Must bring items for newbies and pro campers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jackquontee: God's Country is quite correct. I was referring to a hydraulic bottle jack, although my father-in-law used to carry a large floor jack with their 5W. Now days, the jack that comes with a vehicle is designed to work at specific jack points on that particular vehicle and probably won't be able to reach a good solid lifting point on your trailer. Much less lift it off the ground. Another option if you have a dual axle trailer is a ramp-type jack. You put it in front of, or behind the tire that is next to the flat, then use the tv to push or pull the good wheel up on the ramp. Theoretically, this will also raise the bad tire up enough to change it out with a spare.  As with lots of things, there are good and bad points with each, so I carry both, just to be on the safe side. As to how big is "big enough", look at the gross weight of the trailer, then get a jack rated the that weight. Then you'll be sure it'll get half the trailer up off the ground.  X2 on God's Country's advice about a ground pad and hazard triangles.

Alfa38User said:
Hoosier Daddy:

What tools in that Leatherman Wave get the most use??

The knife, pliers, wire cutter / stripper (at the pliers pivot point), and both screwdrivers are most commonly used.
But the scissors, file, and saw are sure handy when needed. I have put a new edge on the camp hatchet with the file and the saw can cut a small tree limb

Our philosophy is that if you discover something you want or need or forgot to pack/load after you have hit the road you can always pick it up somewhere.  Usually Walmart.  Happy RVing everyone.

IMHO, you should bring every tool that you own, can use confidently, and have the room and weight capacity for. No sense carrying expensive electrical test gear if you don't know how to use it, or are not comfortable using it.  The simple 12v tester (ice pick style) is probably the tool I see used most often. Secondly would be a multi-meter for AC power, resistance, continuity, etc.
    Being a Jack of all Trades, I carry a LOT of tools. Fortunately, I have not had to use several of them, yet, but they give me great comfort, knowing that I can put my hands on whatever I need.

Back
Top Bottom