Must See's in Flagstaff, Sedona, Phoenix area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

turtleglass

Hello Everyone! 
My girlfriend and I are getting ready to head west from Albuquerque here in a few days and we are looking for some suggestions.  We will be heading to flagstaff, AZ first and will be needing a Campground (elec., wifi, and showers preferred) for about a week.  Were not exactly specific about HAVING to be in flagstaff, we have just heard its a nice place-so if there is an amazing campground anywhere in the vicinity, i'll take the suggestion .  Were wanting to take a motorcycle day trip to the grand canyon--any suggestions on some things to ABSOLUTELY NOT MISS (keeping in mind were coming from flagstaff, and will only be there 1 day)??  Here is some info about us:  2 Adults-Mid 20's- no children.  We both enjoy hiking, any kind of waterfalls, "balls of twine" we like to call it  (ex: WORLD LARGEST BALL OF TWINE) basically, top attractions.  My girlfriend is a pretty avid photographer so pretty/interesting/unique structures, best places for sunsets, good spots to animal watch etc.  Any good "local" spots for a drink, dinner, coffee, concert, trinket shopping, etc .  ANY suggestions welcome. 
We are also wanting to take a day trip to Sedona.  Same criteria apply....
After a week or so were going down towards Phoenix to visit some family for a day, and then planning on possibly trying to find another campground for a week give or take.  Any suggestions on anything to see/do/eat/visit in Phoenix?? 

If it helps after we leave Phoenix were planning on going to San Diego- our route and destinations are not set in stone by any means just trying to get some good ideas for the general areas....Thanks in advance for all the Wonderful suggestions im HOPING to receive =)

Be sure to spend a whole day at Grand Canyon. It really deserves more but sadly the average stay there is 2 hours.

If you have extra time while you're in Flagstaff, then Walnut Canyon, Sunset Volcano, and Wupatki National Monuments are great places to visit (Walnut Canyon and Wutpatki are early American ruins, Sunset Volcano is, well, a volcano).

Wendy

Oak Creek Canyon south of Flagstaff is a very pretty drive, but if you have a big RV you might want to do it just with the bike.  Jerome is an old mining town, here again don't take the RV.  Oatman is an unique place with burros wandering all around the town.

Wendy, help me out what is the name of the cliff dwellers Ruins?

Marsha~

Wendy, help me out what is the name of the cliff dwellers Ruins?

I'll pinch hit for Wendy until she gets a chance to respond 8) .

Montezuma's Castle is off I-17 north of Camp Verde and there are the ruins in Walnut Canyon east of Flagstaff just south of I-40. Both are in National Monuments.

On the way to Flagstaff, just off of I-40, are the Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater.  You can do a drive through of the former and the latter is worth a half day visit.

...Thanks a bunch Bernie.  I kept wanting to call it Mesa Verde Dwellings; but I knew that wasn't correct. 

I'm starting to get really "itchy" to get out of town.  We've been home since late October and I'm READY!!.

Marsha~

Try the Grand Canyon train, from Williams AZ, they have nice RV park next to train station.

There are both Montezuma Castle NM and Montezuma Well, part of the NM, in the area.  There is Wupatki NM too.

The ruins closest to Flagstaff are Walnut Canyon National Monument and Wupatki National Monument. At Walnut Canyon you hike down a fairly steep trail and loop around to visit those. They're older dwellings tucked into the cliffs. Oh, and you do have to climb back up - take your time, the air is thin in Flagstaff. At Wupatki, the ruins aren't cliff dwellings but are out in the open. They're more developed than Walnut Canyon. Both are great places to visit. BTW, it's currently politically incorrect to call them ruins, the preferred term is "ancestral dwellings" but ruins is faster to type and easier to remember.

Montezuma Castle National Monument is south of Flagstaff and could be a stop if you did the Sedona loop run. The ruins there are up in a cliff where you wonder just how the heck they got in and out of the dwellings. Very nice area and an easy walk.

If you need more ruins, there everywhere in the Four Corners area. Get an Indian Country map from the AAA (you can also buy them at most bookstores and visitor centers in the area) - it's the best map around for visiting the area.

Wendy
Yuma for one more day - too darn hot here

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm so excited to start our adventure.  Still looking for a camp ground, does anyone know any good ones near or around flagstaf? Were coming from albuquerque.
Thanks again!

Meteor Crater RV Park
I-40 Meteor Crater Road
Winslow, AZ 86047
(928) 289-4002
Place to overnight after you visit painted desert and petrified forest.

(928) 634-5283
Dead Horse Ranch SP
675 Dead Horse Ranch Rd.
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
west of Sedona.

You appear to be tent camping and travel by motorcycle. Be aware that most of us travel by RV and are sketchy on camping amenities!

In PHX, Heard museum, Scotsdale for shopping, baseball spring training is on this month.
110 miles west is Quartzsite where RVers gather to pass the winter boondocking in the desert.

Get off I-10 at Curiaco summit and go SW to N end of salton sea on a nice curvy 2 lave road. West of salton sea 25 miles is Borrago springs and Anza Borrego SP. 50+ sculptures are in and about the town. SP visiter's center west of town is quite nice.

Go up the mountain and stop in Julian for pie before continueing to SDO.

Camping in Flagstaff - Bonito Campground right next to the visitor center for Sunset Crater Nat Mon, no hookups, lots of trees. You might also want to consider staying at the NPS campground in Grand Canyon or the forest service campground just outside of GC. And there are several private campgrounds in Flagstaff, just google it.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom