need advice on toad vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taiwin

i have a 2010 class C ( E 450 V 10), toad vehicle is a 2007 Honda Civic sedan.  I'm assuming my rv should have enough power to pull the toad. The honda manual says not to tow for more than 50 miles and not to exceed 35 mph if towing on all four. Does this mean I can't use the honda as a toad? Anyone here with the same setup can say otherwise? I also cruise around 65 mph with the rv can I do that safely with the toad attach as well? thanks

if that's what the car manual states then you need to follow those rules otherwise you will probably drop a trans somewhere on your way

Power isn't a issue since the same V10 is used on much larger RV's

I would look for another toad, something that can safely be towed that way & yea traveling at 65 mph + isn't a issue

taiwin said:
i have a 2010 class C ( E 450 V 10), toad vehicle is a 2007 Honda Civic sedan.  I'm assuming my rv should have enough power to pull the toad.

Also...make sure your hitch rating and the GCWR are adequate for the weight of your toad.

As far as finding a vehicle is concerned, this site should help : http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

Just punch in any vehicles you're interested in and it'll tell you whether you need any special equipment or not.  The final say should always be the owner's manual of the said vehicle, though. 

I believe your Honda manual also says something about Honda not testing at higher speeds, therefore that is their recommendation. The manual normally also tells you to start the engine and idle while moving the transmission through the forward gears, stopping in neutral, then idle for two minutes, and turn the key off to the position where the steering wheel is NOT locked, and you are good to go for 8 hours. If you need to continue towing after that 8 hour period, simpley repeat the procedure. The remcotowing.com site will have good information. I have nearly 50k towing miles on my 2000 Odyssey. Honda removed towing certification from most of their vehicles around 2005 or so, but thousands of newer ones are being towed.

The Honda Civic is front wheel drive, right?  Get a car dolly, and go have fun.  Put a pencil to it and it should be cheaper than trading for a different vehicle.

with the car dolly, can u go as fast as you would without one?
No reason why not -- you DO have to figure the tongue weight AND weight of the dolly into your tow capacities. The combo of my Odyssey and a dolly would exceed the rated capacity of many Class C's. 'Course, the Civic would be lighter than the Odyssey...

If you go with a dolly, keep in mind it can be a pain in the gazatch when stopping for an overnite stay unless you can get a pull-thru and a big pain as well to find a place to park the dolly while camped.

Follow diehard's advice & go to remcotowing.com & check out what they have to say about towing your Civic.  I think you will find that Remco says there are no known problems with flat towing a Civic.  I tow a 2004 CRV & the procedure I follow (per the manual) is to start the car, shift from Park to Drive, then shift from Drive to Neutral & shut off the engine.  I think you would follow the same procedure with your Civic.  I would avoid the tow dolly if possible due to the reasons already mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom