Need a single tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonyshell

Had a lovely long weekend capped off by a blown tire on the way home.  Everyone is safe, fortunately i had checked and filled the spare before we left.  How important to have matching tires on both axles or at least on the same axle?  The spare has full tread, the others are all about half.  Next spring i'm going to get four new ones before out trip to Canada for a Rally. Still have two trips this year planned and dont want to be without a spare.  Buy a new matching one, swap with the old tire and have two full tread tires on the same axle? 

Also ideas where to look for the replacement piece over the wheels?  It got taken out by the tire and going back to the dealer i purchased it from is my last resort.  I'll pay more to avoid those crooks.

It will likely increase wear rate, though given the number of miles the typical rv does in a year I would not worry too much about it.

How important is it to have same age tires

On the drive axle ... Important as different age tires will wear internal parts
on the steering axle. important as it affects handling

On the rear of a front wheel drive.. not important in my opinion.

On duals..  Well they should match.

tonyshell said:
Had a lovely long weekend capped off by a blown tire on the way home.  Everyone is safe, fortunately i had checked and filled the spare before we left.  How important to have matching tires on both axles or at least on the same axle?  The spare has full tread, the others are all about half.  Next spring i'm going to get four new ones before out trip to Canada for a Rally. Still have two trips this year planned and dont want to be without a spare.  Buy a new matching one, swap with the old tire and have two full tread tires on the same axle? 

You're OK as long as the replacement tire(s) are the same nominal size.  You can run the old tires until they wear out or age out, then replace with new ones and still be OK mixing the remaining old tires with the new ones. 

Where size matching is critical is on dually tires, where two tires are locked together and travel at the same rotational speed.  Here size differences as small as 1/4" between dual tires can make them travel different lengths per rotation so they skid along the road, causing excess wear and tire failure.

This is another case of an ideal world vs the practical.  Ideally, the tires on the same axle should be exactly the same diameter.  In practice, though, tire engineers agree that a 1/2" difference in diameter is of no real significance.  That's a 1/4" of treadwear all the way around, roughly equivalent to 50%-60% of the tires usable life.  So the short answer is, "No Problem".
If the unequal tires are paired on a dual wheel, the larger one will wear faster than the more worn one and the difference is self-correcting.

Leaning towards a replacement of the same brand size etc on the same axle and then replace all four next spring.  Forgot to mention, travel trailer, dual axles, single tire, non driven.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_151812~2_resize_12.jpg
    IMG_20190902_151812~2_resize_12.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 23
tonyshell said:
Leaning towards a replacement of the same brand size etc on the same axle and then replace all four next spring.  Forgot to mention, travel trailer, dual axles, single tire, non driven.

Any idea how old that tire was?

3016 date code.  30th week of 2016

I'm thinking i hit a pothole pulling out of place where we stopped for lunch or hit something in the construction zone we had just gone through.

tonyshell said:
3016 date code.  30th week of 2016

I'm thinking i hit a pothole pulling out of place where we stopped for lunch or hit something in the construction zone we had just gone through.

You've still got plenty of miles left on those remaining tires. I wouldn't replace them for 4 years or so.  I would just buy a new tire and use it as a spare. Run your spare on the axles.

I would also look into buying a TPMS system. Tire, pressure Monitoring System. It's kinda late now but it may have given you a little time to pull over before the tire exploded and damage your trailer.  Looking at your damage, I think you were lucky this time.

The skirt that come closest in measurements (assuming mine are off just a bit) looks correct but isn't available in black.  I emailed them to see if they have a solution.  May have to purchase in white and paint.  :-\

Tires were Trailer King ST Radials

I would want better tires, Trailer King is just another cheap Chinese brand.  What size and load range is on the trailer?

I'm not aware of any that aren't Chinese anymore. Chinese can make a good product but you pay for it just as if a domestic.

tonyshell said:

Also ideas where to look for the replacement piece over the wheels?  It got taken out by the tire and going back to the dealer i purchased it from is my last resort.  I'll pay more to avoid those crooks.

There is a high probability the other tire on the same side will fail. IMO two new tires are needed and you can make the one suspected to be damaged the spare. At the minimum, the suspected tire should be removed from the wheel and examined by a trusted tire retailer.

In trailers your size the spare is often the same size but bias ply and only provided as a spare. Bias ply and Radials are not supposed to be run on the same axle for extended periods of time.

Nice. Happily pay more for an American product. New development. Last time I bought tires they were all imported

If it were me, I'd buy whatever brand you plan on replacing the rest of the set with as the spare now.
Goodyear Endurance  and Carlisle Radial Trail HD seen to be the better tires available.
I currently am running the Carlisle tires myself and like them.

I would also recommend upgrading from load C to D  for some extra load carrying capacity and more of a safety margin at load.
My 24' trailer came with load C and the Carlisle tires I installed are load D.

I don't understand why everyone is telling the OP to get all new tires. These tires are 3 years old. The OP said they ran into a pot hole and drove through a construction zone. They could have very easily picked up a nail or something cut that tire. Then not knowing it was flat, rode it until it tore apart damaging the trailer. I don't feel they need to replace the other tires at this time. Now maybe it would be a good idea before they go on the long trip next year but why now.
I would just put the spare on, buy a new tire and put it on the spare wheel. Then buy 4 new tires next spring or later

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom