Need a Pep Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kings Ransom

Okay, I am about over the whole RV thing now. After having our brand new TT in the shop for 8 weeks before we even got to use it, then missing our first weekend (last weekend) because the TT wasn't done, then being delayed 3 more days by severe thunderstorms, we were heading out today to take it to CO.

We got 50 miles from home and a belt broke on the truck. $450 later, the truck is fixed, but we've lost our window in the damnable weather to get out there. Severe storms kicking up again tonight and predicted as far out as they can forecast.

The month of June is shot in terms of time to drive out. We had hoped we would set up this weekend and be able to get out twice in June just driving the Jeep.

I don't see us getting out to CO now until sometime in July.

As I sit in the waiting room at the service department, I just want to cry. I have been looking forward to this for so long, and tried to be so patient -- telling myself that there's plenty of time, things will work out, don't stress, you can still enjoy lots of time in the mountains. Now -- just like that -- it's evaporated.

And yes, we had the truck gone over with a fine toothed comb by a trusted mechanic. It's just one of those things.

I know that this, too, shall pass. But I sure am disappointed.

I feel your pain.

In preparation for the Yellowstone rally, took my motorhome to the shop for some misc. work, including lubing the chassis.

When I picked it up, the tech said," Oh, by the way...you have one broken rear shock mount and the other side has broken rivets. We don't do that work here." None of the local RV or truck shops wanted the work, so I made arrangements to take it to Brazel's. On the drive down, the brakes went out...and cost nearly $4000...plus, the shocks were marginal at best....so that was another $700...

However...after it was all said and done...it drives and handles VERY well...and is MUCH nicer to drive than it's ever been.

Wish I could make the disappointment go away. Rv dealer service is legendary for lengthy delays and shoddy quality. And new house on wheels has a fairly high probability of some issues in the first year. Plus your truck let you down as well, just more bad luck.  It will get better, but the pain is real and intense.

If it makes you feel better, we drove over 100,000 miles, coast to coast at least three times, and suffered the usual disappointments and delays over the 16 years we were full-timers.  Due to age and infirmity (haha -- I think!) we finally hung up our keys a few years ago.  We would do it all over again in a minute if we could.  Hang in there.  It WILL get better and will probably be all you wished and hoped for.  You will get lots of support here on the RV Forum from those of us who have been there and done that!  ;D

For what it's worth, Coach-Net was great getting a wrecker out to tow us. And everyone at the Ford dealership was sooo nice to us, and to our dog!

We had to wait a long time for the work to be done, with our 8-month-old German Shepherd in tow. She was really good but still a puppy and rambunctious. Everyone there loved dogs, brought us doggie treats, sat down and played with her. They were super.

So, there's that. <<smiles weakly>>

A gem of wisdom from my dear mother:

What is the most frequently used 5 word passage in the Bible?

AND IT CAME TO PASS

Thank God it did not come to STAY !!

Some of my fondest memories and greatest stories in my 40+ years of camping, is remembering the people and experiences I had, while broke down. Just another knotch in the belt.

Thanks for this post, KingsRansom!  I too am in need of a pep talk, as our new to us Class A w/ only 5500 miles on it is in the shop now for almost a month with a slide out issue.  We have been out only a few times and are looking forward to several length trips.  The replies that others have made are definitely helping!  Hope you get more!!
Best wishes for your return to the road quickly and safely!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom