My Second Portfolio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

i retired from RVing in 2013 and set up permanently in central Florida. I had been on the road for ten years and I had taken thousands of shots. A few hundred every day. This was a lot of fun but there was a severe penalty. Every day I had to spend 2 to 3 hours downloading, Photoshopping, editing, adding a description and putting the image in the proper folder. When I retired I vowed to stop doing that and discovered cell phone photography. All my images are automatically uploaded to my computer so an SD card is not needed. Photoshopping is rarely needed.

Over the last ten years I have taken thousands more shots and I never edited them or organized them. I decided last week that I really needed to get to work. First I has to go through all the images of the last ten years and delete the duplicates, of which there were many, and eliminate the no longer needed images. Then I cleaned up the folders for each album. Next I held a beauty pageant to determine my favorite images from the past ten years. The original My Portfolio has 90 images and My Second Portfolio has 100 of my favorites with no duplication between the two albums. I am posting my top ten below. If you wish to see all 100 then go here and click on any image and it will fill the screen. Then you can use the right arrow to look through all the images. Almost all the images were shot in Florida and most of the shots are with a cellphone.

Flycatcher, Vermillion (1).jpgPurple flower (2).jpgSunrise at Road Runner.jpgWishes fireworks 1.jpgStranger on the Shore.jpgRed flower cluster.jpgSandhills on parade.jpgEgret portrait 2.jpgCrested Caracara eating lunch.jpgPXL_20221203_130137200.jpg

Thank you David. I love your avatar. I was raised with a collie as my best friend. Daisy was one of my very first photographic subjects. You don't get prettier or friendlier than with a collie.

View attachment 167661View attachment 167662
Our dog Finn is an amazing soul. Collies are wonderful dogs. Very gentle and friendly. Love those pictures of Daisy...really sweet.

That's some amazing photography. I'm definitely following this thread to go back and see the linked content.

My efforts are more like a blind squirrel finding a nut. Once in a while one just comes out a winner, usually with the least amount of effort.

That's some amazing photography. I'm definitely following this thread to go back and see the linked content.

My efforts are more like a blind squirrel finding a nut. Once in a while one just comes out a winner, usually with the least amount of effort.
Thank you. I posted an article on tips for people having trouble getting good results. It might help.

And one of them was my avatar here. Taken by Seilerbird while I was staying there for a couple of weeks:

373.jpg

One of the best places I have been to. Notice I had no other RVs close to me.

-Don- Reno, NV

Something I hang onto a DSLR for is control of depth of field. I see a few shots here where that helped make the shot. So you've done these with a cell phone? Can you control depth of field with exposure and zoom or do you just get what you get?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Something I hang onto a DSLR for is control of depth of field. I see a few shots here where that helped make the shot. So you've done these with a cell phone? Can you control depth of field with exposure and zoom or do you just get what you get?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Yes I can control all variables with my cellphone camera. You are correct, there are shots that I should have used a narrow depth of field. However when I retired from the road and stopped shooting with a DSLR I decided I was only going to take photos on automatic and now worry about creating masterpieces with creative settings. Too much work, I just point and shoot.

Your samples are great, Seilerbird.

I have been shooting digital since the 80's. I have always been religious about organizing my photos. I even have a several folders with old obscure proprietary file types like Ricoh. Fortunately I converted them to JPG before support for those types disappeared forever.

When parents passed my sibs, like most, squirreled away family photos, many times not telling the other sibs what they had - sibling rivalry jealousy thing I guess.

As one of the younger sibs I ended up with very little. I spent about a year visiting my other sibs, buying a box of wine and a scanner they could keep, scanning all their photos.

I have them all in DropBox organized by year and month.

You are right about the convenience of cell phones, auto upload and mirroring to the hard drive on the PC. I can take a photo on the road in Canada and in a few seconds it is in my Hard drive in Florida.

Your samples are great, Seilerbird.

I have been shooting digital since the 80's. I have always been religious about organizing my photos. I even have a several folders with old obscure proprietary file types like Ricoh. Fortunately I converted them to JPG before support for those types disappeared forever.

When parents passed my sibs, like most, squirreled away family photos, many times not telling the other sibs what they had - sibling rivalry jealousy thing I guess.

As one of the younger sibs I ended up with very little. I spent about a year visiting my other sibs, buying a box of wine and a scanner they could keep, scanning all their photos.

I have them all in DropBox organized by year and month.

You are right about the convenience of cell phones, auto upload and mirroring to the hard drive on the PC. I can take a photo on the road in Canada and in a few seconds it is in my Hard drive in Florida.
Thanks ex-Calif. What were you shooting with digitally in the 80s?

Thanks ex-Calif. What were you shooting with digitally in the 80s?
I had a bunch of different "point and shoot" type digitals, before photo imaging became part of our phones.

I mention the Ricoh and it had a file type of .RCI or some such. The other two or three were probably Sony, Canon and so on. There was a while the Japanese invaded the low end point and shoot market in a big way.

I also owned a Sony Mavica if anyone remembers those - Imagine. Shooting directly to a floppy disk you can put in your PC! No cables and weird drivers to install! Magic - LOL...

I have never been a "photo" buff. I didn't even take the easy photography class credit in high school or JC - I think my buddies took those classes only to hit on chicks - LOL

As a boomer I also grew through the video progression. My first video recorder was Betamax. On big battery on a shoulder strap, one giant home sized tape recorder and a camera that looked like something a Vietnam war correspondent would carry. I till have 2 betamax reels from then.

Then I did the VHS-C and have a lot of those laying around.

Finally these days I just shoot them on the phone.

1695213529220.png

there are shots that I should have used a narrow depth of field.
Quite the opposite. For what appears to be long range shots there is a surprising degree of background blur, something I'm used to seeing with real glass but not cell phones.

now worry about creating masterpieces with creative settings. Too much work, I just point and shoot.
I heard a long time ago, probably before there was such a thing as digital cameras that the best camera there is, is the one you have in your hand. I like the control I get with a DSLR but I'm not taking it on hikes, and a lot of times a shot presents itself and the only thing I have is the phone anyway. What kind of phone are you/have you been using?

I had a mavica too. While the resolution wasn't remarkable, it had decent optics so the image didn't go to hell when you zoomed in. I had a "telephoto adapter" for it too, took many thousands of pictures with that setup. What sucked was waiting for the file to get saved to the floppy before you took another shot.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Quite the opposite. For what appears to be long range shots there is a surprising degree of background blur, something I'm used to seeing with real glass but not cell phones.

I heard a long time ago, probably before there was such a thing as digital cameras that the best camera there is, is the one you have in your hand. I like the control I get with a DSLR but I'm not taking it on hikes, and a lot of times a shot presents itself and the only thing I have is the phone anyway. What kind of phone are you/have you been using?

I had a mavica too. While the resolution wasn't remarkable, it had decent optics so the image didn't go to hell when you zoomed in. I had a "telephoto adapter" for it too, took many thousands of pictures with that setup. What sucked was waiting for the file to get saved to the floppy before you took another shot.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The last two years I have been shooting with a Pixel 7 Pro. I am a Googleaholic so I use as much Google as I can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom