My 1986 minnie winnie unknown switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is 3 switches labelled  (porch ceiling and floor) right next to the entry door of my 1986 winnebago minnie winnie

I have two switches by the door. The porch light is the amber light that is on the outside of the RV next to the door. The other turns one of the overhead lights on/off inside. There is an on/off switch on the ceiling light also.

My floor switch is back by the bathroom sink. It turns on a "night light" that shines across the floor.

Thank you I wonder why my floor switch has tape over it hope it works or doesn't blow anything if I try to turn it on

Ok I turn the switch when I got home and it blew a fuse for my lights of half the rv looked at the fuse box saw that all the fuses were 15amp except the 10amp fused that popped for the lights do you recommend putting a 15amp fuse to replace it or just get a new 10amp fuse

Never use a fuse rated higher than what is factory installed. It's made to handle a specific load and protects the wiring. Somewhere from the switch that's taped over to the load there is a grounded hot wire or the hot wire is shorted to the ground wire coming back from the load. Just need to visually trace the wires and repair the fault.

Try taking the bulb out of the nightlight (more than one nightllight?)  put the 10 amp fuse back in and try again. It may be something as simple as the bulb installed incorrectly, the wrong type bulb or the fixture is faulty.

Verify that 10 amp is correct for that fuse. Maybe someone only had a 10 amp and replaced the 15 amp with the 10 amp.

Unless you have one extremely serious floor nightlight, 15amp versus 10amp isn't going to matter.  If it's blowing the fuse with nothing else on but a simple light, then you have a short in the circuit somewhere which is likely why the switch was taped over.

I would check the fixture first since that's the place where the positive and negative are most likely to come together.

wae said:
Unless you have one extremely serious floor nightlight, 15amp versus 10amp isn't going to matter. ..
I see you point however it is a good practice to always use the correct size fuse.  It's not just the current draw of the device to consider, it's also related to the gauge of the wiring.  Large amperage fuse + small gauge wire = trouble.  You are probably correct that it wouldn't matter that much in this situation but I would want to understand the gauge of the branch circuit. Easier to just use the rated fuse.

I have see single base contact bulbs put in a holder that is made for double contact base, pops the fuse every time. I'm the guilty one, I did that..

Thanks for the help I looked behind the switch all seems well I did start unscrewing the nights lights along the floor one is blown so going to replace them

Back
Top Bottom