My battery’s are over charging help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geoffrhea

I have this solar charger

OOYCYOO MPPT Solar Controller 40A
Three times now it’s over charging my two 6 volt battery’s I have 300 watts of solar on top……im trying to tune this in or should I just get a better controller?……please help

I have this solar charger

OOYCYOO MPPT Solar Controller 40A
Three times now it’s over charging my two 6 volt battery’s I have 300 watts of solar on top……im trying to tune this in or should I just get a better controller?……please help
Welcome!

What is your evidence of overcharging from the controller?

And what type of batteries?

-Don- Reno, NV

If the batteries are ACTUALLY over charging. it's the controller. Either it is programmed wrong or it is defective. But as DonTom said reworded.. Why do you think it's doing that?

Offhand, if it is overcharging, I'd say it's the controller. Buy one that has a proven track record, such as a Morningstar. It doesn't hurt a bit to spend the little bit of extra money to install a temp sensor for your system.

Buy one that has a proven track record, such as a Morningstar
That's of course great advice, and I love Morningstar, but they are a bit pricey compared to the alternatives. I have both the Morningstar MPPT 60 ($665) and a few installations with the Epever 40 amp ($160 with external monitor), and both seem to perform about equally in terms of actual watts harvested (assuming the user's needs are pretty simple, a 12 volt battery bank and a solar array voltage of less than 100 volts, although they now have higher voltage units). I definitely don't regret buying the Morningstar, but there are some pretty good cheaper options these days.

From the Amazon reviews it sounds like the charge controller the OP is using might not be one of them though...

Last edited:
Assuming the OP has 17 volt panels, not 48 volt, a Morningstar TS-45 PWM for about $200 would serve them well. An MPPT isn't needed in all situations.

If the batteries are ACTUALLY over charging. it's the controller. Either it is programmed wrong or it is defective. But as DonTom said reworded.. Why do you think it's doing that?
Battery’s are boiling over……this controller is hard to find any info or programming notes

Battery’s are boiling over……this controller is hard to find any info or programming notes
I d/l'd the manual yesterday but didn't post. It is a 3-stage charger but is not programmable for any battery types. I reckon it is set up to charge lead acid. There does appear to be programming for time of day harvesting for some reason. There is also a factory reset, undervolt limits and a float voltage set. It doesn't appear to indicate how to do that but there is a factory reset button that I would try first.

Charger Manual

Have you check the output voltage while it is charging?

Not to disagree with kdbgoat but I always recommend an MPPT controller above 200W.

The voltage is the magic number to know here. Batteries will gas at anything north of 14V or so and that's a normal part of absorb phase. This would only be abnormal if the absorb phase continues beyond it's prescribed time period or the voltage continues to climb beyond that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Let's leave conjecture behind and get some facts. We need to know:
  • The measured voltage being applied to the batteries
  • Battery wiring, e.g. series vs parallel, connections at the posts, corrosion, etc.
  • Battery age & condition
  • More details about when this boiling occurs, e.g. non-stop, only at peak sun, etc.

13 volts being applied to battery’s at controller
Wired in series
Two year old battery’s
Noticed boiling during peak sun

I d/l'd the manual yesterday but didn't post. It is a 3-stage charger but is not programmable for any battery types. I reckon it is set up to charge lead acid. There does appear to be programming for time of day harvesting for some reason. There is also a factory reset, undervolt limits and a float voltage set. It doesn't appear to indicate how to do that but there is a factory reset button that I would try first.

Charger Manual

Have you check the output voltage while it is charging?

Not to disagree with kdbgoat but I always recommend an MPPT controller above 200W.
13 volts being applied at contoler

13V is not high enough to "boil" a battery nor is it an indication of overcharge. The only way hard gassing could happen at that voltage is if one of the batteries has a shorted cell and the controller is dumping in a bunch of current. If you have a hydrometer you can measure the electrolyte in each cell and see if one of them is bad. Otherwise, there's something else going on which we'll need more detailed measurements to discern.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

13 volts being applied to battery’s at controller
Wired in series
Two year old battery’s
Noticed boiling during peak sun
Measure the voltage directly on the batteries in case there is excessive voltage drop after the controller. Perhaps from a shorted cell in a battery or something like that. Such will draw excessive current, which will drop the voltage.

13.0 volts across the batteries while charging sounds more like an undercharge to me in normal conditions. I would expect at least a few tenths more, but ONLY measure this voltage directly across the battery, and right on the battery terminals themselves, not on their connectors.

If you really have the facts correct here, Mark has it right in the previous message. But I think you should double check everything, start with the voltage right across the battery terminals in normal charging operation, when you think it is overcharging.

If you have two six volt batteries in series, measure each one and compare their voltages.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom