MPG vs. Tranny wear & tear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turfhead

So here's my question. Pulled my TT from central Illinois the central Florida and had plenty of time to listen to and feel my Durango working its way over the hills. I got to thinking that if I maintain between 60 and 65 mph, I likely save on gas mileage, but the tranny does a considerable amount of shifting, even in the tow/haul mode. If I maintain 65 to 70 mph, the tranny never finds OD and stays in the same gear for longer periods, obviously burning more fuel. Am I better off at the higher speed to ease wear and tear on the tranny, or save gas at a lower speed.  Have an 1100 mile drive home this weekend so I'll have plenty of time to ponder your responses!

At 65-70 the Tranny never goes into OD. :eek:
I say use OD at 65-70 on flatter areas.  As you see hills or identify the tranny is hunting for gears, keep it out of OD and hold speed.
Gear hunting if excessive, will toast the tranny. :(
Don't know the weights or specifics, but a 28' TT behind a Durango is alot. :-\

I'd leave it in tow mode and stay under the speed limit.  Do you have a manual selector for the OD?  I only know two vehicles frankly, the Ford Explorer Eddie Baur we had with our TT's and the current F350 pulling our fifth wheel.

@Derby6: My TT is an Ultra lite and max's out under my towing capacity by almost 1000 lbs. Although the Durango handles the TT well going to 90% of the campgrounds, I will be looking to upgrade to a Suburban or equivalent before the next cross-country trip!

I  vote for running a little slower.  Maybe you can learn to anticipate when the tranny will shift and get out of the gas to hold the gear.  I do this and never get out of overdrive, of course you may slow down on some bigger hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom