Need a hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
camperAL said:
Hi SeilerBird and all,

I must be like the guy that had or has a elaborate observatory. At one time I had the largest observatory facility in northern Indiana. Along with that, a darkroom for processing the plates or film I took. Use to hyper my film to get better results and prevent reciprocity failure. That might sound impressive but due to sky conditions in Indiana skies, your pretty much limited to a certain size scope. Too many cloudy days and less than perfect atmosphere. Still my observatory and telescope were pretty big for an amateur of that time. My scope weighs 450 lbs.

I've had possibly four thousand people or more visit the set up including school groups, boy scouts, girl scouts, church groups, colleges and many amateur astronomy groups. Also help build a larger observatory (three times the area) than my own later on.

Astronomy is an interesting hobby and these days, some amateur astronomers are providing as good of data as the pros and serious scientists. Digital photography has helped and there are all kinds of instruments that amateurs have that compete with
the pros. There is always something going on up in the skies. Many amateurs build their own telescopes (like the dobsonian) or other pieces of equipment.
Astronomy is one field where the amateurs get as much recognition as the experts.

@BT - Yeah I've done a ton of hobbies, scuba, tennis, water, snow and jet ski, skydiving, flying power and glider, sailboats, power boats. I've been a wrench all my life and upon returning to Ohio restoring and maintaining MGs was my go to thing. Still have 2. Still have the bike but cross country riding is now out for me because people don't know how to drive and I had a close call last year and had to lay the bike down. Now I tow it and use it for local sightseeing.

The MGs were taken on when my kid was in last year of HS. I thought it would be cool to take on a project he and I could do together and pass on some mechanickin' skills.  He didn't take to it and aside from helping me bleed brakes and clutches pretty much stayed away.  He sure liked to drive it thought - LOL...

Project MGs are really cheap and a lot of fun. I did the car show circuits every summer but covid killed that hence all my new hobbies last year. The car club still does drives but by nature the car guys are all old farts and social distancing is pretty important so club meetings are virtual.

I hope you find something.  I only have a couple things left on the bucket list and that's liveaboard again in the Caribbean this time and hole up in Cartagena during hurricane season.  I also plan to get my SCCA sports car license so I can do track days in the MG and scare the pants off myself. We also plan to put a lot of miles on the RV as soon as lock down is over and see the rest of the USA that we wanna see.

Quilting is gonna be a one time deal for me to save the t-shirts but I will keep your wife's offer in mind.

Ex-Calif said:
As a guy I mark moments in life by the t-shirts I have bought.  I have a big box stuffed with t-shirts going back to the 70's. I am about to retire and go minimalist in the RV and I have been noodling what to do with the t-shirts.  Then it struck me. Make a quilt!

I haven't started yet but the plan is to cut all the logos out into squares and then sew all the squares into the top of the quilt. Then I will get a regular cotton bottom sheet, lay in the batting and sew the t-shirt top on. The t-shirt material is obviously stretchie but I figure that a cotton flat sheet for the bottom side will take care of that.

My wife and I met in marching band (drumline) in college, and had a ton of T-shirts from that era of our lives. She unearthed them from storage boxes (unknown to me at the time) and made a T-shirt quilt for Christmas... with help from a sewing friend. It's a low cost, but high time, effort... but the results are AWESOME. Brings back such great memories by remembering stories behind all the shirts, and it's a really comfortable blanket!

Seems to me a hobby has to be something YOU find interesting, not what suits the whims of others.  If you enjoy building or fixing things, a hobby that crafts something can be fun, anything from knitting to model airplanes.  If you lean towards arts or culture, language and music are more enticing fields. Or maybe just reading or listening to books on subjects of interest to you. Or join a blog site like this one and chat about topics of interest or help others with their problems. Does money & finance intrigue you? How about joining an investment club and playing in the markets. It doesn't have to be your life savings - just a hundred or two to play with as a hobby. Do you ever look at the coins in your pocket and notice differences? Maybe coin collecting is for you. Or old tools or knives. There are a zillion tings you could collect, even if just by photos.

Bayou Talker said:
This weather has me bored and looking for something to do indoors. We live in our RV full-time so space is an issue. I've tried a few hobbies through the years but none have stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

How about Ham radio?
RichH

About a year ago I got into 3D puzzle cubes. (Rubik?s cube) Good for mind and dexterity. It?s inexpensive and takes up little space.

Model Railroading can be fun and as cheap or expensive as you make it.  Simple oval track in N scale will fit on the dining room table.  I have a larger oval mounted on a 2 ft x 4 ft board.

HO is the most popular scale and a 4 ft diameter circle is about the minimum for most rolling stock.  It is 1:84 scale.
N scale is what I have.  A 2 ft diameter circle will handle most rolling stock.  It is 1:168 scale.
Z scale is even smaller.  1 ft diameter circles will handle most rolling stock.  It is  1:180 scale if I remember correctly.

For inside a camper, HO would be a bit big, and S, O or G scale are completely out of the question.

Incidentally, SCALE refers to the size, like 1:168.
GAUGE refers to the distance between the rails.  They are not always the same?!

