Need for Loading Ramps with a Toy Hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HyperCamp

Question, has anyone encountered a need to carry loading ramps in the Toy Hauler?  Ever gotten to a spot where you can't unload with the trailer ramp door?  THANKS!

Nope.
I have had to take ramps for the third wheeler in the back of the truck though....lol
2 in the trailer always have worked with ramp for me.

HyperCamp said:
Question, has anyone encountered a need to carry loading ramps in the Toy Hauler?  Ever gotten to a spot where you can't unload with the trailer ramp door?  THANKS!

I'm just trying to imagine a situation in which you would have the ramp door open but wouldn't be able to use it. I can't really think of that situation. If you are opening the door to access the toys, then obviously the ramp is down and usable.

I have been in spots that weren't long enough to allow me to open the door. In those cases, I just unload the toys before backing in.

Yes. The nose of my wife's Can-Am Spyder hits the ramp before the front tires do. I either have to use extra ramps or find a different place to unload it. If the end of the ramp is very low, it will also high-center where the ramp hinges.

Cranking down the trailer tongue jack on the front hitch helps bring the ramp down to a more favorable angle.

Also (as I found out recently) you should be mentally on your "A game" when loading/unloading your bike.  I already knew that the Toyhauler should be hooked to the tow vehicle when loading/unloading the bike but after a long drive and a hot day setting up camp I wasn't thinking and disconnected my tow vehicle prior to getting our Goldwing out of the trailer.  As I was maneuvering around inside the trailer the tongue jack stand fell (it was one of those red cone type stands).  We are thinking about buying a detachable footplate.  It was a brief but exciting ride (the campsite was not exactly level either).

Using the tongue jack works fine for me. When I first bought the TH I tried to load my sidecar rig with the trailer fairly level, still hooked to the truck, no jacks down. Rig just barely scraped one of the hack mounting brackets. I screwed a 4 foot by 1 foot piece of 1/2 inch plywood down in the bike tracks. This raises the rear wheel enough that the offending bracket does not hit. Even with this in place I will raise the tongue a bit for the extra clearance.

Back
Top Bottom