My Rhino Flex coupler leaks like a sieve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rhino hoses seem to improve with each iteration.  We're on our 3rd one and it's the best designed yet.  The new fitting locks work very well and easily and the right angle head swivels for a perfect fit.  We saved the previous one and added Rhino couplers to make it an extension hose.  The only reason we replaced it was it got cut by a weed eater and I had to cut the end off, making it shorter.

Good to see some positive responses as well.  Based on previous positive comments, I ordered a Rhino hose and extension for my first sewer hose.  I didn't want to re-enact the scene from the dump station in the movie "RV".  ;D

I am going out to work on my "new" Rhinos, which are not what I used on the last coach (and they never leaked), and see if some of the problems here are also mine.

But mine have leaked from day one and I have had them apart several times. This is not rocket science.  :mad:

Mine leak too, at all fittings.  As stated, they only drip but leak none the less.  I made sure they were tight to no avail.  I bought ours at Wal-Mart, could they have different fittings there??

Thanks  Chuck

Ordered mine through Camping World.  Interesting where the ones that leaked came from.  Mine does not leak. So far working great.

Well, I got a chance to test my hose this past weekend. It looks like screwing the hose further into the coupler helped with that part of the problem but, alas, the coupler still leaks where it connects to the 90 degree elbow. I took a quick video showing the connection and the leaking.  It's a little difficult to see but I tried to show that the gasket on the coupler seems to be fine.

I dumped the gray water to help you keep your lunch down but trust me, the black water leaks just the same...

I *think* the forum rules allow me to link to my video but I can remove if this is a violation.

http://youtu.be/eC9-byBm-Yo

I got the hose and coupler from my local RV dealer and the elbow through Amazon.

Interested to hear any further ideas.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

It wasn't a Rhino, but I recently replaced a hose tat had a small (very) leak caused by a string trimmer. Reason for replacement was the old one attracted a BEAR and he really tore it up. Apparently, he smelled something he liked and proceeded to look for it.

Incidentally, we slept through the event and found muddy paw prints where he braced himself on the side of the Motor Home; apparently in an attempt to look in the window. Figured out the source of the goodies?? Leaky hoses = BAD! At least in southern Colorado boondocks.

Ernie

Tom, interesting video and that would be enough reason for me to fix it or quit using it for sure. That leaks way more than I thought it would. The only difference I see is I don't use the clear plastic elbow. Have you tried hooking just your hose up and see if it leaks from that connection. That would at least narrow it down to the elbow. Think I'll have a look at mine again to see if there is a way to shim that gasket. I'm pretty sure if you tighten up that seal a bit it would solve the problem as long as it is not too tight. Seems like a quality control issue with the tolerances are right at this joint.

That is EXACTLY what mine is doing with the clear 90 ell. I got some ideas from your video, though, and will go and do a similar test. This isn't rocket science and that is not a high pressure connection.

Thanks for taking the time!

I have a Rhino but don't use it much any more.  In my situation I run into problems with people stepping on the hose since I camp in fairground-like settings where there's all kinds of foot traffic.  That will damage any hose, but the problem with the Rhino is that it isn't possible to buy the hose alone in most cases, so you have to replace the whole kit at considerable expense.  I also found that it didn't fit in the drawer I have for such things without disassembly.

Never had a problem with leakage.

I guess I was never convinced either that the Rhino solved any problem I actually have.  I've had good luck with the plain vinyl hoses and stainless steel clamps.  I get the somewhat heavier gauge ones and replace them from time to time when they develop holes.

I have a 15 ft rhino and a 5ft extension.  The only time it has ever leaked is when I had to stretch it in a back in campsite to a sewer connection behind the trailer.  These Funfinder tanks are far forward!!

It seems the votes are in!  Rhino is great but at some point they had a bad batch that some of us unwittingly ended up with. 

Mine is a drip drip drip, not a full on leak at the connection, but I have tried everything to no avail. I have another much older and faded non-Rhino fitting that never leaks but for some reason I can't get it connected to the Rhino hose. Grrrr...

When I get rich and famous, I want to throw the whole lot out and buy all new heavy duty sewer hose and connections.  ;D  I don't want a clear one either!  I don't want to look at the stuff coming out of my black tank.    :eek:  No thanks. I got better things to look at.

The drip drip isn't an issue with gray water, but when I pull the plug on the black water, I make sure I have something to catch the drip drip drips in so I can dump that down the hole too.

I would have taken my leaky one back for refund, but I was a hundred miles down the road when I first used it and I kept assuming it was operator error but now I am convinced, having tried everything that it bypassed  quality standards and I need to replace it.

I had a leak at the swivel joint, not at the coupling end, between the hose and locking end

I finally took my Rhino apart.  Cleaned all the parts including the hose, added a little grease to the outside of the hose (it appeared that it had grease from the factory) and reassembled. So far no leaks.

BUT, there is no way I should have had to spend the time to clean it if it was correct from the factory. I still would never buy another Rhino.

ken

I found an O-ring that fit the coupling and "kinda" got one of my leaks slowed. Still unacceptable to put that much work (and make such a mess) into a low tech product like a sewer connection.

I have replaced the hose with another brand.

If the Rhino had not come with the new coach, I would have taken it back. Still may.  :mad:

On the other side of the coin, last weekend I made my first dump with the new-to-us RV and the new Rhinoflex and had no problems or leaks whatsoever.  It does appear that there may have been a bad batch out there. 

I bought a Rhino flex from Walmart a couple of months ago and have had to tighten the leaky thing twice now. Drips slowly at the hose connection into the motorhome. I tighten it, it lasts a few times then starts dripping again, so it seems to work itself loose somehow?

Ken & Sheila said:
I finally took my Rhino apart.  Cleaned all the parts including the hose, added a little grease to the outside of the hose (it appeared that it had grease from the factory) and reassembled. So far no leaks.

BUT, there is no way I should have had to spend the time to clean it if it was correct from the factory. I still would never buy another Rhino.

ken

Fix lasted two weeks, leaking again. It's now in the garbage!!!!

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richielk
Back
Top Bottom