My new hearing aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad you're getting things worked out. when I had my test with the HA in and he made the adjustment, it made a hugh difference for me. So you kept the volume adjustment on the aids? I do sometimes turn mine down a bit, but I can hear things I forgot about, hadn't heard for so long.

Tom, you get your new ones programmed yet?

92GA, yes I still have the volume control.  I may ask for Zoom control but I am unsure if that has to replace the volume control.  If it does then then likely not.  Depends on how thing are in the motorhome.  We have not been anywhere since I got the HA so that is still an adventure to be experience. 

Jennifer

PS. Tom S.  What brand HA do you have?

I just looked yours up. Looks like yours has to be manual zoom, that's too bad. So you will most likely have to replace the volume control to get the zoom feature. Only the Q90 has auto zoom control. Mine are the older version of the Q90 and have auto zoom control, they do it automatically. Don't know exactly how that works, I believe they zoom in on speech. You can however get a remote control so you can increase or decrease the volume, but they aren't cheap either. Don't know if Aids can correct every thing, but I think mine are amazing. Problem I'm having is all my family members are so used to talking very loud to me so I could hear what they were saying.

I just picked up another aid like mine with a remote control on Ebay  for $200.00. They are like new and still under warranty. Only problem is the remote and instructions are in French. My audio guy will have to program it for english. Just the remote goes for over $400.00 new, this one still had the protective film on the screen.

Good deal 92GA!!!!

I tried the TV Link without success due to echo.  No matter what changed (except mute) I got an echo.  I do not think I would have gotten the echo with a totally in the ear model.

Finally reset HA to original settings with reduced bass.  Had adjusted due to "resonance" sound (like a vibration of word end).  Much better.  I still hear a gravelly sound some but reducing the volume helps or eliminates.  All in all happy with current setting.  I will call her to see if she wants to do minor adjustment.

Jennifer, who is happy to hear most stuff, even in restaurant environment. 

I spent last week in California attending a family reunion last Sunday. My other sister Jackie cornered me and told me that her husband Bob is stone deaf in one ear and did I think the hearing aids would help. I called Bob over and talked to him about it and he had been to an audiologist who tested him and told him a hearing aid wohuld not solve his problem. I told Bob he should try my hearing aids for a few minutes and see how they work for him. I don't think there is a disease you can get from someone's ear but I cleaned them real good first. He tried them and it improved the hearing in the deaf ear but did nothing for the good ear. So my sister decided to order one for him and see if she could talk him into trying it out. Here is a copy of the email I got from him yesterday:

Jackie took the bull by the horns and got me one of those hearing aids like you have, and I have it in right now. It definitely makes my left ear hearing better, even though I've only had it in for about 15 minutes. From my first reaction to it, I don't think I'll have any problem getting used to it - it's pretty much un-noticable except for the sound. But I guess you know all that. Anyway I wanted to let you know that I have one and it looks like it'll work for me, so thanks.  I wasn't about to spend 5 grand for an aid, but for $350 it's pretty much a no brainer. Heh, I'm sitting here listening to the clocks tick. :)

Tom,
Thanks for sharing.  Hearing aids  benefit  not  only the  "wearer" but their spouse and friends as well.  I encourage everyone to give them a try.  Terry's new hearing aids were life changing for ME.  He likes them as well but  I mention this as a spouse who has  had to shout,  argue about missed wording, grow frustrated with his retreat away from friends, interpret what waitress said and entire myriad of issues that are now resolved.

Can you hear me now ?  I encourage everyone with a hearing  problem to  seek help if not for them for their SPOUSE or others close by.

I went and had the aids I bought off ebay reprogrammed last week. The guy only charged me $25.00 and that included new buds. So now I have 2 sets, I've been worried about getting them too wet, as I sweat a lot. So now I change out, wear them every other day. He also reprogrammed my remote for English from french, but it will only work with one set of aids.

Betty - That was exactly my sister's point for buying Bob a hearing aid, she enjoys it as much as he does. I got an interesting email this morning from Bob:

You're not gonna believe this - well, you probably will. I've been wearing the aid all day, and when I finished cleaning up the mess I made in the kitchen this evening, I went to take a shower. Guess what. Yeah, you know - I forgot I had the hearing aid in. I thought for sure I'd ruined it, but I guess I got it out soon enough because it's still OK. Goes to show you how irritating it isn't. :) Even after only a couple of days, I don't even know it's there.

I finally joined the rank of the hearing aid crowd. Several months ago I signed up with the VA hoping to get some of my transplant meds cheaper. They wanted to test for hearing loss since I kept asking them to repeat themselves. The bottom line is I now have 2 Phonak Audeo Q HA at no cost, bad thing is now I have no excuse for ignoring Jane.
    Now I know what I was missing, nothing is louder like I expected instead it is much more clear. Now I dont have to have the text on the TV and can enjoy music for the first time since getting out of the Army. Oh and the tinnitus is all but gone.
    There are a lot of complaints about the VA and I once swore I would never return after an experience back in the 70's but they have been great here in Orlando. My med now cost $48/month instead of $600/month and free hearing aids to boot........and batteries.

After a lot of years going through the cheap hearing aids and having them not work well for him, Bob finally went to the VA and got some good ones last year. His hearing loss is service connected from working on the rifle range back before they gave them ear protection. The new ones work great and he can run the TV through them. Now we can watch a movie together in the same room without me having to wear earplugs or without him having to ask me every other line what they said. The draw back is that now I have to watch what I say about him when he's around.  ;)

Caryl

"sounds" like he got the same ones I did,  Phonak Audeo Q . They are bluetooth besides the TV you can answer your phone thru them. They talk to each other also during set-up.

He probably did time in service when I did, all we had were cigarette butts to stick in our ears.

I just got another set after wearing out the last ones. The newest ones are called Resound and are not up to the same quality as the Phonak or Siemens brands. They are a bit less $ but they will not hold up near as well. My last 3 sets have been Bluetooth and the remote control that comes with these is garbage compared to the others. The technology in them is great, just the quality of how they are manufactured is what it garbage. Just an FYI to others.

My new hearing aids are about useless now. I am now completely deaf in my left ear, the only thing I can hear very clearly is the tinnitus. I will know more in a couple of weeks after I visit the doctor again. It is a bit frightening to be progressively losing my hearing, at this rate I'll be stone deaf in the next 10 years. 

SeilerBird said:
I am sorry to hear about your hearing problems John. Was this caused by loud rock music, firing a gun or what?

Compliments of United States Navy Aviation...I was an aircraft handler in the military years ago (we didn't ALWAYS have hearing protection in those days) and ever since I've had severe tinnitus and progressive hearing loss. The VA does pay me $130.00/month for the ear piercing tinnitus I have, and I am Service Connected hearing loss at 0%.

Oscar Mike said:
My new hearing aids are about useless now. I am now completely deaf in my left ear, the only thing I can hear very clearly is the tinnitus. I will know more in a couple of weeks after I visit the doctor again. It is a bit frightening to be progressively losing my hearing, at this rate I'll be stone deaf in the next 10 years.

John,

There is hope. The Cochlear Implant while not perfect it far better than going deaf. Talk to me at Moab.

ken

Back
Top Bottom