NADA Wholesale really possible on used units?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LindaH said:
If I were selling my RV, I would not accept wholesale value for it.  Heck, if I were going to accept wholesale, I'd sooner trade it in (because that's all the dealers will give you) than go to all the expense and trouble trying to sell it myself.

That assumes you are trading on a new unit and that the unit you are trading in is relatively new and in workable condition.  A older, high-use unit would likely not even get a trade offer at most dealers since they have to believe they will be able to re-sell it for a profit for them to want it. 

So yes, if you are selling a relatively new (less than 10 years old) unit that is in good shape and trading up, then a dealer trade might make the most sense.

If you are simply trying to get rid of (not trade up) an older unit, a private sale is likely your only option.

NADA says their RV retail book values are estimates based on average depreciation for all RVs. Don't know where they get their wholesale values for the dealer book.

The Camping World site mentioned above does not give us wholesale prices or anything else other than the CW asking price.

Jeep07 said:
For instance I find a Class C 1996 Tioga Montara 31' that has been taken care off and well maintained and I'm very comfortable making an offer.  Well I go to my book and it lists wholesale at $8070 and used retail at $11940.  Guy listed for 15k.  40k on OD and 600 hrs on gen.  no damage and it had been taken care of.  Well Guy wont even consider anything in the price range and I even offered 13k because I liked it and it was worth it to me.  Refused that too..  Turns out it's selling for almost the asking.. 

It is my experience that NADA is a useful guide for late model.  Anything approaching 10 years back and beyond will sell based primarily on condition, not age or market.  When you stop to consider how easy it is to put $5k or $10k into a used rig this makes sense.  Too, if you consider that a 1999 rig that has been driven extensively and parked outside is going to be in worse shape than a 1996 rig that has been garaged, you see that the basic premise of price being a function of only make, model, and year is flawed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom