Moving motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done it -- on flat, level ground. Just make sure you won't run over hoses, powercords, etc.

On two occasions I have had a motorhome go by me ,(in the opposite direction ) with a 3 foot slide EXTENDED IN MY LANE!!!
>>>Dan  ( Both times were in Quartzsite, Az..)

How much trouble could it be to let them in. On mine its just a press of as switch

You probably can, but I would not.
Almost every owner's manual I have looked at has in big type, somewhere in the section on Slide-outs, Something to the effect of:
WARNING!!! DON'T move the vehicle while slides are extended!

I can just see the look on the Mechanic's face when he asks me what happened, and I say, "We just moved it ten feet."

But, what the heck. Go for it. Let us know how it goes. 

But those owners manuals never give a reason why.  Good advise, but I have done it, after accessing the surroundings and being as gentle as possible.  I guess I just never liked those kinds of broad statements given with no reasoning.  I think it is a fallout from my years in the military - "do as you are told, no questions".  ::)

phil-t said:
But those owners manuals never give a reason why.  Good advise, but I have done it, after accessing the surroundings and being as gentle as possible.  I guess I just never liked those kinds of broad statements given with no reasoning.  I think it is a fallout from my years in the military - "do as you are told, no questions".  ::)

Well, I suspect that the REAL question should be, "After I have moved this thing while the Slide-outs were extended, am I going to be able to easily retract them, again, when I am ready to hit the road?" 
And I suspect that the answer will be, "Maybe"

And the reason the makers say not to do that is because they have not designed the slide-outs to withstand the stresses involved in doing so, and don't want to be held responsible when you discover that design flaw.

On most RVs with leveling systems, the slide-outs cannot be extended until after the leveling system is deployed. I suspect that there is a logical reason for that.

My 2010 Winnebago Vista does not require the jacks system to be deployed, it does require the parking brake be set to operate the slide control panel.
I would suggest the OP get his owners manual and follow those directions.

phil-t said:
My 2010 Winnebago Vista does not require the jacks system to be deployed, it does require the parking brake be set to operate the slide control panel.
I would suggest the OP get his owners manual and follow those directions.

It does recommend leveling be done prior to extending the slide-out. Doesn't mention Jacks, specifically, because leveling Jacks were an option on many models.

And it does state : NOTE: Never drive the vehicle with a slideout room extended!

But yes, it's always a good idea to read the manual.

As we say in the High tech industry,  (read the fine manual)
;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom