Need an advise, life changing decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mariali

Hi, I’m new here… I need an advise and thats what brought me here. I don’t know anyone that lives in a travel trailer or that has same thoughts I have. I am thinking of selling my house and move to a travel trailer. I am 40 yrs old, and this to me is a life changing decision and not sure if it’s a good idea. I always live in Dallas, and have zero knowledge of how a travel trailer function… can someone give me an advise or an idea of what living in a travel trailer is about… I do know that I need a peace of land to put the trailer…

A travel trailer is a poor choice for someone to live in stationary, given the Dallas climate. Trailers do not have a lot of insulation and do not do well in cold climates nor in extreme heat.

Look into Park Models, as they are designed for stationary living and not made to be moved very often.

Charles

Pay close attention to what Mark said above- it's a fact. And carefully read the link he provided.

My 2¢ worth: If you're looking to put the trailer on a piece of land, rather than traveling in it, you'd likely be better off with a park model. But whichever you get you'll need to figure out water, sewer, electric, etc. And zoning is another thing to check out for whichever piece of land you get since often the zoning codes don't allow an RV as a place to live.

Another major factor is living space. Even a large trailer probably isn't much more in total than one (maybe two) of the bedrooms in your house. Also, RVs are poorly insulated, even compared to a park model, and will require spending a lot on utilities -- air conditioning in Dallas is a must, and it takes a lot of propane for the heat in winter -- likely more than it costs in a house in the same area.

If you’re not going to travel, why not downsize to a tiny house?

While buying a travel trailer is much cheaper than a stix N brix house, the living expenses can be about the same, but for a much smaller area. Every reply you've received is good information. These guys have decades of experience to share.
While a trailers advertising may state "4-season", that has little to do with the temperature ranges that it can withstand before becoming uncomfortable or unusable. Winter in S. Florida is much different than winter in Dallas; Summer in Florida is much different than summer in Maine. Yet those are summer and winter seasons.
Selling an appreciating asset to just buy a deprecating asset is not good business strategy. Check out the tax angle with a tax lawyer..

Last edited:
The replies are all very good. Are you married have children? If so you very much need to take them into consideration. I sold our house and set up our very large RV in my brother in laws house he lives in the country. It will test any relationship 10 fold and we could occupy their house anytime. Rv living while traveling can be a great time but being stationary will get old fast. I suggest you check campgrounds to see if you can rent a unit for a couple weeks see if it will work for you.

Because they are poorly insulated, most "travel trailers" will have air conditioning that will only lower the inside temperature about 10-15 degrees on a really good day. So if it is 95 outside, it will still be 80 inside. The sun will heat up your trailer like a tin can, and you will not be comfortable.

Most of us who live in motorhomes or RVs travel to stay within comfortable temperatures--we head north when it is hot, and south when it is cold.

Also, most places have property code laws about what kind of a home you can put on private land. They will likely require you to have a septic system installed, electric and water service. You might be able to find a place way out in the desert or in the country, but even those places have rules about putting trailers on lots, so don't buy anything unless you have checked with local governments about regulations.

Now, if you are considering this change so you can travel constantly, that is a different story, but you will need a job that lets you work remotely, and that brings other problems.

I hesitated to respond because I didn't want to come across "negative." So I waited because those who posted above hit the nails right on the head!

If you are not an RVer, never owned an RV before, and never had any experience with an RV, adjusting from a stick-n-brick home to 4 wheels down "can" be a very difficult adjustment.

Most of us who have RV's morphed into this life style slowly. We started using our RV's as "hobbies" or at best, vacation get-aways. We still had the luxury of returning to our original stick-n-brick homes, read adjust our next planned "RV" outing, and plan, plan, plan. Some of us, it's taken years and years to adjust to the lifestyle. Just ask anyone on these forums how many different RV (including tents) they've owned over the course of their lives. Each new one was a result of changes in our lifestyles or a terrible dissatisfaction with the current RV (for whatever reason).

The point is, jumping from a stick-n-brick home and giving it up completely, to 4 wheels "down" is a horrible adjustment to encounter.

They say, the first year of marriage is the hardest because of the adjustments both have to go through, just learning each other and making concessions. How many end up divorced within the first year of marriage ..... way, way too many. Why, because "they" thought they knew all the answers, because they "thought" they could change the other person, because "they" were living in a dream bubble of what they "thought" marriage was all about. And they were completely wrong and bailed out within the first year.

Well, it's exactly the same thing with jumping from stick-n-brick to 4 wheels down! All you "thought" it was going to be are myths that get blown to pieces within hours after taking delivery of the camper. Within a year, far, far too many abandon the cause and get rid of their dream of living full time in an RV.

If you are absolutely serious about making this life style change, then you need at least a year to do it. Purchase the RV and use it as much as you can for 1 year. Camp in it, in your driveway. Camp in it every week-end. Camp in it through all 4 seasons of the year. Get to know the camper. Understand how it works before getting thrown into it with no recourse for escape with something goes horribly wrong and you don't know how to deal with it. When that happens you have a stick-n-brick home to retreat to until the RV problem is resolved, or you have time to figure out what when wrong and how to fix it the problem without being completely homeless.

It takes at least a year of trial and error in all 4 season.... WITH the safety net of your stick-n-brick to fall back on .... BEFORE giving up the stick-n-brick. IF after one year, you STILL have the passion.... they you are equipped and will most likely, be successful AND happy every after!

That's my strongest suggestion. RVing is expensive. RV's are problems to maintain. RV's are not built like stick-n-brick homes. RV have special problems in all 4 seasons of the year. RV's do not fall under normal housing rules. RV's need to be insured. RV's need to have license plates and insurance. RV's may need to have safety inspections depending on what state you live in. RV's portable, made to move, made to travel. Sitting in one spot long term will result in other issues. Bailing out of the RV lifestyle can be challenging also. RV's loose equity, and RV's fall apart easily, require constant maintenance, and can become total junk within a few months if not fixed and repaired immediately. Be prepared to have deep financial pockets.

I know, lots and lots of "negatives". But if you are serious, give yourself that learning curve, there is no reason why cannot be successful, happy, and excited about the lifestyle, a year from now, and even 10 or 20 years from now!

But, if you don't allow yourself that learning curve, you'll be horribly disappointed and disillusioned and burned out within a very short while after you take possession of the RV.

A travel trailer is a poor choice for someone to live in stationary, given the Dallas climate. Trailers do not have a lot of insulation and do not do well in cold climates nor in extreme heat.

Look into Park Models, as they are designed for stationary living and not made to be moved very often.

Charles
Thank you

Charles
I am looking in to Park Models, not planning to move often… thanks

Pay close attention to what Mark said above- it's a fact. And carefully read the link he provided.

My 2¢ worth: If you're looking to put the trailer on a piece of land, rather than traveling in it, you'd likely be better off with a park model. But whichever you get you'll need to figure out water, sewer, electric, etc. And zoning is another thing to check out for whichever piece of land you get since often the zoning codes don't allow an RV as a place to live.

Another major factor is living space. Even a large trailer probably isn't much more in total than one (maybe two) of the bedrooms in your house. Also, RVs are poorly insulated, even compared to a park model, and will require spending a lot on utilities -- air conditioning in Dallas is a must, and it takes a lot of propane for the heat in winter -- likely more than it costs in a house in the same area.
Zoning codes? I was thinking living in a camper trailer that would be more freedom… thanks!

They are cute and also thinking about it… thanks

While buying a travel trailer is much cheaper than a stix N brix house, the living expenses can be about the same, but for a much smaller area. Every reply you've received is good information. These guys have decades of experience to share.
While a trailers advertising may state "4-season", that has little to do with the temperature ranges that it can withstand before becoming uncomfortable or unusable. Winter in S. Florida is much different than winter in Dallas; Summer in Florida is much different than summer in Maine. Yet those are summer and winter seasons.
Selling an appreciating asset to just buy a deprecating asset is not good business strategy. Check out the tax angle with a tax lawyer..
I’m reading everyone’s opinion and really considering them, they are making me thinks twice if I really want to do that… not planning to travel, and if I do make a decision I’m still planning to stay in Tx for career purposes… Thank you

The replies are all very good. Are you married have children? If so you very much need to take them into consideration. I sold our house and set up our very large RV in my brother in laws house he lives in the country. It will test any relationship 10 fold and we could occupy their house anytime. Rv living while traveling can be a great time but being stationary will get old fast. I suggest you check campgrounds to see if you can rent a unit for a couple weeks see if it will work for you.
I am divorced, empty nester, and that is one of the reasons I’m thinking about moving to a travel trailer. But with all I’m learning today, I’m considering everybody's advise and opinions… thank you

Back
Top Bottom