Need Advise Prior to 5th Wheel Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevem4134

Hello,

Need some advise.

Some background.
I am wanting to buy a 5th wheel around 30 to 33 feet long. My tow vehicle will be a 2011 F250 6.7 liter diesel. If I go by the payload capacity on my drivers pillar, I am limited to a trailer with a pin weight of 1500 lbs. The trailers I have been looking at have a max weight of 10,000 lbs. So I should be ok. I am planning on installing wireless side mounted cameras as well as a backup camera on the trailer near the clearance lights.

Now the question I need your advise on.
I am blind in my left eye. The only restriction on my license is that I must have exterior mirrors on both sides of the TV.  I have no problem backing up my truck using it?s backup camera and the mirrors. I plan to always tow with a passenger and spotter.

Is there anybody out there that is also blind in one eye and can provide me with some advise as to equipment needed or the technique needed to backup or maneuver the trailer?

First I am surprised your 3/4 ton diesel truck only has a payload capacity of 1,500 lbs. which is more typical for 1/2 ton trucks, so I would double check your payload capacity.  Second, if the max weight you are quoting is in fact the GVWR, that will translate to a pin weight of 2,000 to 2,500 pounds (pin weights typically run 20-25% of 5th wheel gross weight).  With those numbers you are not leaving much for passenger and cargo weight in the truck so you either need to consider a smaller 5th wheel or consider going up to a 1-ton truck.  To your question on mirrors, I cannot answer specifically to restrictions on blindness, but most states generally require extended or tow mirrors whilst towing a trailer any way.

Regarding blindness in one eye, I used to work with a truck driver that had lost his right eye in an accident. It was hell to renew his CDL every couple of years but he required no special driver assists on the truck. I would imagine that he had been doing it for so long that he had just adapted to it.

Friend of mine has a son who is blind in one. Dad had the son guide him back to hook up the fifth wheel and he missed it by a large margin. The son was unable to judge distances.

I think your camera will help immensely. 

Steve,  Thanks for asking!

It seems you have been doing your homework!  The door post payload is a great help!!!  The FW  GVWR helps, too!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like that 1500# payload is what is left after passengers, cargo, etc are subtracted. 

As Gizmo correctly stated, a 10,000# camper will have 20% - 25% pin weight, or 2000# - 2500#.

I am sure people who know no better pull that much and more every day.  They wear out their truck prematurely and pose serious safety hazards.  Please be smart and safe!

Gizmo,

The truck has a listed payload capacity of 2092. I have about 1500 left for the pin weight after passengers, full tank of gas, hitch weight and cargo. Actually I am looking for a trailer that weighs less then 9000 lbs. I believe that even if the pin weight went 300 lbs over what I have last I could let my wife ride in the trailer.

Arch Hoagland,

Yes, I do have some issues with depth perception but have been able to compensate. Heck, after a few missed shots at the hoop I can start putting the ball in with nothing but net.

Steve

The truck has a listed payload capacity of 2092. I have about 1500 left for the pin weight after passengers, full tank of gas, hitch weight and cargo. Actually I am looking for a trailer that weighs less then 9000 lbs. I believe that even if the pin weight went 300 lbs over what I have last I could let my wife ride in the trailer.

The rated payload for the truck already allows for a full tank of fuel and a 154 lb driver, so you only need to deduct for passengers, cargo and the hitch.

No, your wife can't ride in the trailer as a fallback plan. It's illegal in most states anyway, but it is also extremely uncomfortable and more than a little dangerous. Your marriage won't survive even 30 minute trailer ride. Find a trailer with a GVWR of 8000 lbs or less.

I am quite surprised at the payload for that truck. My truck (in sig) has a 3602 payload. Yes, 1 ton, but a gasser.

Try this website using your payload. http://towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate

I believe Payload includes the full tank of fuel, but does not include any drivers or passengers.  "the weight of passengers and cargo..."

The calculation of max tow weight does include the driver and also a passenger in 2015 and later.

Outdoor:  Remember the 1 ton version usually has a GVWR of 11,500#.  The ? ton has a 10,000# GVWR.  Almost all of that comes straight off of the Payload.

grashley said:
I believe Payload includes the full tank of fuel, but does not include any drivers or passengers.  "the weight of passengers and cargo..."

The calculation of max tow weight does include the driver and also a passenger in 2015 and later.

Outdoor:  Remember the 1 ton version usually has a GVWR of 11,500#.  The ? ton has a 10,000# GVWR.  Almost all of that comes straight off of the Payload.

As Gary stated payload does include a driver of 154 lbs.

According to my Owner Manual, page 241 (2013 Ford F350)
Payload ? is the combined weight of cargo and passengers that the vehicle is carrying.

The exact verbiage from the example Yellow Label in the manual is "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed..."

Payload / CCC includes a full tank of fuel, but it does NOT include any drivers or passengers.  I stand by my statement.

Note that the Max towing capacity is calculated differently, and DOES include a driver and one passenger.

Payload includes full tank of fuel DOESNOT include passengers ofany sort not does include driver of any weight thats an old measument that died in the seventies

steveblonde said:
does include driver of any weight thats an old measument that died in the seventies

This makes no sense, just as fuel is required to run the truck, a driver is required to operate it.  I can not see how a driver cannot be included, but I do understand how a drivers weight over a certain # is not included.

The best way is to just weigh the truck with the driver and figure available payload from that weight subtracted from the GVWR. Doing it that way doesn't leave anything to chance.

Gizmo,

This is a required number for the truck.  I suspect it is by federal definition.  Further, the number is bigger if the driver is not included, so manufacturers like it this way.

It does not have to make sense.  Your logic is correct.  When did logic enter into these specs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom