Music on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
seilerbird said:
In the movie Paul plays air guitar (bass) using a female for the guitar.

Tom,

Technically, this really isn't air guitar, is it?

Steve

I don't think there is an offical technical explanation for what is air guitar. But I think if you are playing guitar and you don't have a guitar then you are playing air guitar. Maybe we should call it Woman guitar? It makes one wonder then how you would tune a Woman guitar.

Tom said:
... I came to find out there's even an air guitar championship and a YouTube video of the 2008 championship winning performance...

Fifty-three seconds of it was all I could take.  Anybody make it all the way through? 

I couldn't figure out how to stop it so I killed my entire forum session.

Lou, you could have just used the Back button in your browser to navigate away from the page, although there is a Stop button in the lower left that will stop it.

Reviving this old topic because I had a couple of questions for the folks who take along the "rubber pad" type drum kits in their RV ...

Any special brands? Does the kit come with software or some box that takes the output from the individual drums and feed it to an audio system?

I recently bought a Sony Workstation 3 for my grandson and sprang for a "band kit", comprised of a guitar, microphone, and drum kit (3 drums/pads, base pedal, and 2 cymbals/pads). Not at all what I was expecting. A DVD inserted in the Playstation offers a choice of song and difficulty level. The drums are color coded, and the on-screen display shows which color to play and when. The system keeps track of your accuracy. Similarly for the guitar player.

For now, this satisfies my lifelong desire to "play drums", at least when my grandson isn't playing. However, it made me wonder what "drums" the true musicians here take along in their RV.

Yeah Tom, what you described is a video game... sounds just like the "Rock Band" or "Guitar Hero" series commonly available in retail stores.

The premier brand of electronic drums available are Roland V-Drums.  They have a "brain" control unit that all the various audio cords from each drum plug into, and the various sound options are only limited by how many tones you have loaded (by computer) into your unit.  Similar to any high-end electronic keyboards (many made by Roland also) with multiple tones and sound effects.  Many drummers (myself included) don't really like the feel of the V-Drums though and much prefer the real thing, but for RVing they do of course have the advantage of quietness and portability... although V-Drums are made to be as realistic as possible and when set up they take up about as much space as a standard acoustic drum kit.

Here's a site with some purchase options... you can see the prices are about the same as standard acoustic drums too.  :eek:  ;)

The last band I was in did not have a drummer, but we did have a bass player with a drum machine.  I will never again play with a drum machine.  I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling...much preferable to playing with a clock.

Steve

Thanks Scott. Yes, Guitar Hero it is.

I could buy a Roland kit for what I'm into the Playstation III, accessories and a few games.

The last time I sat in front of a real drum kit was in the 60's when a friend invited me along to a gig his group was playing after work. I asked the drummer if I could "sit and try" before the real gig started, and he said "go ahead". I think I got stage fright when several folks came up to the stage and said "we didn't know you played in this group". Gimme a mic' and I'll sing, but I wasn't ready for the spotlight while plonking away at the drums  :(

I need to find time to visit the nearest large music store (The Guitar Center), about an hour from here. Last time I was there, they had a separate room set up to demo drum kits, but I didn't have time to stop.

[quote author=Luca1369]I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling..[/quote]

Steve,

Just curious how folks find the space to take along a full drum kit in an RV.

Tom said:
Just curious how folks find the space to take along a full drum kit in an RV.

I'm guessing the percentage has got to be somewhere between 0% and 0.1% perhaps.  ;)  It would be pretty difficult to fit all the drums, stands, cymbals, miscellaneous hardware, and mics/cords (if applicable for live playing) in the RV, not to mention the constant loading and unloading.  Just about any traveling band I've ever seen (or been in) brings along a van or cargo trailer for all the musical gear.  RV-wise, a toy hauler would be a good option as Steve mentioned.

It would be pretty difficult to fit all the drums, stands, cymbals, miscellaneous hardware, and mics/cords (if applicable for live playing) in the RV

That's exactly why I asked the question Scott. It was in response to Steve's comment:

I will never again play with a drum machine.

Luca1369 said:
The last band I was in did not have a drummer, but we did have a bass player with a drum machine.  I will never again play with a drum machine.  I much prefer a flesh and blood drummer that can play with feeling...much preferable to playing with a clock.

Steve

One of the more interesting "Bands" I have several recordings is actually directed....by a precussionist, He uses a drum machine....One of the best and no you can not buy one like it as .. Well... a lot of the electronics used by this group has a serial number of 0001 and there is no 0002.

However they also usually perform with a 2nd little back up group.. Generally a Philharmonic or Symphony, so they have real drums too.

If you have not figured out the name of Chip's band... it's Mannheim Steamroller

I use my RV almost exclusively for attending bluegrass festivals, so two banjos and a guitar are always in a bunk.

I play acoustic instruments. The thing I like is that they can be played anywhere; nothing else needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom