National RV Cable Routing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrwood

Hey Folks I'm a RV newbie, just purchased a used 2005 37' National Tropical LX. Since they're on longer in business I can't go to them for info, so here I am. I've replaced the front and rear TV's with new flat screens and upgraded my receiver as well. Of course all the new stuff uses HDMI instead of coaxial to connect components. So I need to route a new HDMI cable from the front receiver bay above the right side windshield to the rear TV in the bedroom in the back of the coach. I was hoping someone may have under taken this and might have some suggestions for routing of the new cable ( overhead, below thru the trunks, etc. especially how to get out of the front overhead to one of these routes)? Any ideas would be much appreciated as I have the skills, but could use some input from those who might have gone before me.....

The two most common ways of upgrading cables are to route through the ceiling a/c ducts or underneath the coach. A few coaches have cable raceways in the ceiling, but I don't think the Tropical is one of them.  HDMI cables are bulky and rather expensive for long runs. You can get adapters that convert HDMO to use twisted pair wiring (Lan 5e LAN wiring), which is less expensive and easier to route in tight places.  You might also consider wireless HDMI adapters to eliminate cables altogether, but they are pricey.

Often there is a removable cover on the windshield posts with wires routed behind it. See if your windshield trim has screws (maybe under removable "buttons") or perhaps velcro fasteners.

Can you tell which way  the current coax runs? Up to the ceiling or down to the floor?

Hi mrwood.
How did your cable routing project turn out?

I have a less complex project that I'm looking for some advice on:
I simply need to replace an existing HDMI cable... I have a brand new Northwood Nash TT, and the HDMI cable broke on the first trip. (the male end of the cheap-o cable just broke off inside of the TV input)
I've accessed both ends of the broken cable by removing the entertainment console, and was about to just pull the old one through the ceiling, fishing the new one through in it's path.. but, i started to pull it through and am feeling a lot of resistance... i can pull it, but it takes some force.
My concern is that as i pull the cable through the ceiling cavity, it will catch on the insulation and other wiring causing it to bunch up, tangle or otherwise cause damage...

any advice?

Thanks!
Curtis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom