Museums with Railroading In Mind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Number 200 on the alphabetized list is a must visit if you are ever in  the area. They have working Shay type engines (unique design with all  wheels driven) that climb steep grades with a switchback. It's an old  logging rail center that still uses the original tracks up the mountain.

Roaring Camp Railroads near Santa Cruz, CA is another Shay operating on a former logging railway.  http://www.roaringcamp.com/

They run up to the top of Bear Mountain on grades up to 6% with switchbacks, etc.  Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park and Big Trees County parks are nearby.

Tom said:
Hi Tom,

I was planning on adding it to our library, IMHO a better option than sticky messages, but serves the same purpose of keeping it readily available.

Tom, I have the list as an Excel spread sheet. If you want add it to the library in this form, it can be easily maintained and added to. Let me know, and I'll send it to you.

Chet,

Either an attachment (if the file isn't too big) or email (click the 'envelope' icon beneath my avatar tp see my email address).

FWIW another forum member sent me an email saying he was in the process of converting the list to a spreadsheet.

Chet, Can you email me the Excel file ? I was going to enter the list into a spreadsheet but I'd much rather take advantage of someone else's hard work :)

Wendy
San Clemente State Beach

It's in our forum library Wendy - under Places to see and things to do.

Thanks Tom. I didn't know you were going to put it in the Library as a spreadsheet - should have known you'd do it up right. Awesome, now I can add a "Date Visited" field and maybe even a "GPS" field.

Wendy

Wendy,

Please send me any modified file you create, so I can update the one in the library. TIA.

Tom said:
Wendy,

Please send me any modified file you create, so I can update the one in the library. TIA.

Okey doke. BTW, I don't have Excel but I do have OpenOffice and the file downloaded just fine into that lovely FREE program.

Wendy

Tom,

I've sent you my spreadsheet tonight in a separate spreadsheet, expanded somewhat.

I'm also trying to attach it here, hope it comes through.

- Jim and Nancy

Attachments

• US Railroad Museums.xls
    79 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Jim. I can see you've added a lot of good info to the file.

Wow, Jim. Thanks for the spreadsheet. Now I have TWO great railroad site lists. I love lists.

Wendy
San Clemente State Beach

I belong to The New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society located in Albuquerque NM.
This is the group restoring AT&SF 2926 to operational status. It is the largest 484 built.
We welcome visitors to our site.
www.nmslrhs.org.

Marli Allison
CIT/Webmaster
[email protected]

I do not remember the name, but there is a museum in Townsend Tn, that has a lot of information on the narrow gauge railroads that were used to log the Smokies before they became a national park. Townsend is a very small town, so if you are ever there, you cannot miss the museum on the one and only road thru town.

I see you went to Altoona, PA, but did you get to Horseshoe curve?  Glitzen tunnels and Cresson are nearby too.  If you have time there the Canal Portage railroad museum is also close by Glitzen as well.

The best railroad museum and park for me has to be Steamtown Historical Site, Scranton PA.  It's Great!!  And friendly too!

Green Bay Wisconsin has a museum, nice, and they have the "Futura" train-set (The one that looks like the locomotive is an Edsel!

johncmr

Back
Top Bottom