Mt Washington NH- Anyone been there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeyInNY

We are traveling to Mt Washington in June (Twin Mountains KOA).  Mt Washington "has the worst weather" and has/did have the record for the highest recorded wind gust.  I looked at the cog railway, at $62 a person seems steep.  I am willing to drive up, but I understand I have to pay to do that too, $25 a person.  I would prefer to drive up as I can take the doggie with us.  After reading the info on the mountain, I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience in visiting there.  My TV fits the list of vehicles that can go up the mountain.  Also, we can bring coats and decide at the top if we want them or not.  We don't have to carry everything with us if we have the truck with us.

Any suggestions/comments?

Have not been there in ten years so may be out of date. Other than the drive up there was not much to see. Probably a few more musem type things now.

If you don't hve anything better to do it is an OK way to spend the day.

We were there  9/22/2008.  It was  60 degrees but  a very cool wind blowing.  Everyone had on jackets.  We took the rail car  up.  If you are into railroads this was fascinating  and only one of a very few cog railways still in operation.  We loved every moment.  In my opinion, you would miss much by driving and not actually taking the train.  There is much history, interesting facts and quite an experience.  E coupon in my book. 

We've RV'd all around the mountain, but never gone up.  My son and DIL hiked it a couple of years ago, they enjoyed the sights, but said they wouldn't do it a second time.  I have been told be the road is the least enjoyable way to go up.

Ed

Like many attractions, IMHO, the Mount Washington Auto Road is one of those things everyone should experience once.  The views are amazing as are the changes in conditions from the bottom to the summit.  There are some interesting displays in the visitor center at the summit.  I believe all of your questions should be answered in this link.  http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/drive-yourself/

Took our motorcycles up and loved it. Much colder up there. I would second the train if no bike.

We did both the drive and the cog railroad.  Saw different things on each trip.  Would do both again.

Jeannine

I have hiked up three times, great fun.  Took the COG up last July 22 with two of the Grandkids ages 12 & 10.  Weather changed constanly as we got closer to the top.  This is the second time we took the COG. Last time was still the coal fired engines, now they are all diesel except one coal fired which only goes up once a day.  The views are great.  The wind that day were 80 plus gusts.  Had to hold the Grandaughter down.  Yes it is an expensive day but worth doing.  So much to see and do in this area of the White Mts.  Go thru the Notch.  Sorry the Old Man of The Mt. is gone now.

Drove the car up the mountain in 2006. That day it was if we were in an airplane flying above the clouds. Beautiful!  Road is one way in spots and you will have to pull over and let other car by.  Must keep the car in low gear most of the way up and most of the way down. We loved the experience. Just to be different, we would also take the train if we were to return.

We have done it both ways. If you are staying in  the North Conway area the easiest access is the car road. I think we enjoyed the flexibility of driving. It was cold on top on the 4th of July three years ago!

Back
Top Bottom