Must Have apps and Websites for RVrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are tons of apps for RVers. I have KOA, Good Sam, Flying J, and about eight others. They are very helpful on trips.

I use all of the above, but just found CRIME and PLACE which will show you on a map or on a compass what the crime rate is in the area.  I used it when overnighting.....but I'm traveling alone (female) and have a dog to walk so I'm always cautious.

roadtripper1951 said:
I use all of the above, but just found CRIME and PLACE which will show you on a map or on a compass what the crime rate is in the area.  I used it when overnighting.....but I'm traveling alone (female) and have a dog to walk so I'm always cautious.
If you are nervous about boondocking while solo traveling, why do you do it? When I travel by myself (female), I stay at campgrounds. There are people all around you, and a nice air horn would alert them to a problem.

In response to UTTransplant, or anyone else who wonders why I boondock.....I have boondocked with my husband for 20 years, or my daughter once she turned 16.  We only parked in WalMarts in areas we felt comfortable.  When with my daughter, if we couldn't find a WM that felt good, we went to a hotel, checked in and asked if they would allow us as a guest since we were driving an RV.  They always said yes and directed us accordingly, and notified security that we were paying customers.  On more than one occasion when we checked out the following morning we were credited some to all of the room charge. 

As to the reason we boondock......We have a business in the NE that requires we be there from May - October.  We have a house there so do not need to live aboard for those months.  It is not a sightseeing tour, it is a get there asap kind of trip.  We drive the 1800 miles daylight to dark, only stopping to walk the dogs.  Driving efficiently, we can make it in 3 days. 

I'm considering the WalMart approach because it's what I'm used to.  I can get supplies at WM if necessary and there is usually a restaurant close by if I've tired of what we've brought on board.  And I have dogs to walk.  I always call ahead and in the past and have outright asked WM if it is in a safe neighborhood.  So far so good.  Last year we started using the Crime and Place app, and it kept us from choosing a sketchy neighborhood, there were no campgrounds nearby and we ended up "checking into" a Drury Inn, but not using the room. 

That all probably sounds really crazy!  This year my husband will make the initial trip with me, but I will drive back to the midwest on my own at least once to check on things, etc.  It's not really a pleasure trip, it's transportation that allows me to take the dogs and come and go from the Midwest - NE on a whim. 

I have other failsafes in place...I will take two cell phones....in case one breaks, gets dropped, etc., I will have a backup.  My RV has an alarm system that pings my iPhone if anyone so much as pushes against it.  Not to mention the siren.  I have wasp spray that I carry when walking the dog because I could actually spray someone from a distance instead of waiting till they are close enough to Mace.  And the Crime and Place app and Glympse I consider invaluable.  My husband will always be able to see exactly where I am on a map when he gets my text, which will be active for 3 hours.

I have marked on my GPS the Walmarts I know to be safe, and I try to stay at the same ones each time, but I will always use the Crime and Place app if I'm getting off the highway for any reason. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom