MPG VS MPH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarsMac said:
Yeah, I heard that them Bolts get great gas mileage. I rented one for my last trip to KC for work. I made it all the way to KC without having to stop for gas.
Did still have to stop for Coffee refills a couple of times, though.

From Lawrencevlle, maybe?  ::) ;D ;D

Everyone has their opinion on this subject, depending upon their equipment and their experience. I do too.

Over the past 55+years, pulling five different RVs, plus a few Ranch Trucks, using 8 different 250 to 3500 size trucks, both gas and diesel, I have noticed a few MPG variations under various conditions that seem to be constant.

Both of my two diesel trucks that I now use, 3500 RAM HD duallies, have gauges that constantly tell me the MPG as I drive. The gauges tell me in real-time what I have noticed in general in the past with trucks without the real-time gauges.

Variations that my gauges tell me in real-time, showing actual real-time MPG include what I believed in the past with my other trucks.

Variations, evident even on any specific trip of any reasonable or longer trip, pulling any trailer, include:

1. Wind resistance, directions and velocity with speed of truck in wind.

2. Weight of trailer with load under wind and weather conditions.

3. Road surface condition, road surface type, gain or decline of road direction traveled.

4. Traffic conditions, traffic volume and required frequency of speed variations in traffic.

5. Fuel type and condition, variations in Diesel No 2 blend, even within same brand on different days at the same fuel locations, especially with varying BioDiesel blends.

6. Weather conditions with respect to wide spread of temperatures, cold or hot, and even variations of humidity.

My wife and I travel nearly 100,000 miles per year on business and pleasure, usually pulling our RV 5th Wheel trailer or our Receiver Hitch RV trailer, Ranch Horse, Stock, or Flatbed trailers. The above conditions are noted on every trip. MPG varies on almost every trip, as little as 1 or 2 MPG to up to 6 or 7 MPG, even more for short distances at different locations on the same trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom