Motorhome Strange Suspension Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many diesel owners are not even aware the compressor air dryer needs to have its dryer cartridge replaced, typically every 2-3 years. If you never did that, and the prior owner never did it, it is very likley non-functional (not drying) and may be clogging the air path as well.  The air governor can also get messed up and block flow or not maintain pressure properly.

That's another "gotcha" for new diesel owners,, over time moisture will build in the tanks and displace the volume for air.. When you notice the air pressure gauge going down faster than normal while braking, it means your air volume is less due to the tanks being effectively "smaller" in volume..  It makes a huge difference after draining all the tanks.. Automatic "spitters" are a great work saver..>>>Dan

Another area to inspect for leakage is the automatic highth control valves.. These are made of plastic and get brittle with age and start leaking,, a tip-off is the increasing longer periods of engine running to air up the rig and shorter periods of time it will stay up..>>>Dan

Still more to learn...
All they told me in the walkthrough was front and rear have to 65 or higher before driving. Both front and rear get up to 125 but then, while driving, both will fluctuate between around 85 and 125. Seems the compressor is indeed cycling, but does that wide a range indicate any issues?

85 seems low to me, but I'm not familiar with the set-up on your chassis, which I assume is a Roadmaster RR10R. The compressor cut-in and cut-out psi are set by the chassis builder.  My Freightliner XCM chassis cut in at 90-95 psi (I don't recall exactly).  Maybe others could comment on theirs.

In any case, 85 is well above the 65 psi needed for air brake operation and prevent the park brake from engaging.  The suspension, though, would probably act poorly if it stayed at 85 very long.  It really likes to be up in the 100-125 range, though it is designed to be self-adjusting across a range of air pressures.

Hopefully another Monaco or HR owner can chime in here and report what their compressor psi range is.  It's a fundamental air suspension design parameter and will surely be the same for all Roadmaster air systems, regardless of chassis model.

The 2007 Beaver I had is on a Roadmaster chassis and lists the following in its manual:

"The air governor, located in the engine
compartment, regulates the air compressor to
cut-in and cut-out, keeping the air system in the
specified operating range of 115 to 145 psi and
sending an air ?purge? signal to the Air Dryer."

Utclmjmpr said:
This method would apply if your house sits on a Spartan chassis.>>>D

Okay. Made appointment for 8/6 to have airbags looked at. Will update when I find out.

Well I got suspension taken care of last month. It turned out to be worn front bushings (which I knew was part of the problem). The air dryer cartridge was replaced. The air valve linkage was leaking and was big reason that front airbags pressure would drop substantially. Anyways much better driving experience as it doesn?t feel like coach is leaning on turns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashnjack
Back
Top Bottom