Navion diesel gen set - bogus low oil level warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayincorrales

It has been awhile since I've posted, my issue isn't exactly related to this subject, but I couldn't find other threads that fit either....

On my 2009 Navion, after running the diesel generator for 15 minutes or so, the following message is displayed on the control pad "Check oil level!". When I check the oil (generator hot or cold) it is fine.

I've taken the unit to a local Cummins dealership / service shop and they said that I had some carbonization and that I needed to run it longer with more of a load to burn off the carbon. I've been running it monthly for 60 minutes or so (with the AC) running so I'm not sure about that.

Anyway, the warning message is still being displayed. The exhaust also smells pretty hot to me.

Any ideas or suggestions would be recommended....I'm sure that a return trip to the cummins place is needed.

Ray

I'm not sure how Cummins low oil sensor works, but commonly it is really a temperature sensor (the idea being if low on oil, the engine will heat up).  If that is the way your generator oil sensor works then your problem might be poor cooling air flow - especially since you think the exhaust may be hotter than it should be.

That is a good idea....I'll have to see if I can figure out the cooling air flow and if there is any way to improve it.

Thanks,

Ray

60 min/month of running under load is more than enough to keep that genset in top shape. I wish I was that consistent with mine! If your manual doesn't have an explanation I would call Cummins to find out the details on the low oil sensor so you can narrow down your search and you know what to chase down. Carbon build up and hot exhaust both point to over fueling to me. This can be caused from too much idle time, as I presume the dealer was trying to imply. If your air cleaner is ok and you are not doing any excessive idling I would make sure they understand that so they look harder at the fuel system. Could have an injector dribbling, etc. If it gets bad you will be able to smell & feel fuel on your eng. oil dipstick (the fuel will get past the piston rings and into the oil). If you notice anything on the stick bring it in asap as fuel kills bearings. Let us know what you find.

I was not as good about it until after the cummins service trip....I'll make another appointment and let the group know what I find....the exhaust smells pretty bad, I would not want to be camping next to me at the moment. We've not had to be close to anybody since this problem arose.

Prior to the trip to Cummins, I had all the service done (oil change) and replaced the filters as recommended by the cummins manual.

Thanks again,

Ray

I think you will find the the "Check oil level" message is only a reminder to check the level.  It comes on after some number of hours of run time.  There is a simple reset procedure in the owners manual.  (mine is in storage, so I can't get it)  It drove me crazy until I figured that out !  I also thought it was a problem with the level sensor.

David  '10 Navion

David!!

You will not believe this, but I came to this same conclusion at work. I was reading the Cummins manual and there it was. I tested this once I got home and sure enough, the message reset - how simple, just press "start" and wait for a few seconds....

I am very surprised that the guys at the Cummins service center didn't tell me or figure this out based upon my description of the problem.

Oh well, thanks for the post....

BTW, does your Genset exhaust smell excessively like diesel? I have an appointment with Cummins tomorrow, I would like them to check on that issue....

Thanks again!

Ray

Yes, the genset diesel exhaust smells pretty strong, unlike the exhaust from the "clean diesel" of the motorhome itself.

David '10 Navion

The cummins place confirmed that the fuel injector is bad and that over-fueling is taking place.

They are going to call the factory in an effort to cover it under warrantee....

The cost of the injector is $1400! So I hope they are successful.

I'll post again when the final conclusion is reached.

Ray

Ray, glad they found the problem. On an 09 I would think they should be able to cover a pump under warranty. Did you ever check your oil to see if you could feel or smell fuel before you brought it in? Hopefully it hasn't been going on too long. After an oil analysis then sight & smell are the next best options for watching for problems.

the exhaust smells pretty bad, I would not want to be camping next to me at the moment

If you were to smell around the exhaust pipes of both the main engine and the genset then I guess the genset exhaust would smell a little stronger because of the shorter tailpipe. The main engine also has a much better muffler. If any exhaust is so bad it is overwhelming the campsite next to you then that is a signal that something is wrong. I'm kind of surprised the dealer didn't catch this on your first visit.

I was a little surprised they didn't catch this on the first visit as well. I think the issue was that the service desk didn't write it up in a manner that high-lighted my real concern....because I felt there was a bigger issue (the smelly exhaust) I made a combo visit and had them do all the annual maintainance items as well (oil change, filters, etc). I think the person who does the actual work didn't realize my biggest concern was the exhaust.

On this visit, the guy who does the work actually called me and we spoke on the phone, so he got a real clear indication of what was worrying me. He called yesterday, but I missed him....he's been in contact with the factory, so I hope to get some news today.

I'll repost when I hear for sure...thanks to all....Ray

Here is another status post....the guys at Cummins replaced the injector system, I was told that while running the generator on the bench with the shop's fuel, there was no white smoke. So they re-installed it on my unit and the white smoke returned. (The white smoke is very slight, it is not obvious unless you are looking for it.)

We went on a trip immediately after getting the unit back (over New Year's) and the exhaust smell is still very strong, I would not want to expose any of my neighbors to it!

So I am wondering....is this normal? Should I take it back toCummins?

The guy at Cummins has been very helpful, and since I don't really know how diesel generators should smell, I am somewhat reluctant.

For what it is worth, I went around and smelled other diesel generators this past trip and my exhaust was the worst by far, but the other generators where on large Class A diesels, so I'm not sure it is fair to compare those larger generators to my little one.

I appreciate any opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray

Just curious is your fuel old as in years, is it red ? Test running a diesel on a regular basis is not the greatest idea, engine warms up and then cools down and can collect condensation in the engine, it takes a long time to cook out that water. Diesels sit a long time with out problems or start up issues after sitting. If you know the fuel is reasonably fresh , I would run the generator with a heavy load for eight hours non stop at max or close to max load, your AC cycles on and off and will probably not use all that much power, a couple of small electric heaters  set on high can suck up the amps fast and can be placed outside the coach and run all day at high power usage, look at the label on the heater for amps/wattage usage, borrow more heaters and add up the total wattage to be at or just under max continuous output of generator. This procedure will help clean out the cylinder heads and seat the piston rings is this is a low time unit. I would suggest you check your air intake /filter for any restrictions but I am assuming the service guys covered the obvious, restricted air intakes make diesels run smelly and smokey. Want to test your engine on a regular basis , start it up and shut it down in no more then 30 seconds, everything that happens in running a engine for hours happens in the first few seconds it runs, no heat , no condensation. JMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katjarner
Back
Top Bottom