Need 5th Wheel towing lessons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stewie Griffin said:
I agree with this post 100%, sometimes a spotter is a hinderance but when backing into a campspot that is unfamiliar you should use a spotter if one is available.

Let me ask you guys something, do your wives (when spotting) stand way far away from the RV when you are backing?  Jeeeez, my wife must think the RV is going to learch out at her or something, she's still in training, this is all new to her but she's getting better, i think I need to let her back it up (in an open parking lot) sometime so she sees what it's like, your spotter MUST stay in your mirrors. Not picking on the ladies, there are plenty that know there stuff and there are plenty of guys that are inexperienced too, spotting is not easy for someone who doesn't know what to do or where to stand.

My wife makes up her own hand signals but it doesn't matter she has a knack for standing where I cannot see her anyway..  :)  I normally don't need a spotter either but sometimes I do ask her how far I can go and boy do I get some interesting gestures. 

Here is a nice page with simple hand signals and instructions on how to use them.  It's described as for motorhomes but would apply to trailers as well.

I know it's getting things a little OT, but I wanted to mention about the spotters.  I think a spotter is essential no matter the situation.  It is NEVER a bad thing, even if you don't follow their directions.  Yes that sounds strange, but although YOU may not need the spotter to backup, they can see things and people you can't.  It's more about the safety of others than you needing help to fit in a tight space. 

On of the military bases I worked on, the policy was that if you were caught backing up a vehicle AND you had a passenger in the seat you lost your license.  No matter what, your passenger was to be outside watching.  The highest number of accidents both property and person damage were due to unsafe backing.  There was also a policy to ensure all parked vehicles were backed in.  Trust me, if you don't do it now, try it for a few weeks.  Park at a shopping mall with your truck both ways and you clearly see why.  You're pivoting at the right end of the vehicle, and you can see people and other cars while you are PULLING out...when it's much more important.

Just cause you're too proud or macho...it's not an excuse.

In my limited towing experiences, I've towed a utility trailer, a tent trailer and now a travel trailer.

Not sure what you were towing before, but I hate backing up with the utility trailer and LOVE backing up with my travel trailer!

The longer wheelbases turn more gradually and despite the fact the 5er might turn tighter than a TT, you'll soon see that it's not anywhere as bad as trying to put a utility trailer in the garage!

Mike

I agree taxman, the most difficult trailers I have ever had to back were the really short ones.  Backing a sea do trailer down a boat launch when you can't see the trailer can be trying, by the time you see it you can't correct it's path, then there's the wood chipper, backing one of those heavy things through the woods is very difficult.  It's extremely short and when one of the wheels hits a tree stump it can knock it offline, plus it has a pinlte hitch....BRILLIANT!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom