Motorhome rear Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George TUcker

I have a 1977 GMC Van Dura Jamboree 22ft Motorhome, it is in very nice condition, with 39,000 miles, i have had it about 11 yrs, and have had no trouble with it, about a yr ago, i noticed the rear of the Motorhome seems to sag some, more than before, i suspect the springs are getting weak, iam thinking of using helper springs, on top of the axle, like a  4 leaf 3500lb set, theres not a lot of room above the axle, do you guys think this would work?. i appreceiate any help with this, George.

If I were doing it I would look at replacing the existing springs.  A lot of times it is not much more than helpers and you don't have to worry about the room.  If you have the ability to put in helpers you should be able to put in new springs.  The helpers will just be a bandaid. If you have a good spring shop they can help with your decision.

I had the springs in my 75 Winne "reached". They worked like new afterwords. I don't even know if they still do that but I would assume so. Let us know what you come up with.

Jim
AKA: Bingo
8)

Either re-arched or new spring pack would be best.  I have used helper springs on a service truck, to handle the weight of tools and fuel, with good results.  I have also used Timbren rubber springs to boost weak springs on the front of a F-750 again with good results. 

Since you have a good spring shop, take it to them. They can re-arch or replace the springs and it usually is not expensive. Air bags or helper springs is an option, but getting the springs re-done is the best solution by far.

Back
Top Bottom