Motorized RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medicommrob

We had a travel trailer for several years and are thinking of getting back into RV'ing but this time with a motor home. With Covid and coming retirement we want to be able to travel more safely and with more freedom than air travel or car travel. I want to do some research and am looking for resources. Here are some of the questions where I'm looking for answers. If you can share your experiences or where I might be able to find useful resources that would be greatly appreciated.

What are typical annual maintenance costs to be expected for a diesel Class C?
How do maintenance costs differ between diesel and gas powered RVs?
We're leaning towards a class C because we don't want a "huge" vehicle like a diesel pusher. Any thoughts on why we may want to consider the larger options?
We will be traveling with a tow vehicle on most occasions. Any insights on the best way to tow, equipment recommendations, etc.
We're looking for a pre-owned model but haven't entirely ruled out a new one. Any suggestions on the best models or buyer's guide resources?

Thanks for any help! Have a great day!
Rob

We're leaning towards a class C because we don't want a "huge" vehicle like a diesel pusher.

Then you're likely to be disappointed. Diesel class C rigs (except for the Sprinter based units, Winnebago View, etc.) are mostly in the Super C category, which means they're nearly as large as a class A pusher, some larger.

But if you're looking at the Sprinter based units with the small Mercedes Benz diesel engine, you'll probably find costs a bit higher than the typical gasoline powered class C (Mercedes isn't cheap).

How do maintenance costs differ between diesel and gas powered RVs?

As darsben indicates, though, more information is needed to help you find the right type of rig. Age and health would be helpful, as he says, but intended use, frequency of use, length of projected trips (long, longer, short, all of the above), how much if any mountain travel, etc.

One major consideration, too, is that most class C units (except the Super Cs) are on the edge of being overloaded with just people and water, not counting bedding, kitchen gear, camp chairs, toiletries, cameras, games, tools and other gear you may take along. Another consideration, especially if you're taking longer trips of months or more, is having enough space to keep off each other's nerves in inclement weather (picture being stuck inside for three days to a week on occasion).

Finally, few class C units can tow more than 5,000 lbs (some only 3,500), including dolly, trailer, etc. including the toad itself).

I'm sure others will have more comments.
In general the diesel maintenance costs are greater, even if both units compared are class A about 36', for example.

Welcome to the RVForum Rob. As you start researching motorhomes, you're going to see that there are some Class Cs with diesel engines that are larger than some Class A diesel pushers, and only a few very small Class Cs with diesel engines. The Class C market is pretty much dominated by gas engined RVs. Since you plan on towing, pay close attention to towing capacity when looking at Class Cs. Some are very limited.

It's difficult to give you hard and fast maintenance numbers, because it depends on so many factors. Barring major problems, new diesel-powered motorhomes will cost more to purchase and maintain than new gas-powered motorhomes. Our last 32 foot gas (Ford V-10) motorhome cost us about $300 - $500 a year for scheduled maintenance. (In 2010 dollars) Our current diesel pusher runs about three times that. You can save a quite a bit if you do the maintenance yourself.

We've only flat-towed, so I have no experience with dollies, or trailers. I prefer flat-towing, because I don't have to find a place to store the dollie or trailer at small campsites, but the list of vehicles that can be flat-towed is shorter than the list that can be dollied, or trailored. If you're going to flat-tow, I strongly recommend that you invest in a supplemental brake for the towed vehicle.

We've intentionally purchased only used RVs - motorhomes that were one year old. Quality control in the RV manufacturing industry leaves a lot to be desired, and it often takes a year or more to get the new-RV bugs worked out. I choose to let someone else deal with those problems. You take quite a hit on the 1st year's depreciation too, which you also feel in sales tax. We've never been sorry that our three motorhomes were each one year old when we bought them.

Kev

We've stayed with class A's on the smaller size (22 and 32 foot , gas and 34 foot diesel). I looked at class C and fifth wheels, but was put off by the lack of storage and carrying capacity in the C's and just thought the fivers were for stationary use.
Our current diesel class A is ideal for us (couple with two small dogs). Diesel maintenance is relatively high, but you get what you're paying for.  We tow four down and, if you can afford it, I'd advocate you do the same. 
IT really comes down to family with kids, do you move a lot, and what you can afford. The first is probably going with a C; otherwise ultimately you'll move up to an A unless you rarely move.

Ernie

Are you looking for a home or a portable hotel room? For short trips of a few days or weeks a Class C will be fine. If you are going to spend several months a year traveling you'll want a large Class A with all its amenities. Remember they do make taller Class C's with 3 full size pass-through basement compartments with adequate cargo weights for the occasional long trip. A 24 foot is my ideal but my wife likes more space since she is inside way more than I am.

Rent a Class C of the size you think you want for 3 nights or more.  Yes, it will cost you $100-$150/night to rent but it will give a really good feel for what living in one is like.

Keep in mind that the Class C on the Ford F350-F450 chassis all have the same GVWR and the larger length one you buy the less CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) you will have.

Many Class A gas models are limited on CCC as well. 

We found after owning both a 5th wheel and a few MH's that if we were to mostly stay in one place for 4 weeks to months at a time the 5th wheel is more like a small apartment than the MH.  We seldom spend more than a week or two before moving and many times we only stay 2-3 days before moving and the MH suites us better.

Ford & Chevy gas chassis' in C Class can pull 5000 pounds. Our 2017 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback is 2800 pounds with tow plate, tow bar, brake system and lights. It's small but an automatic (dual clutch). Two other small cars to consider but have manual transmissions are the Chevy Spark and Mercedes Smart Car which are about 2200 and 2600 pounds with needed accessories.

Our trailer with Jon boat is under 1000 pounds, motorcycle and trailer is under 1000 pounds, two e-bikes and carrier is under 150 pounds.

Personally, I love a small C Class. It's basically a pick-up truck with a box on the back. Our 24' Winnebago 22R will fit just about anywhere especially if you hang the back end over the curb / grass and it handles and drives like ... well... a pick up truck. Great to be able to bring it to the beach and lot's of other places which extends our range in daily trips because we don't leave our dog vs in our toad. Nice to have everything with us from scuba tanks, food and bath room.

Back
Top Bottom