You're close, Grashley, but HO is 1:87, the gauge (distance between rails) being 16.5 mm; N which is 1:160, the gauge being 9mm; and Z is 1:220 with 6.5mm between the rails. Of course there are a number of other, larger scales, S, O, G, etc.) and a smaller scale too, T, which is 1:480 or 3mm between the rails. Of course there is also (for example) HOn3, which models the real life narrow gauge RR such as the Durango & Silverton and is also 1:87 but the gauge is 10.5mm.

N and Z could be really good for use in an RV.

Gizmo100 said:
I know the feeling...I play guitar with a small group and we are on hiatus until this covid19 stuff gets under control. I still play/sing at home. But it's just not the same.

Right now I using the extra time to learn some new stuff.

I also play along with recorded music...As an example....I love Allison Krauss, But I can't sing most of her music...So I just play along and let her do the hard part..

I also walk at least 3 miles a day to keep the weight off..Since you are wanting to stay inside you could come up with your own workout.

Have you heard of JamKazaam?  It's an online jam space that uses some kind of voodoo to make it a latency-free experience.  It's so cool!  My buddy and I have been playing together on it, and it works amazingly well.  Way better than we expected - it's like he's in the next room. 

It's free to use.  You just need an audio interface for your PC.  I got a nice two channel (one for guitar, one for vocal mic) for around $100. 

Better read up about JamKazaam.  I was interested until I read that it doesn't work over WiFi.  If that's the case I'll bet it isn't going to work over cellular either.

Start or join a Facebook group for something you're interested in, and become a moderator?

If you don't already, maybe read up to understand Cryptocurrency and make an inconsequential investment to see where it takes you?

Volunteering is a good one...sky is the limit there...and it gets you out of the RV for a while.

Watch a series on something you like. For example, we were rained out on our last RV trip, so I spent most of Saturday in the RV streaming Vice Grip Garage from Youtube. I don't relax like that often, I'm not really a sit-around kinda guy, but it was OK for a rainy Saturday.

I think meetup (dot com) is still a thing. They do all sorts of meets for anything/everything you can imagine. Your wife might enjoy it too - surely she could find others to knit with locally if she hasn't already.

8Muddypaws said:
Better read up about JamKazaam.  I was interested until I read that it doesn't work over WiFi.  If that's the case I'll bet it isn't going to work over cellular either.

I was also interested. But the folks I jam with have trouble with email... I don't think they will figure out the needed interface.

Indoors, something to keep your hands and mind active, not take up much room?

I can suggest the following...

Crochet amigurami toys for the grandkids if young, or for charity.  Crochet is pretty easy and lots of YouTube videos.  I did some Star Wars characters which was fun.

Knitting same as above, could do beanie hats or scarves etc.

Drawing / painting

Clay modelling with air dry clay  - whatever you make won't last too long but it's something to do, again there will be plenty of videos online.

Research your family ancestry and draw up a family tree.

Write a book about your life experiences, and/or those of your kids that they might find interesting and enjoyable. Do it in a book and add photos or drawings. I know I wish I knew more about my parents and even my life as a child. You could make a photo book online add in the text and give as gifts.

Might sound morbid but write up things you'd like for your funeral.

Solitaire of other card games.

In my years in the retail hobby and craft business I met a lot of people who were "looking for a hobby" to fill a void. Some were successful, others were not. The difference was attitude. The activity didn't seem to matter a lot.
Those who were unsuccessful seemed to be looking for something familiar, something "new" that they could be good at right out of the box, something that gave them the same type of gratification as something they'd mastered but couldn't participate in any more for whatever reason.
The successful ones were looking for an entirely new experience. They approached hobbies with a sense of curiosity, as an exploration. They looked forward to the learning process, embracing the fact that they'd be a rank beginner at first and that the rewards would come from being surprised by the unforeseen things they'd learn along the way.

My wife is a quilter .... Anyone need a quilt? ... (We have 50 or so, and enough fabric to make 100s more).
https://www.alicecaroline.com/wp-content/uploads/Bridgette-Thorns-4-quilts-landscape_blog-scaled.jpg

mel s said:
My wife is a quilter .... Anyone need a quilt? ... (We have 50 or so, and enough fabric to make 100s more).
https://www.alicecaroline.com/wp-content/uploads/Bridgette-Thorns-4-quilts-landscape_blog-scaled.jpg

That's a lotta quilts!!  :eek:  ;)

jackiemac said:
Indoors, something to keep your hands and mind active

Research your family ancestry and draw up a family tree.

Write a book about your life experiences,

I was reading this thread, and , yep, Jackie,  I was thinking the same thing.

Not much you can do in a camper on rainy days.  Maybe your wife wouldn't mind if you cleaned the bathroom and kitchen and stuff like that.  That should keep ya busy.

jackiemac said:
I forgot to add cooking!  Try some different recipes...

Woo Hoo!  if he cooks and then cleans,  There won't be any time to have a special hobby on rainy days or any other day! :D

Back
Top Bottom