Need advice on what to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanJ

I am saving up for a larger home. I currently live in a 16 foot 1976 travel trailer, which has worked out pretty well for the past several months, but it doesn't have much room. My goal is to save up about $2500 to buy the next one. I realize this is not much money, but it's what I can afford. I want something with a little more kitchen space, and a bathroom. My current trailer has no bathroom, which is the biggest reason to upgrade.

I have a couple choices to weigh, which I need some insight on. I can buy a 5th wheel, a travel trailer, or a class B or C motorhome. Looking at the ads on Craig's List, I'm still going to be getting something that was built in the '70s or '80s. It's still going to be a couple months before I have the money together, so I don't have specific vehicles in mind yet, but I need advice on what I should get.

I do not have a truck of my own, so if I get a 5th wheel or travel trailer, I will have to find someone to help me move every time I need to move. This also raises the question of how do I empty the blackwater tank? My current camper has no bathroom, so I haven't dealt with this before. The 5th wheel or travel trailer option has the advantage of not having a motor that can break down, but the disadvantage of being immobile unless I can find help. Based on the ads I've seen so far, I'd get more space for the money buying a 5th wheel or travel trailer.

I really really prefer the idea of buying a class B or C motorhome so I can drive myself around when I need to move. However, my budget dictates that I will be buying an older one, which I suspect means it will be much less reliable. I have no mechanical knowledge, so I cannot fix it myself. (I'd love to learn, but I don't know where to start!) This option has the advantage of being able to move any time I please, including going to empty the blackwater tank, but the disadvantage of possible expensive repairs.

Does anyone have advice for me? What usually goes wrong with the types of RVs I've mentioned? How expensive are repairs? Also, any tips on what to look for or watch out for when buying would be appreciated, although I will be doing a search for that in a moment. :)

A $2500 motor home could very easily be mechanically pretty expensive.  And if something is wrong it could leave you stranded where you are.  It could be real costly to fix.  Maybe much more than the unit is worth. Where are you parked?  Is there no sewer hookup available?  The easiest solution seems to be a campground that has hookups and then  have your new trailer hauled there when you buy it.  As part of the deal.  Then you are set with hookups and could stay for a length of time, by paying a campground fee.

I agree with COMer - a motorized RV in that price range is at best a "handyman special" and at worst an absolute money pit. Very poor choice for someone who cannot do-it-yourself. Stick with a trailer, and get yourself into a long term RV park that has sewer hook-ups. It will cost a bit more, but is cheaper than paying for motorhome repairs or paying someone to move yo around.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I can find an RV park where I want to be, but I'll be looking around.

There's probably a much larger story underlying the original post and the implication is that you don't have a vehicle that can tow.  Does it make any sense to rent a low cost place with a bath/etc until you can save up enough to go in the direction you might really want to go?  I don't know but that's the reaction I'm having to the post...

That would be ideal, and I'm looking at that as an option as well. I'm having a terrible time finding any place to live that's a reasonable price. Right now, I can't even find a new parking spot. I live in a very expensive part of the country at the moment, and I can't afford to leave at this point.

I wish you the best.  Let everyone who even "might" be able to help out or give you leads know what you are looking to find, the network of people around you comes through more often than not.  I predict you're going to catch a nice break soon.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just spoke to a friend who is sure she can find me a cheap apartment, which would definitely be a better situation. I still have my doubts about how cheap it will be, but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

Another suggestion, if you have any colleges nearby, is to physically to go down and have a look at their bulletin boards. Sometimes you can find rooms to rent, or smaller apartments that are pretty reasonable.

Older trailers can be problematic as well (leaks, etc.), but if you had to go that route, definitely stay away from anything motorized. If you need someone to move you, perhaps you could contact a local dealer and see if any of the people that work there (techs, sales people) would help you move when needed for a few bucks.

Another option if you go the trailer route is anyone into horses who trailers horses for a fee (like to horse shows, etc.). They also would have the equipment necessary to help you move from place to place as well.

I think you have options, and just follow your gut as to what feels best for you and your situation!

Back
Top Bottom