states it is illegal call or text while driving.  Cops are excluded from this.

Hands free calling and texting is OK.

Reaching for hair brushes hasn't been outlawed.  Yet.

;)

Back two years ago going to FL, I was pulling a 2008 Montana Copper Canyo  5vrn and was rear ended on the passenger side of the trailer while waiting at the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll house. We were stopped. The damage was a little bit more than yours. At the time, I thought it would probably cost around $3000.00. To make a long story short, the adjuster totaled the trailer. He said that the impact moved the entire right side of the rig about 1" forward and the slide wasn't working the way it should. While inspecting, he got up to $24,000.00 and stopped. He said it was totaled. I'm glad he did that because I was afraid of what it would have looked like after repairs and if there would have been any long turn effect.

Be sure you look at everything including tanks, electrical, mechanical slides. Take it for a ride. Fill ALL your tanks and check for leaks. Pressurize your water system and check for leaks.  Don't be surprised if they total it. You start adding up a possible new rear cap, ladder, decals, compartment door and compartment. You may be shocked. Keep us informed please. Thanks.

8Muddypaws said:
Reaching for hair brushes hasn't been outlawed.  Yet.

That would come under the "distracted driving" laws.

Having has $50K in repairs done to the front of our motorhome, I can assure you it is quite possible to make it like new again. Try to find a shop that actually does RV repairs on a regular basis - some experience helps. If you let folks know where you are, perhaps they can recommend a good RV repair shop.

Besides both obvious and hidden damage, many states allow for compensation for loss-of-use... $$ while your motorhome is in the shop or otherwise not available to you as a result of the accident.  Alternatively, the insurance company can give you a like-kind rental.  Google motorhome rentals to get an idea of the $$ involved.  Also keep in mind even tho the damage is repaired, paid by the other fellow's insurance, you then own a vehicle with diminished value.  It may also result in an accident report appearing on the vehicle's CARFAX.  Georgia apparently is the model for this diminished value law, and has been adopted by some other states.  I believe payment for diminished value starts at 10% of the prior value of the vehicle.  Don't be afraid to argue both these points when settling your claim.  It's all a negotiation.  It may take a nasty letter from your lawyer to get the insurance company's attention.  My 2?, I've been down this road before.

Another issue is why the at fault ran into your mobile house (motor home) if it was Texting or Drinking or Drugs or other activity which shows a reckless disregard for life, limb and property of others.... Well, the going rate for that kind of thing is staggering. Enough to keep your attorney happy for a while. His share would be more than my annual wage,

8Muddypaws said:
The difference is that in all states it is illegal call or text while driving.  Cops are excluded from this.

Hands free calling and texting is OK.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/cellular-phone-use-and-texting-while-driving-laws.aspx

When I park on a city street, busy parking lot or anywhere where the locals don't expect to see a MH parked, I put out traffic cones to help get their attention.

Attachments

• 2300riviera6.jpg
    2300riviera6.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom