Need advice on a 2010 Forest River Sunseeker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veerman

Hi. My husband (Veerman = football coach) and I have been looking at motorhomes for several years now.  We are finally to the point that we are willing to take the plunge. We wanted one when our oldest son played college football, but couldn't afford it at the time.  Now, our younger son is running track in college.  We know how much fun tailgating can be, so with college games in the fall and track season in the spring and a couple of week-long trips, we think we will be able to get our money's worth out of it. 

With that said, we have looked at rental units, but we found that they were just not in good shape at all for the mileage they had on them.  We would love to find a Winnebago (30 foot), but we haven't found one yet despite hours of searching on the internet (RV Trader, Ebay, Craig's List, and various dealers). We liked the 26P, but could never reconcile having only a dinette and no sofa

My husband likes the "feel" of driving a Class C. I'm okay with it, but I do like the fact that the Class A has more water storage and the front seats turn around.  We both realize we will have to give something up....... We have found a new Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS, and we like a lot about it.

We were wondering if anyone had an opinion on how the Sunseeker holds up. We've not seen a used one on a lot yet.  One thing we've noticed is that some lines show their age pretty quickly.  We are looking to spend around 50,000, but this Sunseeker is 62,000.  Depending on the interest rate we get, we could do that one.  Would we be making a mistake buying a new one? Any advice you could give us is much appreciated. 

Oh, and we've learned so much reading these boards. Thanks!
Jim and Teresa
Georgia

Welcome to RV Forum, Jim & Teresa.  RV shopping is fun, even though the multitude of choices can be daunting.

The Class C is more car-like and so less intimidating to a newcomer, but the A is actually easier to drive as well as being more capable.  The learning curve to get used to the driving position in an A is short - probaly a day or two for most people. The rest of the difference is height, length and tail overhang, which is the about same in either case.

Hi Jim and Teresa,

I am only a little bit further along in the process than you are, now. The only thing I can offer is to say that my wife and I just purchased a Forest River Sun Seeker 3100SS. We bought it after some reseach of our options in our area and decided on it for similar reasons that you are considering it. So, am hoping all the experts here tell you what a good decision it would be to buy a Forest River Sun Seeker. ;D

Most posters here will extol the virtues of Class A's over C's and, most certainly have their own reasons for doing so.  I am not one of them (he said, pushing buttons).  I purchased a new Class C in 2006 which was at a price I could (wanted to) afford.  The choice was new Class C - with all the warranties and newness that goes along with it, an older unit but a lot less money or an older Class A, for the same price but,  perhaps,  with more 'upscale' amenities but potential downside repair work.    I liked the idea of having new but was also aware of the significant depreciation as soon as it's driven off the lot.  Expect a 30% depreciation over the first two years if traded in to a dealer  (considerably less when buying used considering the initial lower outlay).  The overriding issue for me was having sufficient sleeping arrangements without having to pull the couch out in the living room to accommodate guests - in my case primarily kids and grandkids.  Some of the Class A's have additional bunk-beds but for the most part they were outside my price range or too old for my comfort zone.      Class C's - with a slide-out or two will give just as much floorspace as the same length Class A  - 30' is 30' whether the length of an A or C.    I  personally 'use' the front seating(driver/passenger) area which most Class A proponents will argue that this is 'additional' living space over a C.    A Class A may give the appearance of having more functional living space  but, in reality they (generally) can not hold a candle to the sleeping options typically found in a Class C - There are exceptions - life wouldn't be much fun without them...

The Sunseeker model looks to be a very functional rig for your purpose and reasonable priced.  It doesn't seem to me that storeage space will be an issue.  You will get the same or similar features in more expensive rigs - both A and C.  The double slides will make a huge difference to the 'feel' of space and openness.  I guarantee you will have guests wanting 'first dibs' on the overhead bunk.  Offer what you are willing to spend and be prepared to walk away if it's declined.    Good luck with your decision.      Now the stones...

bt

No reason for anyone to throw stones at you BT. You make a good case for Class C over Class A, and I suspect that a number of Class A proponents, such as ourselves, usually travel without kids. When our youngest grandkids want to come with us at the same time, we might have to rethink our choice.

I'm one of the big Class A proponents but do not disagree that Class C's  in general have more/better floor plans to accommodate the needs of families with children. A's with family-oriented floor plans are a rather recent thing on the market - a few years back it was hard to find one designed for regular use by more than two people.

Granted I'm still soaked behind the ears but I noticed the C's seemed to have more accomdations, or set up better at least for the uses I would do. My daughter likes the idea of the overhead bunk offered on the C where as if we were to buy an A she would have to sleep on the sofa or dinette

Welcome to the Forum!

Not all Class Cs have sleeping quarters in the overhead.  Many models use that space for an entertainment center or enclosed storage.

I was looking at older motorhomes whose floorplan and construction I could favorably compare to my Arctic Fox travel trailer.  Only one really would do, the Winnebago Minnie Winnie 29' with a living and a bedroom slide.  It really had an optimal layout over so many other models.  I found one in Albuquerque for $34k, but decided I didn't really have the money to spend on it.  It did not have an overhead bunk, but built-in storage.  That works for me.

You can get somewhat comparable new class Cs and the newer B+ RVs that are very nice, but prepare for sticker shock as they can be over $100k!  Also, be on the lookout for excessive rear end hangover behind the rear axle.  Some of these Cs are put on stretched frames.  All that extra length behind the axle can swing around with a life of its own, knocking over hedges, lamp posts, and gas pumps.  I have a friend who has done all of that with his C.  ;D

I agree with Buddy.  If you are going to really take it in the shorts for depreciation on a brand new RV, make sure it is the one you really want and will work for you!  ;D

We have heard about the overhang problem.  So, how long is too long? What questions should we ask? Thanks for all of your comments.

If you by new,don't buy the extended warranty,Forest River comes with the same warranty.You can buy one later if you wish.That will save you a lot of money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iec-telecom
Back
Top Bottom