Need a safe but cheap scooter carrier, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craft99

I have a 95 Fleetwood Flair with a spare tire attached to the back.  I need to transport my scooter (it's 450 pounds) and I can't afford to pay much to do it.

Safety is first.  I am a single female and need something that I can rig on my own.  My biggest fear is that the scooter will fall while I'm driving.  I do not want to endanger anyone else.  I will get rid of the scooter before I risk hurting anyone else.

The prices I've seen range from $80. to $4,000.  I'm in the $300 range.

I bought a metal carrier that has a 500 lb capacity, and it fits, but barely.  I cannot load and lock the scooter in place by myself. 

Lowes sells a trailer that most landscapers seem to use.  It is bigger than the one I bought, but also costs about $700.

Any ideas?  Safety first.  Money is second.  I realize at my price range I will have to do some work to secure the scooter and won't have one of those electric lifts, but will need a moveable ramp.  I'm not mechanically inclined, but by owning this RV, I'm learning.

I would love to buy one used, but have no idea where to look.  Like I said, I'm in the $300 range, but this is not a place to take a risk by saving some money.  The thing I rigged costs $150 total including installation, and if there were 2 people it would work, but I need something idiot proof and something I can do alone.

Any advice is appreciated.

Wife's scooter tips the scales at 250 pounds, cost about a buck a pound too. (well 300)
alas, no longer imported.  But I use the metal carrier from harbor freight.

Now. the problem is.. don't fit (Wheel base wider than carrier is deep) so I added 2.5 inches (2x3) to the back side, fits now. 

I can lift it.

In your case, I'd add a bit more to the depth, and pick up a set of ramps. Like the ramps used to load a riding lawn mower or motorcycle onto a pick up truck.  The additional depth is to hold the ramps alongside the scooter..

Problem however is ou are very close to the 500 pound rating of the carrier.

Craft99 -

Are you talking about a personal scooter (4 wheels and a chair) or a motorcycle style scooter for local transportation away from the motorhome?  Makes a difference in talking about possible carriers.

Back
Top Bottom